looking to buy a car with a problem! Help

Xvetteowner

I passed on the 1986 GN I was looking at a few weeks ago and found a 1987 WE4 83k miles minor mods. Drives great, No rust, solid car. The owner (A straight shooter) said the noise I've heard from the front of the engine is mostly a timing chain as per his mechanic ( It sounds like something touching the fan blades) In fact it reminded me of baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle. The price seems very fair (5500) Based on the known history of the V6 do you think this could be a wise purchase? Or are the V6 known to have bigger problems other then a timing chain? The car nice looking, few small dents,clean inside and boy does it run good.But if the odds are it needs an engine then that price isn't so good. Thanks for any input.

When I had a similar noise it turned out to be the crank sensor rubbing on the reluctor ring. Simple adjustment and tighten solved the problem.

I'd get a mechanic friend of yours to have a look and listen even if you had to pay alittle. Just as a precautionary- you wouldn't want to make a costly mistake even though it could be a good deal. Might be worth the $ for the inspection and peace of mind. Good luck and don't rush into one as with the economy, it's a buyer's market right now.

Thanks for the input

From what I can tell/see about the car in question is a tight,fast rust free car that without taking the timing cover off is a roll of the dice, Either a nice deal or big expense waiting for a new owner.

I would go for it, Azbob is most likely correct. The crank sensor is mounted to an aluminum bracket that has a screw through it and it tightens the sensor similar to the way a bench vise works, if loosened, the sensor can slide in the bracket from side to side and if not aligned properly, the reluctor wheel will hit the sensor and make exactly the noise that you are describing. The sensor is on the drivers side of the crankshaft pulley. Take a look and see if this is the source of the noise.

Matt

( It sounds like something touching the fan blades) In fact it reminded me of baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle. The price seems very fair (5500)

crank sensor hitting reluctor ring? intercooler fan hitting something?.... or at worst, perhaps the nylon shredded on the timing chain tensioner (if the owner changed the timing chain to a roller and neglected to remove the tensioner)... in any case, not an expensive fix..... if you think it's the tensioner, don't drive it as the chewed up nylon migrates to the oil pan and will clog up the oil pump pickup....

Most likely the crank sensor rubbing..... happens to ALOT of people....

Sounds like a bargain.... :)

I would not hesitate to buy this car. IMO it would be worth 5500 even with a bad motor by the way it sounds.

Crank sensor hitting? How about the crank sliding around w/ a thrust brg gone......

These cars constantly need work so buying a GN with engine noise would be great if you have the patience and willingness to fix them. Me personally being in the garage fixing my car is a sick form of therapy.

If you dont, then just be patient. It is a buyers market and a car without problems might be a better start.

I would figure if the seller is a mechanic type, and if he is why not fix it so he could sell the car for more? Might be more to the story then... Being a buyers market I would still beat down the price, and give it some time.. not many people out there buying to begin with much less with engine noise...

It really is a buyers market

I co-host a financial radio show,The things I hear are bad, But worse then that, This Goverment plan to help could ( In fact many people are betting it will make things much worse ) drive rates up higher then in the mid 70s, Car loans 20 percent or more with 5 years. Many on Wallstreet, my home town Greenwich and around the country are shorting stocks, In effect betting they will go down. Any time the goverment gets involved in something for the most part it ends bad.

I'd be more worried about the body and interior being good than the drivetrain. It costs more money (and even a lot more time) to fix that than a motor that's for damn sure. I would deal witha motor problem any day instead of dealing with the rust bucket outside in my garage.

That car does appear to be rust free

It may need a paint job being its still the factory one, But a WE4 driven to my house 60 miles by the owner ( Very nice guy) for 5500 dollars. With a really clean inside does make you think..... This could be that good deal

It may need a paint job being its still the factory one, But a WE4 driven to my house 60 miles by the owner ( Very nice guy) for 5500 dollars. With a really clean inside does make you think..... This could be that good deal
You could be right,just check,check,check that body over.I found a year later a carefully hidden rust hole above the fuel filter area on the floor pan.No biggie but still.If it's a T roof car look for stress cracks in the roof area,with original paint should be alot easier to spot than a re paint that may have been a contestant on the game show,"Bondo-rama"Hardtops are a little more scarce than the T roofed cars with that option, from what I understand

I was thinking the same thing.

I agree with these guys. Like you said, its a buyers market. You are getting a great deal, whether its a small problem or a larger one.

These cars will go back up in value one day when the market isnt so sh!tty.

Find out how much your mechanic friend would charge you to put a new shortblock in the car, cause thats the worst case scenario. They can be had from the "part for sale" section on these boards all the time.

Besides, if it does turn out to be the crank sensor, you're in luck! Go look at the crank sensor and see if it is rubbing. you should be able to stick some thick paper between the sensor and the ring. Im sure someone here can post a picture for you.

-my 2 cents.

I bet the innercooler fan is hitting the passenger side innercooler bracket. If the crank sensor was hitting the ring, chances are it wouldnt be running because the sensor would be bad by now. The IC fan is very very close to the IC bracket. BUT, I would buy the car either way, like Jesse (usetaboost) said, a good body is more important than the drivetrain. Although both are costly, you can get an entire motor for $1500 off the board. You'll pay a ton of money to get a rusty car fixed.