Lost to 2006 ZO6, by inches :(

My best times are in my sig., I am referring to what the previous owner had run with the car prior to me.. and that was with Nitto slicks. He was running more injector, a bigger intercooler and a TA-61 turbo. I have videos of the car running 11 flats with this combo and it was on the stock suspension. Maybe I should post them here, he claims a low of 1.38 and consistently was in the 1.4's for 60' times,.. I take no offense and do not have the timeslips, but I know for sure it will go into the 1.5's as I've seen it before I bought it.. Maybe one of the previous owners of this car would care to chime in...

I've gotten 60' times down into the 1.60's and my best was a 1.63 with drag radials. I was at 1.80-1.85 most of the night during these runs.. not too shabby with street tires, it squats nicely.
I believe 1.50's on 275-60-15 DR's. I still dont believe much of what the previous owner told you about the cars performance. 1.38 is total BS. Nitto does not make drag slicks to my knowledge. Only drag radials. I have 275-60-15 DR's on my black car and they would not pull off anything anywhere near a 1.40 if the suspension was perfect and the track was perfect and i have a lot more power on hand. Id have a hell of a time going high 1.50's on them. M/T has the best drag radial. It takes about 750hp in a 3500lb car with 10.5 inch tires and an optimized suspension to run consistent low 1.40's and occasionally break the 1.40 mark. There are occasional bad asses that have gone low 1.30's on small tires with 700 hp, but they are few. I believe 11 flat on the stock suspension but the 1.38 claim is way off. Maybe the timer wasnt working right and he started the timer off the rear tires? Ive seen it happen before but it only knocks off .05 in a high eleven car. Another thing about suspensions and 60 ft times is that you dont want your car to squat. If it is its wasting power squatting and the rear end is not accepting the weight transfer like it should. The instant center of gravity needs to be relocated by raising the upper control arms or lowering the lower arms. The rear should be thrown into the pavement on launch.

the 1.38 claim is way off. Maybe the timer wasnt working right and he started the timer off the rear tires?

I'll see what I can find out, I myself have gotten down to 1.63, so 1.5's don't sound all that unreasonable, they could been Drag Radials, but he called them slicks?? I don't know. And never did I claim that I knew for sure that the car ran 1.40 60' times, just telling you what the previous owner had told me.. and I hope he chimes in.. Don't worry I didn't buy the car under the assumption that it would be giving me 1.40 60' times, I bought it for fuel economy, of all things, lol..

I can only go off of what I know for sure about the car. I have videos showing flat 11 times.. Like 11.02, 11.08 etc. Its never been in the 10's. but like I said that was with more injector and more boost with the TA-61 Turbo..

What I meant is that the rear end sits nicely, the way it should, it digs really well. Pretty surprising for a stock suspension. I agree about the upper control arms, and possibly anti-hop bars to keep the tire consistently on the ground.. Will a pinion snubber help too?

I don't have any dyno numbers as of yet, but I'd estimate in the 500-550 hp range wouldn't you? The torque is phenomenal, thats all I can say, and it pulls hard all the way to the traps.

I'll see what I can find out, I myself have gotten down to 1.63, so 1.5's don't sound all that unreasonable, they could been Drag Radials, but he called them slicks?? I don't know. And never did I claim that I knew for sure that the car ran 1.40 60' times, just telling you what the previous owner had told me.. and I hope he chimes in.. Don't worry I didn't buy the car under the assumption that it would be giving me 1.40 60' times, I bought it for fuel economy, of all things, lol..

I can only go off of what I know for sure about the car. I have videos showing flat 11 times.. Like 11.02, 11.08 etc. Its never been in the 10's. but like I said that was with more injector and more boost with the TA-61 Turbo..

What I meant is that the rear end sits nicely, the way it should, it digs really well. Pretty surprising for a stock suspension. I agree about the upper control arms, and possibly anti-hop bars to keep the tire consistently on the ground.. Will a pinion snubber help too?

I don't have any dyno numbers as of yet, but I'd estimate in the 500-550 hp range wouldn't you? The torque is phenomenal, thats all I can say, and it pulls hard all the way to the traps.
Your hp numbers are accurate. ON the chassis dyno you should put down about 500 to the wheels on the tune that you went 121 mph with. The correcting of the instant center is he most critical in conjunction with a big rear bar and a really good hooking tire on a well prepped drag strip. HR has the most effective bar i have seen on these cars at this point. Others as well as i have done wel l withthe ATR bar also.

The car leaves HARD, the issue I have is down track it goes into full boost right away and the tires break loose, just need to practice feathering it, would it be a good idea not to lock up the torque convertor in 2nd?

I think 1.80's are respectable 60' times with street tires, don't you? And I'm not "leaving" with full hp, as the car is only starting to boost. I know there are some improvements to be made in the rear end, but its decent the way it is.. surprisingly.

Go with a larger exhaust a/r to slow it down a little and pick up some mph. A closed loop wastegate with electronic controller would make it easier to hook as well but is expensive but needed when under tired for consistent launches. Id bit the bullet and go for some m/t DR's.

Nicely written and good race. I think he let off up top though because his mph seems low to me. Corvettes are hard to beat. Maybe next time?

Yeah, I think so too, I have a video of the race somone filmed in the stands, I'll be posting it soon.. I think he thought he had me and got out of it.. Wasn't expecting my car to pull like that down track...

Congrats on waking the car back up to where it should be running. What kind of air press. were you running with your stock tires? I ran a best of 11.69 with a high 1.8 sixty on a hot day at Buick day at Norwalk "99" so you still have a little bit more in it. I would not expect more than high 1.8's on regular street tires which is still damn good. I tried to sixty at the track on street tires with a Jackson intercooler installed...... forget it, didn't happen. As far as the sixty foot times when i got the car into the 11.0's..... the best sixty i got was 1.59 leaving at 12 psi on the emergency brake. :eek: Wish i could have gone 1.4's but like others have stated, pretty much not possible with the setup. Nice to see the car is running good. Take care of it..... I miss her dearly!:frown:

opps forgot to mention...... I believe the front sway bar is off the car already unless it was put back on when i sold it. Really didn't make that much of a difference as far as driving IMO. It will help at the track if you remove it again.

1984 Monte SS

Hi Scott and Mike. Glad to see you have talked about running the car. Mike, I had installed the 8.5 rear with an Eaton posi when I bought it back from you. I also swapped the TA-61 for a TA-60 for street drivability. Running street gas at Quaker City in Norwalk, I ran easy 12:60's with a good tune. I also raced a stock Z-06, a 2003 with 405 HP. Beat him 4 out of 5. Torque convertor lockup bogged the car on the run I lost and wire came off of alternator. Vette was running 12:70's to real low 13's. He trapped 112, I was at 107. All of the info that went with the car, installation notes that I had made when I did the conversion, parts receipts and time slips were lost when I took the car for a ride and left all of that on the rear fender. Dang it! I have since bought a 1967 Jaguar XKE convertible to play with. (not easy to work on). I too miss the Monte (owned it twice) and am sure Mike or I would buy it back if you ever decide to sell. Take care and keep in touch.

Its nice to have people fighting over my car :). I believe I had the air pressure at like 25-27? I don't remember exactly, but I took out several pounds..

Gary, has the front sway bar been re-installed? I am pretty sure its still there, the car handles too well. Too bad about the receipts. They would be really nice to have.

Send me a PM if either of you would like to make an offer, I can sell it, as the money for me is tight right now. The entire undercarriage has been undercoated and I used POR15 on the frame. I also had to install a new fuel pump, Red's XP+ and ran a hot-wire kit, but now the guage doesn't work right. Not sure what to do about it except run a new sender. Its possible the guage just went out or the float is stuck, but haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet. I also installed a trunk kit, and did a ton of detailing under the hood, its truly a show car now, just need to have it repainted as I don't like the way the "new" paint on the hood and roof looks and the left front fender has some body issues.. not anything I did, but I am told that when the engine was out last, this happened. I know what I paid and have put into it. Which unforunately was proabably way too much given that its not a TR< but I love the car...

Scott

1984 Monte SS

Yes, the sway bar was installed by me when I bought it back from Mike. I did notice a difference when I put it on. I sent you a PM

I thought so, but Mike got me worried, I thought I remembered seeing it there. It should make a BIG difference as far as handling goes, and its plenty fast for me.. It will be faster with a little tweaking.