M&A Heads Valve Cover Gasket Question

Buickturbo85

Loves The Buicks
For those running M&A heads, what valve cover gasket are you using? I've got the FelPro 50156T, which is the blue rubber gasket with the metal core. I thought I read that this is the correct gasket, but I'm having trouble getting the gasket to line up in the receiver groove in the head.

The heads previously had an orange rubber gasket w/o metal core, but the clearances with the T&Ds were too tight with this alone. So the previous owner used this orange gasket with a cork gasket siliconed to the cover, but this combo leaked like crazy. I was hoping the 50156T would give me the clearance I need. BTW, I'm using the taller buick power 6 covers, and the clearance is still tight. Any help is appreciated.

The orange gaskets are the correct & only gaskets to use. I don't understand why you would be having a clearance issue though? These heads come with a stud style rocker, did you convert them to T&D shaft style rockers with the stands that bolt to the heads?

Jano

TA Performance!!!

If you have M&A heads and the correct valve covers, The correct gasket can be bought from "TA Performance" and tell them you need valve cover gaskets for the Buick 231 V6 M&A Alum. heads. (I looked at my invoice but no part#) Cost is $49.95 and is well worth it!!! ;)

TA Performance
16167 N. 81st ST.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260-1806

(480)922-6807

The orange gaskets are the correct & only gaskets to use. I don't understand why you would be having a clearance issue though? These heads come with a stud style rocker, did you convert them to T&D shaft style rockers with the stands that bolt to the heads?

Jano
Look at his above post! he's not having clearance issues, He's having gasket issues "not fitting". Yes the orange ones are the only way to go! not only do they fit great, but they are re-useable...

Thanks, I'll call TA tomorrow. I assume the covers are correct (they are much taller than stock), as the engine was put together by the previous owner. Covers have just 2 bolts in the center. And yes, the engine has 1.6/1.65 T&Ds shaft-mounted rockers, and the valve covers have actually been clearanced to fit over them! I think that is why he had the orange gaskets combine with the cork gaskets, to gain some extra space. But it just didn't work, and leaked all over the place...

I'll take a pic tonight so you can see what I'm up against.

Here is how it looks. I'm just afraid with the orange gaskets alone, that I'll not have enough clearance. Why else would the prior owner have stacked 2 gaskets? Maybe I can use the orange gaskets in the heads, and silicone some rubber ones to the covers if needed? I would like to avoid buying spacers if possible.

DSC02661.jpg

DSC02660.jpg

DSC02659.jpg