Ls turbo swap or build 3.8 ?

Ok what about Brian, oh Bison his blue car with lord know how many runs with a stock bottom end. !!!!!!'

and how many runs on it with 9 second power ... 50 ?? and that's 1 car ... do you even realize how many LS's are out there doing that routinely .. come on lets be realistic here ... for every 9 second GN .. I bet there is 50 9 second LS cars

and how many runs on it with 9 second power ... 50 ?? and that's 1 car ... do you even realize how many LS's are out there doing that routinely .. come on lets be realistic here ... for every 9 second GN .. I bet there is 50 9 second LS cars
Last I heard it is over 700 However I'm NOT saying the LS can be beat to hell forever.

for you me and most I'm sure your right. However Bison is a tuning guru, even aircraft. Richard has told me next to Cal there is none better

you can be a GURU all you want .. that power level takes its toll on parts ...

After 50 mid 10 second passes I could see deterioration of stock parts ... All the tuning in the world isn't going to STOP that ... just slow it down .

I seriously doubt 700 9 second passes on a stocker ... matter of fact I seriously doubt 700 9 second passes on ANY Buick V6's

you can be a GURU all you want .. that power level takes its toll on parts ...

After 50 mid 10 second passes I could see deterioration of stock parts ... All the tuning in the world isn't going to STOP that ... just slow it down .

I seriously doubt 700 9 second passes on a stocker ... matter of fact I seriously doubt 700 9 second passes on ANY Buick V6's
You may well be right , however a blind hog will rout up a acorn every now and then

WE agree most of the time .. but seriously .. a 9 second 109 with stock stuff is a timebomb ..

Let me say this .. I absolutely love the little V6 in the buicks ... its a fantastic motor that was ahead of its time and embarrassed a lot of V8's in its day ...
but in todays times.. its best to leave it in its glory days ... a Boosted LS will just run circles around the little v6 ..

Those that are sticking their necks out to defend the 231 obviously have NEVER personally seen a Turbo LS in action ... 9's are just stupid simple and they will keep doing it over and over.
Guy few towns over has a turbo LS ( LQ9) with just a few mods done and is in the 9's in his 3600 # firebird ... Last time we were at the track he had over 300 9 second passes on it ..
NO F'N way a 109 is doing that .. I bet a STAGE 2 would have issues being able to do that ... I mean they never were able to even finish a Indy race let alone win one.

The V6 has its place .. for upto 500 hp .. I'd never switch the little guy out .. its a great little motor... OVER 500 hp... screw that give me a Turbo LS any day
I understand where your coming from all is good,I felt the same way you do when I put the car together years ago and just wanted to see what kind of time I could get out of the car I am surprised and would have switched out the combo if I got no time it,but I do have a top notch engine builder and trans guy and have a lot of tuning time,drive time,and very good parts in the car.there are and have been some fast gns in my area our time combos are in excess of 700rwhp and stay together for years.hooking the car repeatedly dead into a track loaded with vht is super hard on parts regardless if it's a V6 or v8.every car I have seen given enough time has broken 800hp and up.some go longer some shorter.

I know a ton of guys that track race and street race.the track guys with v8s break a ton of stuff leaving hard even with the better parts the engines are only one aspect of the build

Its not like the GN's are RARE ... they made a BOAT load of them[/QUOTE]

I guess you've never bothered looking at the production numbers? What's even rarer though, are bone stock, 9,800 mile GNs with original paint and bumper fillers. So, please keep modding the hell out of em. And, I especially love when you put non-GN parts in em, too.

tapatalk_1474480453423.jpeg

Last edited:
I will tell you the ls stuff would be my last choice.BBC and sbc are a far better performance/reliability choice.nothing is cheap if you want good stuff.

Maybe that's the reason Dusty runs a BBC! I see a lot of the 10.5 cars run BBC, don't see too many of these LS motors in them???? I guess they just don't know how to make power yet:rolleyes:

That's why ruining buicks with ls motors is lame. 25 of those 50 are junkyard engines with a turbo that will bend a rod the next pass. Also someone said these were common. In 87 they made 20,193 we2 cars. So that would be within 1000 of a c2 corvette (63-67). 27590 turbo cars altogether in 87. That's any regal with a turbo. 7896 in 86. 4204 in 85 and 5204 in 84. And again to each their own. It's your car do what you want

Ok rich Clark built u a9 second combo have u run 9 with it and how many times did u doit

Exactly..... Doesn't matter how well they're built or who builds them, you get hammering on that little 200 and it's gonna fall apart.... Getting on it while driving it on the street and launching at the track are totally different.

I can't believe you guys are STILL arguing on a subject that will never be settled. :ROFLMAO:

There are always things that play a part in the OWNER'S decision:
Performance goal and the effects on the car. (Full cage, chute, etc etc)
Budget/Shop and own capability evaluation.
Cool fator, determined individually.
Emotional decision on the car/platform.

This argument is like my buddy trying to convince me to be a Dallas Cobweb fan. Not happening regardless . . .

I also read about some of the big boys. IMO: A big boy is not someone who runs a 5 sec 1/4 mile but someone who understands where THEIR line is. My line is different than many, and I know EXACTLY where mine is.

Thanks for the chuckle guys. I'm out . . .

I can't believe you guys are STILL arguing on a subject that will never be settled. :ROFLMAO:

There are always things that play a part in the OWNER'S decision:
Performance goal and the effects on the car. (Full cage, chute, etc etc)
Budget/Shop and own capability evaluation.
Cool fator, determined individually.
Emotional decision on the car/platform.

This argument is like my buddy trying to convince me to be a Dallas Cobweb fan. Not happening regardless . . .

I also read about some of the big boys. IMO: A big boy is not someone who runs a 5 sec 1/4 mile but someone who understands where THEIR line is. My line is different than many, and I know EXACTLY where mine is.

Thanks for the chuckle guys. I'm out . . .
This thread just ended on a high note !!