Main thrust bearing wear ????

listen i'm not trying to start any problems here
i posted this to find a solution to a problem
my problem is the wear on the thrust bearing i want to fix what is causing it not just fix the engine i could pull the engine replace the crank or have mine repaired but i'm not going to do that till i have solved what caused the wear to begin with.
do any of you know me or my abilities as a mechanic NO!!!
and you can plasti gauge bearings with engines in the vehicle its common practice in the diesel field we put a small jack under one of the counterweights and put a slight pressure upwards on the crank then you install plasti gauge and take your readings if you think i'm wrong read the directions for the clevite plastigauge.
as i stated this is a stock engine not a race engine where every ten thousandth of an inch matters if i were building a race engine the engine would be out of the car and everything would be measured the correct way i wouldn't even use plasti gauge
i need to find a solution to my problem and i don't know everything!!!
i do not mess with automatic transmissions and am looking for advice on things to check and to learn why this happened.
i try to do everything i can myself because i like to learn and i thought message boards like this were to gather info from people who have real experience because they have had it happen to them and have learned the hard way
i don't have an attitude i just want to solve a problem myself and not have people tell me that i don't know what im doing when they don't even know me

ok seperated flex plate and tc no rust everything was free so thats not the issue.
anyone know what kind of bolts held the trans in from the factory (belhousing to block bolts) were they flange bolts or just grade 3 5/16 regular bolts with no washers. trying to figure out if trans has been removed or not
i did find some numbers on tc does original tc have any specific markings #'s on it????

have to go to parts store tomorrow to get some adapters for my pressure gauge to check cooler pressure thats next

ok seperated flex plate and tc no rust everything was free so thats not the issue.
anyone know what kind of bolts held the trans in from the factory (belhousing to block bolts) were they flange bolts or just grade 3 5/16 regular bolts with no washers. trying to figure out if trans has been removed or not
i did find some numbers on tc does original tc have any specific markings #'s on it????
They were cheap 5/16 bolts without washers.

listen i'm not trying to start any problems here
i posted this to find a solution to a problem
my problem is the wear on the thrust bearing i want to fix what is causing it not just fix the engine i could pull the engine replace the crank or have mine repaired but i'm not going to do that till i have solved what caused the wear to begin with.
do any of you know me or my abilities as a mechanic NO!!!
and you can plasti gauge bearings with engines in the vehicle its common practice in the diesel field we put a small jack under one of the counterweights and put a slight pressure upwards on the crank then you install plasti gauge and take your readings if you think i'm wrong read the directions for the clevite plastigauge.
as i stated this is a stock engine not a race engine where every ten thousandth of an inch matters if i were building a race engine the engine would be out of the car and everything would be measured the correct way i wouldn't even use plasti gauge
i need to find a solution to my problem and i don't know everything!!!
i do not mess with automatic transmissions and am looking for advice on things to check and to learn why this happened.
i try to do everything i can myself because i like to learn and i thought message boards like this were to gather info from people who have real experience because they have had it happen to them and have learned the hard way
i don't have an attitude i just want to solve a problem myself and not have people tell me that i don't know what im doing when they don't even know me
Are you looking for advice or permission ?

The conv. out of my 86 has the 5 stamped all the way around it and has a tag with 8653420 cbcf. Hope that helps.

ok trans cooler pressures gauge t'd into lower trans line
@idle
p 19
r 28
n 19
od 19
d 19
2 32
1 32
car was on stands didn't drive. with foot brake as much as the brakes would hold i could get the cooler pressure to jump to almost 40 psi in 1st

tc is not original can't find any d5 stamp anywhere on it also its painted black original tc was not painted was it??

Measure the space between the fly wheel bolts and the Torque conv. frt hub?? Sounds like a coan converter?? The conv. may be pushing on the crank??

Been working a lot kinda put on back burner
still have not found cause of wear
theres almost a 1/4 inch between flywheel bolts and t/c .244

its not the stock t/c everything else is stock maybe old convertor was frozen to crank and no one checked thrust after new t/c was put in
only have had car since aug. so not sure

hope i can find the problem soon going to start looking for a crankshaft but don't want to install until i'm pretty sure of the cause

38turbo, that thrust bearing shows NORMAL wear. I.e., it still has plenty of babbit material so the crank is good. Install a new one, properly seat it, and it will also wear until the crank's happy. New rod and other crank bearings will do the same although likely to a lesser degreee. The number one will not due to the accessory belt and timing chain pulling up on them. Put them in and use Royal Purple (or other high-quality oil) with ZDDP. Pour the oil out of the filter every few miles and look for dust. A little in diminishing amounts will be normal and likey dissapate after awhile. Of course its a good idea to check the endplay after 100 or more miles but you're probably okay.