Losing oil

BRAD_PADGETT

I have an 85GN with a remanufactured engine from Jasper and a rebuilt stock turbo from Poston. Both have about 3000 miles on them. I have recently observed that I am losing a quart engine oil on average every 475 miles. Is this normal? I do not see any smoke coming out of the exhaust and there is not any oil on the garage floor. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad

I'm running on a second motor and an upgraded turbo. I have a similar, if not the same, problem. However, I know there is an oil leak. I see a drip of oil on my fly wheel cover. I have looked at it myself and have had a few mechanics look at it. No one can find the source of the leak. It is an average of about 500 miles or so before I have to add a quart. You could almost set your watch by it, almost.

Originally posted by silverbetty
I'm running on a second motor and an upgraded turbo. I have a similar, if not the same, problem. However, I know there is an oil leak. I see a drip of oil on my fly wheel cover. I have looked at it myself and have had a few mechanics look at it. No one can find the source of the leak. It is an average of about 500 miles or so before I have to add a quart. You could almost set your watch by it, almost.

Rear main seal, intake manifold, or plugs in the back of the block.

My mechanic put in some dye into the engine which after five days of driving will determine the leak. Apparently, after five days of driving the engine will show all oil leaks clearly under a black light. I will know the results on Friday when I take the car back. If I forget to post a reply, please e-mail me and I will gladly give you the results of my test. Thanks- Brad

not to sound like a schmuck, but it's a jasper engine, there are stories about them, not uncommon either. I'd reccomend a search, you'll get the idea.

I HAVE TRACKED DOWN THE OIL LEAKS. tHE DRIVER SIDE VALVE COVER LEAKS WHICK IS NORMAL. THE MAIN LEAK IS COMING FROM THE TURBO. THE OIL LINE FROM THE TURBO INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD IS LEAKING WHEN UNDER MAX. TURBO BOOST. THE RUBBER GROMMULATE FROM THE TURBO INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD CANT TAKE THE PRESSURE. OIL WILL BYPASS AND DROP ONTO THE CROSSOVER PIPE AND BURN OFF. I WILL MONITOR THE OIL CONSUMPTION CLOSELY AND THE PROBLEM SHOULD IMPROVE WITH TIME AS THE ENGINE IS BORKEN IN. THE CAR DRIVES LIKE A ROCKET AND I AM PLEASED WITH IT. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. BRAD

Leaking valve cover gasket is NOT normal...also, when under boost, the oil return grommet shouldn't be "leaking, because it can't take the pressure"...IMO, the problem you have is blowby...Either your piston rings aren't seated properly, or blown headgasket or your intake manifold has a leak into the lifter valley, but what is happening is you are pressurizing the crankcase of the motor, which will force oil out everywhere(valve covers, grommets, rear mains, etc)...

You need to do a leakdown test on your motor...That will tell you whether you have a bad headgasket or a ring problem...It that checks out okay, then you may have an intake leak...

Oil Leak

I have an oil leak as well. Its comming from the grommet in the back of the intake - where the oil return line inserts. Smells of burning oil (crossover pipe) and leaves spots on my garage floor.

Anyone know where I can get a new (or even used) grommet ?

Dealer or someplace else ?

I believe the part you are looking for can be found in the Turbo Charger Parts and Gaskets section of the poston catelog or website. turbo oil drain gromet $5.75

I may have an answer to my problem. I lost my new turbo(stock) on my new engine (3500 miles) this weekend. I talked to Poston and they stand behind their warranty on the turbo. They recommend that you change the oil feed line with a new turbo. I did not do this nor did they recommend this when I bought the new turbo 4 months. ago. Poston said that with a partially plugged oil feed line that oil will remain in the turbo upon shut down of the car and burn off. This situation will eventually starve the turbo of oil and will freeze it up. This makes sense to me (an accountant) which may explain my oil loss of 1 quart every 500 miles on a new motor and no real leaks from the engine nor smoke from the exhaust.

I would like some expert opinion on my situation. Thanks Brad

Finally have the car back. The oil leak started from last May when I had the new turbo put on the new motor. The turbo seal was leaking oil into the exhaust system at the rate of one quart per 500 miles. After 3500 miles the CAT converter became very clogged and stopped the turbo from boosting at all. The oil line into the turbo was clear. The new turbo so far works well. The first time I punched the car I broke the drivers seat mount off the floor boarts and lost all hesitation( This car is not a rust bucket but is a money pit.) Thanks for all your input and I will always be a GN owner. Brad