looking to upgrade turbo need help!!!!!

bwash44

I have a 87gn with a ta49 bored .20 with 206 lunati cam have walboro 340 with hotwire 2800 converter stock injectors alky kit rear air bags tt chip rebuilt trans hooker headers/downpipe. Exhuast what size turbo and injectors do i need to run mid 11s i have 10" slicks new on my car please give me input on a turbo and injectors

You need some race gas and a little over 25 psi, good traction, and a good tune.... and you should be able to go mid 11's with your existing turbo. You might get there with pump gas and alky too........

I agree with blazer. Maybe get some 42.5 injectors

Good catch.

If you got to buy injectors and you don't plan on going faster than low 10's at some point...... I recommend the 60's and a matching TT chip. They will work fine even with a stock turbo. Heck... I'm running high Z 80's with a stock turbo at the moment.......no issues....

Im looking at either 42.5 or msd 50s im currently runnin 23psi do i need to get a alky chip

Im looking at either 42.5 or msd 50s im currently runnin 23psi do i need to get a alky chip

Unless you already have the other injectors...... step on up to the 60's. They will idle and drive better than the stockers on a bone stock car. Don't be scared of the 60's. Only buy once.

we have a stock motored ta49 car pump gas alky on the stock injector and alkycontrol running at 25psi on drag radials.

i would recommend the scanning tools to moniter things so you can dial the car in,then purchase based on need.i ran a 42lb injecter and alkycontrol on the ta49 turbo down to 11.1 and was not maxed out on the injectors.

Mr. Spool, how fast did the stock injector car go at 25 psi? How much boost did it take to go 11.1 with the 49? What converter was in that car. This information would be make your post more useful to the OP and others that are in the same situation.

im suggesting that he go get the proper scanning devices to dial the car in and i believe that makes my post pretty usefull.if the thread starter is looking to upgrade the turbo to run mid 11's he is barking up the wrong tree the 49 is more than capable as i and others in the board have proven.i wasted plenty of passes guessing if i had the right parts to make the number when all that was needed was the right scanning tools.i ran a 3200 protorque 10.5 lockup.

I have a scanmaster 2.1 that im using should i get a widpe band 02 bc i got ac delco stock in it now

I have a 87gn with a ta49 bored .20 with 206 lunati cam have walboro 340 with hotwire 2800 converter stock injectors alky kit rear air bags tt chip rebuilt trans hooker headers/downpipe. Exhuast what size turbo and injectors do i need to run mid 11s i have 10" slicks new on my car please give me input on a turbo and injectors

i was told hooker headers are no good for our cars.(actually make them slower) I know this because i bought them without asking people on here. And I hear from other people that 60lbs injectors make you sluggish off the line. I wouldn't know still have my 42s. and havent rode in a car with 60's

the wideband is a nice tuning tool to have and will allow you to really see the tune in detail.i have both and the narrowband is way behind and not detailed enough.

i have the 60 and duel nozzle on my gn with the rpe motor.i had a stock motor with the 42 and ta49 turbo,both injectors were great on the street with the tt chip.with a really big injector that is not needed with the alky it can get trickey tuning out all that fuel.on the other stock motored car i mentioned it runs great with the stock injectors and a single nozzle with the 49 on the stock motor and runs 25 psi all day.the tune was worked on to get up in boost as i was a little hesitant with the stock injector.its very smart that each tb owner that wants to go fast get the tuning tools and gets educated to make the proper changes to their own car.what tune works on my car may not be the tune for yours.

I agree with you guys about the proper tools and that you can (many people have) go deep into the 11's on the stock injectors. IMHO, it is not as "safe" as using some bigger injectors. The stockers go over 100% duty cycle with the stock turbo. This is far from ideal. Alky does help. If you stick with the rule of thumb to keep duty cycle 80% or less, then the stock injectors are a bad idea. Can you use them.... sure. If you have to go out and purchase a set of new injectors, I am a big fan of the 60's unless your goal (now or in the forseeable future) is faster than mid 10's. IMHO, the 60's drive better and idle better than the stockers did.

If you are really going to do some tuning, I recommend a power logger and a wideband.... and a TT wideband chip. Makes things alot easier.

Using a set of stock injectors is crazy. Especially if they have never been cleaned/flowed. You would need to bump te baseline pressure fairly high and dump a lot of methanol in to use them to mid 11's without leaning the engine at high rpm. I'd go for anything 42lb/hr or larger. The chip must be burned for the intended power.

I personally dont like 42s.I never could tune them as well as Bluetops .They were always rich on the bottom end and hard to spool.Of course that was years ago and could have been Reds chips.my car was an 11.80 car all the time with Bluetops and a TE44 same as a TA49 best was 11.69
That was all with a stock IC
I ran 50s on my other car for about 2 years and they will lock up at 90%DC
I would take the advice above and go with the TT package and 60s or if you are on a low budget look for some used Bluetops

Also LOSE thase headers and put stockers back on if you want it to run .You will never spool to get a good 60 foot with the Hookers

Ive never had the problems with 50's locking up but i may have ran more voltage and always had a good harness and never had them over 75psi. Ive ran them static many times with no issue up to 129mph with alky. Ive ran 42's up to 124mph with alky and no problems.`I havent run the pintle blue tops since 1997. I never had a problem with them either. I do remember them taking a lot higher pressure than the rotary disc style injectors and continuing to flow more fuel though. I remember having the pressure at full boost at or over 80psi with the blue tops when i tried a friends TE62 turbo way back then. I was tuning off a voltmeter off a narrow O2 at the time and the fueling was maximized on the chip. The only way i could get more fuel in it was to crank the baseline way up.