Lost oil pressure

I doubt it's the oil galley plug. They're the originals, and they're still staked in.
When I get back the shop today, I'll check the oil pressure cold. If it's low, I'll pull the pan the check the pickup tube & gasket. If that's good, the pump comes back apart next, and if that checks out, the engine will have to come back out.
Just out of curiosity, why where the original galley plugs left in? I would have wanted 25 years plus of a plugged oil galley, properly cleaned out on a new build.

What's really scary is whatever crud was behind them that got loosened during the cleaning/building process.

"Just out of curiosity, why where the original galley plugs left in? I would have wanted 25 years plus of a plugged oil galley, properly cleaned out on a new build."

"What's really scary is whatever crud was behind them that got loosened during the cleaning/building process."

My thots, exactly!:yuck:

I guess one could consider that "rebuild", more of a parts change out.

I guess one could consider that "rebuild", more of a parts change out.
Many different definitions of rebuilt always comes out in the automotive world , you hear rebuilt from rings and inserts to full blown rebuilds all supposed the be the same , yea right .

Many different definitions of rebuilt always comes out in the automotive world , you hear rebuilt from rings and inserts to full blown rebuilds all supposed the be the same , yea right .
"Rebuilt" The most commonly thrown around word in the automotive industry. This trans was just "rebuilt" 2000 miles ago. My buddy gave me this "rebuilt" turbo. The engine was "rebuilt" last year. When I hear the word rebuilt I pretty much know that whatever it is is a pile of shit. Rebuilt to what spec? Why was it rebuilt? Who rebuilt it? I'll take the stock untouched unit over the rebuilt almost every time

This whole fiasco started out as pulling the engine to put new bearings in it and seal it all back up. It quickly turned into polishing the crank, new front cover, new cam & lifters, oil pump & timing chain. It was never supposed to be a complete build...hell it wasn't supposed to go as far as it did. I found one damaged main bearing, a couple worn lobes on the cam, and two slightly bent valves.
When I can afford it, this car will get a nice short block built for it, or I might do a turbo LS.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Did you clean out the stock oil cooler or bypass it? Bearing debris can get stuck in the oil cooler and make its way back into the oil system.

With two worn cam lobes, I'm going to assume some of that grit was hanging out behind the plugs and in small nooks and crannies. That stuff likes to lay and wait to grind up on new components.

Reusing an oil cooler is basically introducing a metered grit injector. Hopefully you didn't reuse anything that can hold debris.

I removed the oil cooler years ago.
The cam wasn't wiped. It just had a couple lobes that were thinner than the others.
I changed the oil, which came out pretty shiny, and filtered it through a paint filter. There were no pieces left over, and nothing in the filter.
There is a cold piston slap at about 1700rpm, that goes away after the engine its warmed up. The turbo spins freely now too. I'm going to finish putting it together, and see what happens.
It has 25psi of oil pressure hot at idle, and almost 70psi at 2500 hot.
If the noise gets worse, I'll pull it back out and do something else with it.

Glad to hear the turbo is working better. Does it sound like a LS engine?

It does sound a bit like a cold LS engine.

Were you driving down 111 today through Danville? I saw a really clean silver T on my way back from Epping.