Loud tapping from water pump area??

Luke

I've just finished a head gasket job less than a week ago with great success. The engine's been running better than it ever has. One day after I re-torqued the heads (this may not be related to the issue), I'm starting to hear a RPM dependant tapping/rattling noise from the engine under a load that. I went through all the usual stuff, checked for a cracked flexplate / loose converter bolts, exhaust pipes rubbing. I found my dipstick was a little loose on the header stud and the electric motor on my exhaust cutout was too. After I tightened those up, the problem didn't go away. I started to worry it was a rod knock (having never heard a rod knock before). Then I was probing around with a stethoscope to see if I can pinpoint the problem and I heard a metal to metal sound coming from the water pump/cam sensor area. The water pump is a new "High Flow" pump from Fullthrottlespeed.com (which does a great job of cooling). Is it common for high flow pumps to make this noise or go bad or is it just the cam sensor? Would it be best to replace the cam sensor anyway since the car has 115,000 miles on it? As always any help or direction is appreciated.

Luke

Pull the cap off the crank sensor by removing the two screws...

Then see if they is any slop in it by turning the "gold thingy" = )

It really shouldnt move from what Ive been told...

Wont hurt either way to replace if its THAT old.

Does your radiator hose have the spring inside to keep it from collapsing? I have had them creep into the water pump causing problems. Hope this helps.
Bryan

That could be it!

Does your radiator hose have the spring inside to keep it from collapsing? I have had them creep into the water pump causing problems. Hope this helps.
Bryan

It does have the spring and that never occured to me. That sounds very likely to be the problem. I'll check it out this afternoon. Thanks!

Luke

Pull the cap off the crank sensor by removing the two screws...

Then see if they is any slop in it by turning the "gold thingy" = )

It really shouldnt move from what Ive been told...

Wont hurt either way to replace if its THAT old.

I'll give the crank sensor a once over but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Maybe just wear or dirt? Are you saying it may just need to be cleaned or does gunk buildup mean it's time for a replacement/rebuild? Thanks.

No Not Cleaned Check To See If The Screw In The Middle Of The Wheel Inside The Cap Came Loose An The Pick Up( Gold Thingy) Is Woobleing Around

I put the stethoscope on the cam sensor and it was definately the cause of the noise. I also cut off about 2" of the spring in my lower radiator hose because I didn't see a need for it to be in my water pump.

It sounds more complicated to do than it really is. If you are unsure of the procedure do yourself a huge favor and get the Caspers cap/tool.
Bryan

???

Ok... I changed the cam sensor on friday. I ordered casper's cap but it hasn't come yet. The car was running fine but it was still making the tapping noise? I was stumped. So I drove the car around for a little bit to listen and think about what the noise could be. I got into the throttle enough to bring it up to 10psi of boost in 1st gear, shifted to 2nd then let off. I coasted about 1/8th mile and came to a stop light. That's when the my oil/choke light came on! I drove it straight home and haven't started it back up since. I checked out my oil and it's starting to look a tad bit gray and foggy on the dipstick I don't see metal speckles but I haven't drained the oil yet. Could my oil pump be bad? Is it too late for me? What else should I check?

I'm ordering a high volume oil pump and an oil pressure guage today. I'm going to install the guage to check the pressure before I put the pump in.

I think you better drain that oil and take your oil filter apart before you do anything...

That's a given!

I think you better drain that oil and take your oil filter apart before you do anything...

Definitely going to do that!!

By the way, There is no more noise from my cam sensor when listening throught my stethoscope. I think that was caused by a loose washer underneath the interuptor ring...