Machine shop drop off...

noahzark

...just dropped my engine off at the machine shop...my block is being bored .20 over ...i have diamond pistons, k-1 rods, cat crank, rjc girdle...so im getting them to machine the caps, align bore/hone, install girdle,cylinder bore, parallel deck, main and rod bearings and just buying the cam bearings from them, i own an auto shop and am in auto tech school ... ya a little backwards but im older and dont work well for others...anyway he was asking about bearings and i assumed clevite and he agreed with that or federal mogul race ones...so im just wondering if either of those are fine or one better than the other or is there better ones?...also this shop has done a few buick builds but is there any clearance numbers i need to give them?...i asked they said no ...but any specific info i can give im sure cant hurt...anything else i need to let them know?...thanks ...noah.

YES you do need to give clearance specs!!!!!!

others will chime in on this. I would say for a street strip motor I would be at0015 bearing clearance for the rods and mains. Wouldn't go over .002 on the mains unless your going to spin high rpms (6500) and have a high volume oil pump. I would recommend the machinist getting a pair of torque plates. Don't let him touch the motor if he argues with ya. Chvy clearances will leave you with bearings starving for oil. Hope this helps.

Bearings

I would go with the Federal Mogul. I think the Clevites are soft aluminm type but I could be wrong. I use the FM.

thanks for the info ill let them know about clearance of .0015...and ya he has the torque plates...thanks...noah.