Maiden run

On your first post I warned you about the addiction. I told you that you had to admit you had a problem and you admitted it. Well I don't know the second step! I am what you would call an enabler! I like fast cars even if they are not mine so drink up...

Thank your lucky stars you didn't have the same experience I had. No I didn't blow it up. A friend of mine came over as I was about to take it out on it's maiden voyage so he went with me. I got about a mile from my house and got stopped by a stop light that was the last one on the way out of town. The light turned green and I rolled into the throttle. The next thing I know is that I was doing 80 in a 45 and a county clown (sheriff for you city folk) makes a u turn and gives me a ticket. That was when it was still a factory setup. When you add the Alky you open up a whole new can of worms. If you think 15psi is powerful wait until you feel 24psi. I am such an enabler! 99% of the cars on this board are faster than mine and mine makes me smile every time I smash the fun pedal!

Just remember to keep it a little rich and keep it safe!

LOL... Yes I know all about it. I used to race Mustangs back in the day and the addiction was different. This boost thing is really fun, I went out last night again and admired the sound of the turbo whine... The only thing I am not sure that I like is the sound (not sure of the technical name) of whatever it is when you let off the throttle and you hear that sound. Kind of like the engine letting go of all of the pressure? Is that a waste gate or like a blow off? It's sort of a weird noise, sounds like something spinning out with nothing behind it.

I got a shitload of thumbs up and a group of kids (Yes kids... probably in the late teens) were pointing, admiring, and giving the thumbs up... not sure if they knew what it was. Perhaps there is hope for our youth (LOL, I am not that old). Anyway, another observation I made as I left a red light, and not getting on it at all, my first shift point is very crisp, I was barely on the pedal and it kept chirping the tires. This transmission has to have a shift kit, it is unreal how well it shifts.

When I was out last night I also noticed that mashing the pedal under 45mph will cause the rear end to get loose, and make the boost gauge light up and cause me to smile uncontrollably. The only, and I cannot stress this enough (its a minor complaint) I have for this car is the lack of decent dash lighting, which is somewhat of a "who gives a shit" but I would like to put in brighter bulbs... if they even make them?

The exhaust does not appear stock and it has Flowmaster mufflers, the sound is pretty good, and has a little drone typical of Flowmaster but it does have the factory cat converter, the system is all welded up so I cannot check to see if the cat was gutted or not, and again I don't know what to listen for to know one way or another. I am not sure what, if any upgrades I will make this year. I really think I will simply read and learn as much as I can about these/this car before making any changes or bolting anything on... Not sure how long that will last but that is my plan.

The sound you hear is normal from a hard acceleration then lifting quickly.....all that pressure that was built up has to go somewhere...thats what you hear.

As far as the youngsters I think the only reason they know what it is ....is from the Fast and the Furious movie a few years back....I went to a cruise'n a few summers ago right after that movie came out and as I was driving through the parking lot I could hear a group of teenagers saying...."Look its the Fast and the Furious car" lol! I dont think they really know what it...its just the fact that it was in a movie

You can get the brighter dash lights from Kirban Performance. I would recommend getting on all the vendors websites and check out what each one has to offer.

Fast and furious... LMAO... oh well, I must have missed that one. Was it the latest one? I dont recall it in the original (wasn't that the one with the black charger)

Great maiden voyage! I remember my first time. Driving it home from the car lot. I punched it to pass some slow traffic and I passed the traffic going sideways... :eek: I actually heard my self exclaim that"this was plenty of power for me and that I wouldn't need any more"--- Turns out I was a liar. :D

Enjoy the car and keep an eye on the KR. If you can swing the Alky it is very reassuring to have. Once summer is upon us, hibernation will have ended and there will be some powerful cars roaming the streets. You don't want to get caught "sleeping".

Fast and furious... LMAO... oh well, I must have missed that one. Was it the latest one? I dont recall it in the original (wasn't that the one with the black charger)

Okay... well I need to research exhaust then... SOB... I don't want to replace the whole catback, the system looks relatively new. I can just swap the mufflers... I will research but I am open to opinions, but please tell me why you suggest something (ie. power is #1 concern, sound is #2 I like the growl)

chamber mufflers are no good for boost cars chamber mufflers create back pressure which you will come to learn boost and back pressure is no good at all
best cheap exhaust is the pypes ss duel its a 2.5 sounds good bolts on great if you wanna go to the next level 3 inch rjc down pipe and a cottons racings 3 inch stainless exhaust is a mean sounding well fitting set up this is just my 2 cents but i am pretty certain allot will agrea

The first time I laid into mine it blew off the intercooler hoses cause the dummy I bought it from, took it out to clean it and didn't put the clamps back on... Boy that scared me not to do it again for almost a week hahaha
Now it will run like a bat out of hell and it's still not even close to fast enough! hahaha

Congrats on the car though man! Hopefully it won't piss you off to much lol

First time I matted the pedal in my car, I was on my way home from buying her in New Hampshire. I passed a few cars before shutting it down. One of the cars I passed, a 2000 Mustang GT, gave chase. He was pretty disappointed that a 17yr old in an 80's Buick kicked his butt.. TWICE! My father, who came with me to get it, was curious how I got home so fast... hehe :D. Enjoy the car and follow every bit of advice these guys give. DO NOT do anything more than Alcohol injection.. Otherwise you will find yourself in modification hell haha. I bought this car completely stock.. Now it has a bit more power than stock.

Zack

My first ride I was hooked . I have a 79 T/A and sold my 67 Coronet . My Ta is my first car but I drive me GN more . Its jsut more comfortable .
For five years I kept my GN stock but one day I decided I wanted it to be my car and started adding bolt ons . Just do you homework read up and you will be amazed how much more this car has in it .
Good Luck

tzque - I still have my GTX, and in process of restoring the '79 TA... but REALLY enjoying the GN

blackdeathtrap - I have decided on Magnaflow mufflers to weld into my catback that is on the car now since the pipes are new. My only question is should I lose the cat converter while I am doing this? I noticed they make a straight pipe to remove the cat converter.

Guys I live in Michigan, we have no emissions testing.. Is there any reason at all that I would want to keep this catalytic converter?

None that I can think of.. Unless you actually care about the environment! :p. I took mine off.

None that I can think of.. Unless you actually care about the environment! :p. I took mine off.

That is what I figured... the guy from magnaflow said I was nuts for not removing it already...

Nice to read about the "first impressions" of the Buick Turbo ride, which would take me back to Nov 1978.... when I traded my 72 super beetle in on a 79 Buick Sport Coupe. Took a few mods before I could even power brake it.... but hooked ever since. Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight, take your time, and read, you'll be fine. As for the addiction everyone is talking about, I have no idea what they mean..... ha ha It's to late for you too!! Your already a goner..... Welcome to the world of Buick Turbo's my Brother...... may your check book have a lock on it.....

Chuck