Ls turbo swap or build 3.8 ?

"Buick Community, Claims of 8, 9 and 10 second power all day but never been down the dragstrip. Never raced a full 1/4 pass. Can be seen NEVER going down a track near you. I go to the tracks around me all the time for 19 years now and I rarely ever see a Buick let alone something faster than a basic 11 pass."

Ahhh, totally true..... I listen to some of these guys claiming there GN is beatin these LS cars yet they can't even beat my TL typeS.

Here's what kills me. It's not about Camaros or Corvettes or any other specific car for that matter. It's about what motor is better. That's it! I don't care what MomMom's GN ran..... Does anybody know anything about the LS cars MomMom ran against? My guess is NO..... Let see how MomMom's GN does against Dusty Bradfords car. Dusty has an LS motor in his GN. So take MomMom's GN to the track and lets see if she smokes Dusty's GN. I'll bet my balls against your dollar MomMom's GN gets torched!

Fact is, most of people that buy these cars nowadays make a few modifications to them. Maybe have a stock motor rebuilt or put a few bolt-ons on and then automatically think they have a car that runs 10's because they've read some threads on Turbobuick.com and someone else wrote the same thing about their car.

The average (hence the word average) person that buys these cars are not poring in tens of thousands of dollars in them and if you don't you're not going to beat the LS cars. Simple as that. Like I said earlier, it all comes down to physics and math.

I chose to rebuild my stage 2 V6 because I already had too much money into it to back out…but like I said in my earlier post, if something big happened (like blowing the V6 apart with nothing left to salvage), I'd definitely go with a built LS no matter what the GN "purists" say.

and

Sorry but I totally disagree on that. Like it or not, the LS engines will slowly replace both small and big block Chevys for racing. They make way more power with a lot less cubic inches and built strong enough in stock form to be used in conjunction with blowers, turbos, nitrous, etc...Of course there will always be some fans of the old Chevy V8's (like the ones who like Ford flatheads) but these engines are destined to be used by nostalgics who attend car shows and some occasional nostalgia races…
Don't get me wrong… I plan to keep my GN "all-Buick"…at least for now and I love to drive my big-block Chevelle BUT… I still think that LS's are the future engine of choice for GM powered race cars.

That's sooo true!… I often noticed that when I go to the track, I rarely see another GN other than mine. There might be another one every now and then but that's it. Where are these "fast turbo V6 guys"? They're only seen at events like the BG nationals but never seen at any weekend races at the local track…:rolleyes:

Claude.
You can disagree all you want but we race our stuff all the time I see all kinds of different cars at different weights with different induction systems and different drivers, bbc on spray is real tough to beat.track and street are totally different animals though and I can't believe a lot of the things I read on the forum which are very different from what I have seen and done with my own eyes.there are guys that set their cars up for the street only.

Well for me I'm having Richard Clark build me a 9 sec engine trans and all the goodies from scratch putting the 14k motor and trans aside, and really don't care what it cost. When you get my age you really don't care. Now if I want to go really fast it not going to be a LS nothing. I'll go to the airport and crank up my gulfsteam jet, can even bring eight of my friends with me.

You can disagree all you want but we race our stuff all the time I see all kinds of different cars at different weights with different induction systems and different drivers, bbc on spray is real tough to beat.track and street are totally different animals though and I can't believe a lot of the things I read on the forum which are very different from what I have seen and done with my own eyes.there are guys that set their cars up for the street only.
I do race my GN also…in fact, I've been racing it for 30 years!… Believe me, I know what it costs to build and run a 9 sec turbo Buick…:eek:

Claude.

Sounds like a Hugh pile of :poop:.. The OP asks about an LS swap, and all the rest pile on.....:LOL: SMH.
For all the "fast guys", there's always BG, in Sept. Come on out, break some shit, drink some beer at Toot's, and let's see who the posers are!:D
I'm leaving the black rat at home, as Dusty is demanding I give him the leave....:smug:

In the past I used a billed 64mm to make 9 sec power and on a 200 as well with the AC cruise stereo etc,3800lbs 20k+ hard driving,also with a stock block,and stock crank too.everything cost and it's really the car itself that needs the full attention which would need to be done anyway.

WE agree most of the time .. but seriously .. a 9 second 109 with stock stuff is a timebomb ..

Let me say this .. I absolutely love the little V6 in the buicks ... its a fantastic motor that was ahead of its time and embarrassed a lot of V8's in its day ...
but in todays times.. its best to leave it in its glory days ... a Boosted LS will just run circles around the little v6 ..

Those that are sticking their necks out to defend the 231 obviously have NEVER personally seen a Turbo LS in action ... 9's are just stupid simple and they will keep doing it over and over.
Guy few towns over has a turbo LS ( LQ9) with just a few mods done and is in the 9's in his 3600 # firebird ... Last time we were at the track he had over 300 9 second passes on it ..
NO F'N way a 109 is doing that .. I bet a STAGE 2 would have issues being able to do that ... I mean they never were able to even finish a Indy race let alone win one.

The V6 has its place .. for upto 500 hp .. I'd never switch the little guy out .. its a great little motor... OVER 500 hp... screw that give me a Turbo LS any day

I've been in both communities a long time. Here's the difference.

LS community, seen at every track hammering their LS builds every weekend. Claim the power and thousands of videos, dynos and sightings to back it all up.

Buick Community, Claims of 8, 9 and 10 second power all day but never been down the dragstrip. Never raced a full 1/4 pass. Can be seen NEVER going down a track near you. I go to the tracks around me all the time for 19 years now and I rarely ever see a Buick let alone something faster than a basic 11 pass.

100% agree.... the LS guys torture their shit all the time ! and it keeps on tickin ... the buick guys are always wrenching , doing new builds

You're from Ma, I'm sure you know of Russ and Melissa. They drive that GN everywhere and race it or test and tune it a lot. It's a legit 9 second street car that is heavy. Got a/c and full interior. It's a 109 block with a 200r. Russ built both. The LS platform is new and well designed. There are plenty of parts for them. Like all performance engines the better parts are more expensive. A mechanic friend of mine has built a Corvette supercharged LS for a customer. It's broke just about every part front to back. They decided to build the engine with lower cr and all the correct parts. It cost much as a Buick engine to build. Going back to the original poster, it's all set up for the TB, in the long run it would faster and easier to fix by putting a TB back in. There are no LS swap kits that give you soup to nuts drop in engine, trans, engine management and exhaust for a gbody. It absolutely can be done but not without fab work. If your so against TBs then why do you even own one? I don't get it.

Correct .. and just as important as HP ... its for big boys that don't want to rebuild shit every season
I don't know anyone at that level that doesn't expect to freshen up the engine after each season. That's just a fact of life at that level.

good luck on your 14k 9 second build ray whatcha how hard it is to run 9 with a 200r4 trans
I really doubt they are going to use a 200r4. Also if they get in the 9's then great. It will then be de- tune to a mid 10 sec. car. As I only drive the car maybe 3 or 400 miles a year. Pretty sure a 400 trans

You're from Ma, I'm sure you know of Russ and Melissa. They drive that GN everywhere and race it or test and tune it a lot. It's a legit 9 second street car that is heavy. Got a/c and full interior. It's a 109 block with a 200r. Russ built both. The LS platform is new and well designed. There are plenty of parts for them. Like all performance engines the better parts are more expensive. A mechanic friend of mine has built a Corvette supercharged LS for a customer. It's broke just about every part front to back. They decided to build the engine with lower cr and all the correct parts. It cost much as a Buick engine to build. Going back to the original poster, it's all set up for the TB, in the long run it would faster and easier to fix by putting a TB back in. There are no LS swap kits that give you soup to nuts drop in engine, trans, engine management and exhaust for a gbody. It absolutely can be done but not without fab work. If your so against TBs then why do you even own one? I don't get it.

Maybe because I like the lines of the car .. or in my case I like the anxiety a GN brings about to the person lined up next to me ... it has nothing to do with the V6
Personally I don't even care if it has a Small block Ford in it ... IF it belts out the power , is reliable, and I enjoy it .. that's all that matters ... PURISTS can go F off

Its not like the GN's are RARE ... they made a BOAT load of them

I don't know anyone at that level that doesn't expect to freshen up the engine after each season. That's just a fact of life at that level.

Obviously have never run a Turbo LS.. or you wouldn't have posted that ... 9 second power is no issue and don't need a every season rebuild like the 231 ( that is if it even makes it the season )

pronto u think they have not broken a ton of parts running 9s U no better then that.

Last edited: