Lug Nut Locking Kits, or Security Locks??

Torx

Does anyone use lug nut locks or anything?

I cant seem to find any anywhere, for our gm g-bodies.

If anyone has some good links let me know

I use the keyed McGard locking lugs for my T wheels and American Racing wheels.

Conical type.

Pep Boys has them.

I didn't mean don't use those, I meant I haven't used them. Spose they'd work ok, I just've never had the need for locking lugnuts. With my luck I'd loose the bit you need to take them off...

David

My wife had tires put on at a local tire place. I needed to take wheels off to change springs and ended up stripping the McGards on 3 of the 4 wheels using the correct "key." I don't know if they over torqued them, but I suspect they didn't. I do know that I'm fully qualified to take a tire off, so my opinion is that McGards can be a PIA. To get the wheels off, I had to drill through the end of the McGard and drill out the lug, then replace the ruined lug. Pretty much tripled the time it to to replace her coil springs. She parks in a secure lot at work, so I'm not too afraid of wheel theft, but I'd consider using them again if I had to park it outside or in a marginal neighborhood. I don't know if they are made of hardened steel or not, but they should be. The key stripped the ends out like they were made of butter, I mean even before putting much torque on them. Yes, the key was fully seated into the wheel lock.

I broke a key at the track on friday. It went crunch and sent me flying. :D

Had a spare in the toolbox for such an occasion, well actually I am more prone to losing one than breaking one, so I thought.

Key is weaker than the lugs I believe.

Locks are about 9 years old now on salvageV6, just beginning to rust at the insides of the keyway, which isn't chrome.

I only torque my wheels to about 80 ft. pounds, torque spec. is a bit high in MHO at 100.

Never lost a wheel or a lug nut for that matter.

;)