Make your own Wastegate????

whiplash306

I'm new to all this guys....my '04 STi has an internal wastegate that if I had to replicate, I'd be in big trouble. My '86 GN is basically stock with the exception of Hooker headers, ram air and a KB chip(don't know how old or what series). I've read where people suggest an adjustable wastegate...possibly even making one yourself...HOW??? They suggest also the Walbro fuel pump...what size?...and this "scan tool"...what is this and where can I get it/learn about it???? I'm so new a this and need a little guidance. Probably most important to me right now though is, how do I make the car stop rattlin' this piss outa me at every bump, pot hole, etc.....any aftermarket suspension secrets that I need to know? Car is gorgeous and runs like a dream, but I need help in every other aspect...... http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10223

Check out the rest of that site is well, there's a ton to learn there. Make sure you do the spring cleaning, it's important to get your car running well and tuned before you start trying to make it fast. Also read and search through this and the other boards. Your questions have all been answered before, but I'll answer them again, as that's what wer're here for. :)

The fuel pump most guys use (until they get really fast) is a Walbro 340 with a "hotwire" kit to make sure it gets the full voltage it needs. The stock pump wasn't good enough stock and surely won't be after modding or the effects of time. Replace it.

The easiest scan tool is the Scanmaster II. It's a small box that's permanently mounted in the car, connected to your computer and gives you infomation about knock/detonation and most of the other data you need to tune your car and not blow it up. There is also Turbolink and Directscan but these are laptop based tools that are much more advanced, probably more than you need right now. A Scan tool is basically not optional and should be one of your first purchases.

The best general thing to do for your suspension, as you didn't state exactly what kind of rattles you're getting and where they are from, would be to replace the body bushings. They are probably worn and replacing them should tighten the car up quite a bit and improve you handling as well. After that you can add some additional body bracing (rear seat braces, front corner braces, etc.).

Everything I've mentioned is available from several of our vendors, they are easy to find so I'd suggest you take a look at a few of them, maybe even give them a call and see what else they recommend.

Good luck with the car and welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

-Jade