MAF down stream of turbo.

rw87tt

What is wrong with mounting the MAF just up stream of the throttle body? The DSM crowd do it all the time when they go with the 3" or 3.5" GM sensor. Does any body on here have it up stream of the T.B.?

I'm also interested in this setup. I believe it's possible to get more air through it blowing rather than sucking.

I believe someone has done it, maybe they'll chime in.

Fluid dynamics does not distinguish between blowing or sucking through an object so that has no effect. The MAF is however somewhat dependent on the air temp reading if I remember correctly, so you'd have to put the temp sensor after the turbo along with the MAF as the temp of the air increase when pressurized.

Maybe the lowered restriction on the turbo inlet will help though, every pump has a certain NPSHR that affects how it will pump.. its been a little while since i studied this stuff though.

Ok scratch the NPSHR thing it is only for making sure the pump wont experience cavitation which wont be an issue on a turbo.

ran with my MAF (3" lt1 with translator) on the 86 in the up pipe after a FMIC (cas v2) for years with a tt chip , no issues
, before i went to alky i had it right in front of the TB, when the dual nozzles went in I moved it to just off the FMIC outlet and it fit nicely under my radiator support

Better not do it with the stock plastic MAF.

Somebody recently ran close to 140 MPH with the stock MAF. If your car is in the 10's or slower.. you have bigger fish to fry.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good info. It makes more sence to have it there than up stream of the turbo. It would be worth trying to see if you can tell a differance.