maf counts

gsbuick65

hooked up a snapon scan tool to my 84 to see if i could find out why its running rich, and the only thing that i can find wrong is the MAF counts read 240 with engine off and key on. could this be why its running rich? idling it reads 8-9, thanks, mike

Originally posted by gsbuick65
hooked up a snapon scan tool to my 84 to see if i could find out why its running rich, and the only thing that i can find wrong is the MAF counts read 240 with engine off and key on. could this be why its running rich? idling it reads 8-9, thanks, mike

Hmmm, wish I new more about the hot air cars to help. But I can say this, 8-9 at idle on an 86/87 car would be WAY TO HIGH :eek:
Key On Engine Off (KOEO) on an 86/87 car should read the MAF table's lowest value, depending on the chip in use this could be 3 to 5.

Your MAF may not be bad. I hooked up the Snap-On scanner to my '84 and MAF counts were all over the place while running. I changed out the PROM chip to a Posten 93 chip and suddenly the counts were accurate. I don't know if something was incompatibale with the scanner, but my car definetly ran better and the scanner was perfect. Just a thought. How are your readings when the car is running at idle and WOT?

How are your readings when the car is running at idle and WOT?

idle is 8-9, wot goes up but not sure to what

Mike,
With the scanner in the "safe to drive" mode go drive the car and look at the MAF counts. At WOT the readings should be somewhere over 200. Also you can try the tap test. With the car idling tap the MAF sensor and see if the idle changes. If it changes when the sensor is hit, it is bad.