Maf

87gnNV

Ive heard of people removing the second screen how is this done and is it really worth it?
thanks

U can remove it if u want. There are two screens inside and as long as u don't remove the second one u should be ok.
There is a slim plastic ring on the outside of the screens. Just take alittle screwdriver or a pair of pliers and pull it out towards u and the first screen should come out.:)

ok

ok the first one is the one closest to the air filter right?
should i even do it? what kind of gains do you get?ive also heard of removing the screen on the ic is that safe? what kind of gains would i get? thanks can u tell im new to this.:D

Re: ok

Originally posted by 87gnNV
ok the first one is the one closest to the air filter right?
should i even do it? what kind of gains do you get?ive also heard of removing the screen on the ic is that safe? what kind of gains would i get? thanks can u tell im new to this.:D

You have the last remaining intercooler screen still on a car. It's purpose was to keep new england leaves out of the IC. You won't have that problem in Nevada, I bet, so there are no downsides in removing it.

If its a stock delco MAF, I'd just leave it alone. They are discontinued and are worth more untouched. There is a gain from removing one screen, but its smaller than the gain from adding a Cone K&N filter or porting you turbo elbow or many other cheap mods.

Do not remove the first screen between the MAF and the filter. My car would not idle when I forgot to put it back in. The back screen really does nothing and I would remove that. I am switching to an LT1 MAF this weekend and I cant believe the difference in the two designs. The stocker looks quite restrictive.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Do not remove the first screen between the MAF and the filter. My car would not idle when I forgot to put it back in. The back screen really does nothing and I would remove that. I am switching to an LT1 MAF this weekend and I cant believe the difference in the two designs. The stocker looks quite restrictive.

If it has a "back screen" (on the turbo side of the circuit board) it is not a stock design and yes those are very restrictive. A stock MAF has two screens in a row on the filter side of the circuit board (no screens behind the board). The general consensus is you can remove one of the two inline screen, with no ill effects, though I don't recommend it to anyone since the GM MAF's were discontinued.