M&A Heads

Renato Velati

I have a couple of questions about M&A aluminum heads:
How many different castings were there?
How to tell the difference between castings?
What size valves did these heads come with?
Whats the general consensus on these heads?

Thanks.

i think m&a had 3 stages of heads.
i have a set of stage 3 on my gn and love them.i have been told they are prone to cracking but have had no trouble with mine.

Do you know how to tell the difference with the three different castings. Is there a casting # on yours to show that its a stage 3?
Thanks.

upside down

but look it the intake side of the head

Attachments

• IMGP0088 (Small).JPG
    IMGP0088 (Small).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 442
i think m&a had 3 stages of heads.
i have a set of stage 3 on my gn and love them.i have been told they are prone to cracking but have had no trouble with mine.

Same here. Love em- never leaked or cracked.

There aren't 3 stages. All M&A heads are designated Stage III. I have a first generation set. It has the same Stage III marking.

I'm not sure what you're asking. How do I tell if it's marked with Stage III? It looks identical to the pictures that have already been posted.

I'm maybe confused. :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong. So all M&A heads are Stage III? No stage I and II? And there were 3 castings? With the third supposedly being the best. What's the difference with the terminology? . The original poster asked how many castings then someone said there were 3 stages made (implying castings).

So if there were 3 castings, how do you know what casting you have if the StageIII stamp is meaningless?

I'm maybe confused. :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong. So all M&A heads are Stage III? No stage I and II? And there were 3 castings? With the third supposedly being the best. What's the difference with the terminology? . The original poster asked how many castings then someone said there were 3 stages made (implying castings).

So if there were 3 castings, how do you know what casting you have if the StageIII stamp is meaningless?

You're thinking of production runs. I don't know how many production runs were done with these heads. When I bought mine brand new, I was told they were from the first production run. Buick has already used the term Stage I and Stage II for their heads. I think M&A just came up with Stage III for theirs. I don't know if there is anyway of telling which production run the different sets of heads are from.

Remember with M&A Heads

1-You will need to grind the push rod holes so the new push rod doesn't rub on the head.
2-Get a good T&D or Jessel rocker arm setup. The stock rocker geometry is all screwed up.
3- $50 dollar gaskets or cut some chevy small block 0 ring gaskets to fit the valve covers.
4- you may need to machine 3 thou off the valve covers so the rocker arms don't click on them.

Or buy some champions and be done.

I love my M&A's now but damn what a "pita" getting them to work.