MAF Cleaning

realspartan

Hi guys,

I recently installed one screen in my MAF since both were missing. When I started my car after the install RPMs shot up to 1800rpm, lowered to 1000rpm and then fluctuated from 1000rpm to 1200rpm. It was not like this before installing the screen; without the screen it was as smooth as silk. I did not touch the inside of the MAF to damage anything and all connections are tight. The only thing I can think of is using a long screw driver to remove the screen a couple of times after I tried to figure out how to install it with the rings. I was very carefull not to touch anything on the inside of the MAF with the screw driver; I just used it to push out the screen once or twice...

What's the problem now? When the car warms up after 2 minutes or so the idle does not fluctuate any longer and remains stable at about 1000rpm. Do I have to reset anything by disconnecting the battery?

Ironic, car was perfect and now it is not. Just wanted to be on the safe side and make sure it was not running lean. Reminds me of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Today I took out the screen I installed put everything together and have the same problem. Maybe my MAf needs to be cleaned? Have any of you ever cleaned your MAF with an electrical cleaner spray? Should I do it or will I damage the MAF? I noticed my MAF is dirty and a little oily after I installed the screen. Do you think a cleaning will solve my cold idle problem?

Regards,
Realspartan

I installed one screen

not sure if a cleaning will solve your problem but if its dirty you might as well clean it, just be sure that you use a cleaner thats made for maf.

[Reminds me of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Yeaup! Ask me about tail light improvements!:rolleyes: Truer words never more said.

Bruce '87 Grand NationalB]