Looking the right turbo combo

buickgeoff

I am looking for a new turbo because my last turbo is shot. Im planning on putting the on alky kit on soon and wasnt sure if I should go bigger because of the intercooler. Ball bearing or roller? keep the garret turbo, etc.

Thanks for the help guys

Determine how much power you want to support and what converter you are going to use if other than stock. It's easy to make power but having it last isn't that easy. The trans will need attention

The previous owner had a shift kit installed and last winter I put in a 3000 stall in the car. As for HP Im looking for a 11 sec quater mile or maybe 600 HP car.

buickgeoff said:
The previous owner had a shift kit installed and last winter I put in a 3000 stall in the car. As for HP Im looking for a 11 sec quater mile or maybe 600 HP car.

11 sec quarter only requires about 390hp. If you're building for 400hp you would use about nothing you would for 600hp. 600hp=$$$$. I just clicked over to the full site so I could see your sig. You already had enough to run solid 11.30's with traction and a good tune. Some have gone 10's with what you have. Ta49/stretched stock location intercooler.

I agree with Bison. You already have a combo that can make power you just need to turn the wick up. Get another TA49 or TE44 if you can or if you want a "newer/updated" version of those units get a Precision 5831. This is what I have and it's stupid powerful when pushed with alchy. I did a writeup on it in this forum.

ks

Question...are the 120# valve springs listed in your sig. on a stock cam? If so, is that too much?

11 sec quarter only requires about 390hp. If you're building for 400hp you would use about nothing you would for 600hp. 600hp=$$$$. I just clicked over to the full site so I could see your sig. You already had enough to run solid 11.30's with traction and a good tune. Some have gone 10's with what you have. Ta49/stretched stock location intercooler.

Really you think my set up can go that far? Well you say good tune, is there step by step instructions because im a mechanical kind of guy so im lost after setting the TPS sensor.

Question...are the 120# valve springs listed in your sig. on a stock cam? If so, is that too much?

yeah its a stock block except for the valve springs. When i was buying them at the Nationals, they said the springs will be ok. but Im new so you guys will know better then me.

buickgeoff said:
Found a TE-60 for 549 at gbody, or a PTE-5831 for 649. any thoughts on which one?
The above are great but need a Garrett housing to really rip in a near stock combo with marginal converter. Te44 or te60 in my sig whatever ex housing you want though the Garrett .63 is recommended. Custom billet compressors available also. I'll take stock cores or others if you have them towards one. If you have a ta49 I could send you a fresh cartridge with compressor cover if you want to stay stock appearing and you reuse your ex housing and save $. It's possible that you may be able to reuse your compressor cover also if it's not hit. They could have been machined a couple different ways though so reuse of the compressor cover may not be possible. Pm me if interested.