Looking for some advice on some upgrades and repairs?

1987Grandy

First off hello and thanks for looking. I have 1987 GN with 52xxx miles, my valve covers are leaking and want to know what's the best gaskets? Rubber or cork? Also I am looking to do some performance upgrades, chip, electronics, exhaust, intake, ect.? Also my EGR sylinoid failed and I by passed it to drive the car, what should I purchase to Block it off with, and do I have to do something with the computer? Main question is where is the best place to purchase the items you suggest?

Cork gaskets
A TT chip will take care of EGR will need a block off plate if you live in a state that dose not check emission

And 50 lb of triple 16 for your money tree
Love every dime I've spent performance upgrades =$

If your car is bone stock , start with the fuel system and chip . New pump , and hot wire kit , turbo tweak chip (call Eric ), scan master for diagnostics. The stock fuel pump and wiring is marginal at best . The stock chip is not burned for today's gas , it has to much timing . The Scan master will help with engine tuning and help keep you out of trouble if you get knock. Lastly read this forum , Most of the turbo buicks knowledge resides here !

Cork gaskets for me also. I tried some rubber felpro's and they didn't fit inside the valve cover to well.

OK thank you, do you guys know where a good place to order the turbo hoses, radiator hoses, and vacuum lines for that car? Do they have under the hood kits or do I just go to the auto parts store?

WELCOME PILGRIM!!!
Glad to have you on board. You will find this to be the "Treasure of knowledge" for the Turbo-Regals. As a community, we support each others addiction to "Boost" w/meth, corn alchy or c-16! We will offer suggestions for immediate needs, but you must spend a lot of time reading to acquire the knowledge to keep the "habit" going w/o self-destructing! (Boost, along w/it's co-hordes, knock and detonation, takes no prisoners. They kill w/o mercy!!! (And you don't want to become a member of the "DOTC" club![drive over the crank]
You will find a list of supporting venders at the bottom of the forums "table of contents". Many parts can be had in the "parts for sale" section, also you can post for parts needed in the "parts wanted" section. (Keep in mind, "stuff" is expensive!) {If my wife knew how much I have in my car, she'd sell it and buy a new house!!!}
May I suggest(mandatory) items first.
1/upgrade the fuel system as has been stated, (looking to your long term goals, i.e. 400hp, 600hp, etc.) Do the research, ask questions, and then decide. a/fuel pump/s for type of fuel you plan to run. E-85, 93+alchy, etc.
2/Hot-wire kit for fuel pump/s.
3/some form of scan tool you can use while operating. Such as a scan-master and power-logger, xfi, gen-7, etc. These will serve for early warning and longevity.
4/Read, read, read, and did I mention read.!?? Make decisions only as fast as your knowledge will allow. Check other board members signatures for your desired performance level, calculate the cost, as the quicker you want to go, there are unforeseen added expenses for the uneducated. Example:The transmission is the weak-link in the drive train. I blew thru 2(the original and a new one, still under warranty) exactly a year apart!? May I suggest saving for a performance one? I'm currently running Lonnie's stage III, good to 1k hp. (he is owner of extreme automatics)
Again welcome and hopefully I haven't scared you off!?

Also I am looking to do some performance upgrades, chip, electronics, exhaust, intake, ec
this is where you will want to be real clear about how much power and how fast you would like to go.a simple shift kit chip,boost turned up,fuel pump,drag radials,race gas or alky will transform the car powerwise in an afternoon,after that 12 sec combo (maybe sooner)your looking at doing a trans.so play with caution.

Basics first and foremost!
I know that the car only has 52k but it's nearly 30 years old!!
I would check all the seals and inspect all the basic maintenance items before attempting ANY mods.
Be extra sure to check your Power Master- if you still have it. It's fun to go fast but it's necessary to be able to stop.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have a valve cover leak as far as I can see, will replace gaskets next week and clean underneath to see further leaks. After full inspection and flush, I would like the car to wake up for regular cruising. I want to make sure each peice I add is the highest quality. I would also like to do the work myself. I'm also lost on where I should order from? I would like to change all of the hoses, and vacuum lines under the hood. I apperciate all of the help!

Last edited: