MAF Problem or TCC Solenoid?

iwantatta

This maybe a stupid question because they seem like totally different things, but i'm trying to trouble shoot a hesitation issue.

I first noticed it on the highway as it would start bucking. It would go away as i gave it more gas. But its starting to do it just putzing around town.

As i need to get my car smogged things have gone back to stock and i've done the regular maintenance stuff (fuel filter, spark plugs, oil, stock fpr, stock air filter) and the problem still seems to be there.

I'm still on the original MAF so i went ahead and ordered a cardone one (i've read all the threads but right now don't have the money for a translator).

But after more searching, it seems like maybe it could also be the TCC Solenoid. Are symptoms of a bad maf and TCC similar?

re: bucking

the bucking is the TCC sticking. A transmission oil cooler should do the trick. If not, replace the TCC switch but the cause of the sticking TCC is overheating transmission oil...been there did that.....dave

iwantatta said:
But after more searching, it seems like maybe it could also be the TCC Solenoid....

Possible. How is your speedo though, is it working properly? The ECM engages the converter at around 40-mph, and locks it above that, but if the signal to the ECM is a little skewed, it will engage and disengage the converter repeatedly because it cannot decipher an accurate MPH. That is exactly what mine did, and my speedo was way off to boot, and I'm running Speed Density by the way....

My speedo is working fine. Scanmaster seems to be reading similar numbers too.

I figured i'd take it in to get it smogged to maybe give a clue. It was able to pass so i'm guessing my original maf is okay.

While i took it in the mechanic noticed a vacuum hose to the turbo was off so he replaced it since it was cracked. Not sure if that was my hesitation problem but hope it is. Haven't driven it around enough to tell for sure.

He didn't think it would be a problem with the hesitation unless i would see it on boost. I'd still get hesitation even under a light load.

i had the same problem.. unplugged the connector on the trans and the bucking went away. easy diagnosis;)

i had the same problem.. unplugged the connector on the trans and the bucking went away. easy diagnosis;)

Is the plug inside the trans or is outside somewhere?

Is it okay to drive with it unplugged? Would overheating the trans be an issue if you do it too much?

I notice it more when letting of the gas so i try to give it a little more so it doesn't do it all the time.

iwantatta said:
Is the plug inside the trans or is outside somewhere?

Outside....

iwantatta said:
Is it okay to drive with it unplugged? Would overheating the trans be an issue if you do it too much?

It will not overheat, you'll just be running unlocked and gas mileage will suffer....

iwantatta,

did you unplug the connector on the trans to determine the TCC needed replacing? i'm assuming if it were bad and it was unplugged the bucking would go away. Also, how bad was the TCC replacement?

my TTA seems to be exhibit a similiar bucking and its gotten worse no matter the throttle pos or the load its under :(...its becoming immensely irritating :mad:

I didn't unplug the connector.

By the time i'd be able to get it up on the ramp, i figure i'd just take it in to my mechanic. I had been doing enough work on it getting it ready to pass smog :). Really didn't feel like fiddling around with draining the tranny oil if it was the TCC. My car hasn't been to my mechanic (DRW Transmissions) in a few years anyways so figured i needed to get it checked out.

If you feel like doing it, i'm guessing it should be a fairly quick job. They had it diagnosed and changed within a few hours. Actually kind of funny because i was taking the trolley back home, and by the time i got home they called me and told me it was done. I was planning to just leave it there overnight.

Car is still running fine knock on wood.

Almost two years to the date that i replaced my tcc solenoid and i think i'm having similar problems again. Car doesn't get driven that much so don't understand why i may be continuing to have problems.

I did add a alchy kit with a new turbo tweak chip about 4 years ago. I have had the car since 2004 and hadnt had a problem with the solenoid until recently. Could the chip be putting more abuse on the solenoid for some reason? I'm not sure its the solenoid yet, but its sure behaving like it again.

When my TCC died, It would take off from a dead stop like it was in 3rd gear and kind of shake a little. Once I was up to speed, I would get fish bite. When I slowed to a stop, the car would almost die while bucking and shaking. Thats my experience for what its worth.

Could transmission problems cause the tcc solenoid to go out? Having to replace solenoid 2 times within only a two years span.....

Under load it doesn't seem to want to lock. When i'm driving casually its fine, but stumbles everyonce in a while as it tries to downshift.

I'm kinda worried about that. Car has only 41k on it.

Parts go bad more so from sitting and not driving the car
Buy a new solenoid and call it a day
Drive the car some more :)