LQ9 Install

I finally got started on installing the motor. Got the edelbrock intake in. I was wondering if it would fit, it does barely... Currently working on finishing the motor mounts and then back to insalling the interior now that I have finished the roll cage.
I installed the ultrabell, but had to machine it to clear the rear cam shaft cover bolts. Now it need to machine the bell off the th-400 and install it before I can finish the motor mounts.
I really like the intake it gives it the feel of the original V6 just bigger!

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

looks great

i am i the process of buying parts to put a 6.0 v-8 in mine...i am wanting to go with a t-56 though...i will be watching you:) the eldebrock intake looks great too......Bob

Would you mind if you get a chance... Measure the over height of that intake from the valley pan to the highest point?

Thanks

Arthur

Looks great!!

That intake is the icing on the cake!!!!! Where did you buy it? Do you have a part# for it? Keep the pic's flowing please!

Terry,

This is an aweful stupid question, but do you think the passender side stuff could still clear the a/c box with a 3.5" downpipe running down there?

keep the pictures coming.

I'm not sure I took my ac box out before I did my old 4" down pipe. I'm sure that 4" is the biggest you can go with out an ac box though. That is unless you modify the floor board or the frame. Well I guess you could always do the oval tubing too though.
4inchdownpipe.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

That intake is the icing on the cake!!!!! Where did you buy it? Do you have a part# for it? Keep the pic's flowing please!

Found this at West Coast Racing Cylinder Heads:

Edelbrock LS-XT intake manifold.
We've combined the intake and fuel rail kits into one low price!
Our intake package includes intake #7139 (plain finish) and fuel rail kit #3629.

Combination Sale Price $577.43!

I am pretty sure it's the same manifold.

Looks good man!

Terry,

interesting that some of the parts I bought from you awhile back has made themselves back to DFW.

Is the LQ9 a L92 headed motor? If so... can we have some insight on what you're doing to the motor? crank, rods, pistons, cam, valvesprings? that's it?

Been trying to do some research for a very similar combo.

No I was going to do the l92 but decided to keep the "cathedrial" port heads instead. All I know is first i will probalby see just how much power the stock block will take with no mods to the internals, I have quite a few of these motors so I have spares to play with. My plans after that will be a cheap ol eagle bottom end and some decent heads and then see where that gets me. My reson for this motor was all the plenifull parts and the cheap price compared to the v6. I think I can get this stock block to run 9's with the right tune, but we will see. I plan on using alot of used parts in these motors too. My setup will be twin 75 borg warners and a bottle so the power potential will be there when everything gets sorted out. I just want to tinker and see what I can do. Right now I tinkering with a turbo supra powered nissan 240 so I will be back on the buick soon.

I had L92s and was going to go that route but after finding out it's not that hard to make 800-900 with stock 317's I sold them besides the deck is a lot thinner on L92s.Also after Parish went 9.40's with a cam only cheap 70 turbo 5.3 fairmount I am still thinking I don't even need a 6.0 you talk about having some spares the 5.3s are stacking up in the yards around here and going mid 9's would be fast enough for me

This is making more sense the more research I do on these newer heads. L92's, since they're used in the bigger trucks, must have those thinner decks for combustion chamber cooling since they're running the engines so lean for fuel mileage.

Terry, seems like the stock pistons/rods are good for about 800 or so. Maybe you can start off with just 1 turbo?

Will that intake clear the stock hood with your setup? I'm doing a similar build but never thought of using the edelbrock intake. Looks like it has brackets for a cabled TB too. Great info so far. Keep the data coming. I'll try to post some info from my build as I progress. I know some F-Body guys putting some huge numbers down with the iron 6.0L blocks and unported 317 heads.

Finisged the motor mounts tonight.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Going to mill off the top of the manifold throttle body pad so the hood dosent touch.

Very nice.

Any particular reason you chose that exact engine position? At a glance.... it looks like you could move the engine forward an inch or so..... and maybe down an inch or so..... and gain some clearance around the head and valve cover on the back pass side.... and maybe some hood clearance as well.... just not sure what that does to anything/everything else.....

I would like to see one of these in there with the a/c box in there.......

Great pics by the way.....

I had a th-400 in the buick with the V6 before and I put it back on with an ultrabell and to save money I wanted to reuse my custom drive shaft and this is where the transmission cross member and drive shaft located the motor position. It has about 1/4" clearance between the fire wall and passenger side head. This motor is heavier than the V6 with aluminum heads I had so mabe this will help by moving the weight back, if it even does.