Low MAF readings

terik.m

I thought GNs are black
Okay so I got my Translator from FT and a used GM 3" MAF. I took my TR out for a spin and I am still getting really low MAF readings and KR. Readings via the powerlogger for the maf are at 160 grams p/s @ wot. The translator is set to on on on off dial 1 is set to 3 and the other dial i didnt touch. The maf is facing the correct direction with the arrow pointing towards the turbo. If i dont get this figured out soon im going to sell this thing and go back to sbc...but before i make an irrational decision let me ask does it matter which 3'' maf i use or does it have to be from a lt1 car?

Okay so I got my Translator from FT and a used GM 3" MAF. I took my TR out for a spin and I am still getting really low MAF readings and KR. Readings via the powerlogger for the maf are at 160 grams p/s @ wot. The translator is set to on on on off dial 1 is set to 3 and the other dial i didnt touch. The maf is facing the correct direction with the arrow pointing towards the turbo. If i dont get this figured out soon im going to sell this thing and go back to sbc...but before i make an irrational decision let me ask does it matter which 3'' maf i use or does it have to be from a lt1 car?

If you want the wot maf number to go up, turn the wot knob in the translator up. ;)

Make sure your not over boosting.

If you want the wot maf number to go up, turn the wot knob in the translator up. ;)

Make sure your not over boosting.

Haha...underboosting is the issue :frown:, I have had this thing at only 11# for the last 8 months trying to figure out my knock prob. But youre saying that if I turn the MAF WOT knob up a notch or two then it will read more than 160 grams p/s? I thought that knob does nothing when used with a tt chip.

Haha...underboosting is the issue :frown:, I have had this thing at only 11# for the last 8 months trying to figure out my knock prob. But youre saying that if I turn the MAF WOT knob up a notch or two then it will read more than 160 grams p/s? I thought that knob does nothing when used with a tt chip.

That would explain why you af number is so low. Low boost = low air flow.

Makes perfect sense now. Maybe I missed those sections of the instruction manuals.

quick question about what im reading. i have the translator plus. atleast thats what it says inside when you open it up. it also says version 4.0 my dip switches are also 3 up and the last one down. the first dial is set to 1. i thought i read in the TT info that came with my chip there was no use for the 2nd dial. is this correct? or does it affect AF readings? i have a 3.5 inch ls1 MAF.

In general the WOT knob does not affect a TT chip because usually the MAF reading will have hit 255 at WOT. However, if the reading is less than 255, then the WOT knob will have an effect.

thanks eric. the car runs great and ive never really checked the AF at WOT but ill take a peak.

Thanks TurboBuRick and Eric, MAF readings went up and KR sort of went away. The KR Im getting has to be false because I get a 1.5 deg when Im on slight incline and the KR will pop up when not on the throttle so I think something is banging around. It doesnt knock when on flat road. So I threw another 2 lbs at it bringing me to a whopping 14# and there was no KR when tested on flat road. Finally I can start throwing some more boost/alky at it. Hopefully I can squeeze 18# out of it by the end of tonight.

It seems that 14# is about all I can get out it without KR right now. I turned the boost back down to 10# to be safe. Im starting to think the fuel pump is a POS even though about 3 months ago it seemed fine rising 1:1. Check out my PL file if you could and let me know what direction I should go.

10-12# Boost
FP 43# line off
+10% WOT Fuel thru TT chip in 3rd/4th
Translator Base 3 WOT 9
DIY Alky Pump @ 100# with a m15 nozzle 50/50 water/isopropyl

* Set your PL to 2 Bar Map

Attachments

• no lmock.zip
    42.1 KB · Views: 32
MAF reading way too low.

On the back of the cover of your Translator, it lists what the WOT settings mean. "9" is 14% LEAN which is lowering your MAF readings.

Your BLM's are also low, which means you can set the MAF base to the leaner setting.

So, set the MAF base to "5" (leaner), and set the MAF wot to "7" (14% rich), unplug the ECM power to reset it, and drive around a while. Then record another log like you just did, and we'll go from there.

Eric

Alright Eric so I made the adjustments and simulated the same conditions with the exception of +10 thru your chip. No knock so I assume boost goes up a little from here right? PL file attached...set PL to 2 bar MAP.

10-12# Boost
FP 43# line off
Translator Base 5 WOT 7
DIY Alky 100# m15 nozzle 50/50 water/isopropyl

Attachments

• 10#translatorbase5wot7.zip
    110 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Eric youre the man!!! I inched it up 22# with a blip of 1.2 KR that only shows up right when I get on it but goes away, it does that at 10# so I am pretty sure its false. For safe measures Im turned it back down to 18#. My O2s never drop below 760mv. This is the strongest this car has felt in 2 years of owning it. I know I ask a chit load of question but I seriously appreciate the help from everyone who has chimed in. Next on the list:

Install Comp 980 Valve Springs, New DR Timing Chain, Kenne Bell Cam and New Lifters, Walbro 255 (just because IDK whats in there now).

End of Summer
TE 60 from FT
TH400 RMVB with a brake.