Looking for Mint Stage II

What I would like in a stage II:

a/c just to keep the stock look
dont care about cruise control
would prefer no cage but seems unlikely since most were built to run at the track

I would probably never track the car. I grew up in an era around the Phila area where there were some really fast GN's for the time and they were street driven. I would not race on the street, but love to have too much if you understand.

With this being what you want I personally would not waste my money going stage 2.
I could build a 109 motored car to run bottom 10s-high 9s reliably.
this would save time and money.
You will be spending quite a bit to do this and making a quote would be real difficult.
Let me know if I can help

I disagree with your assessment of true value.
Typically, when you sell a modified car , your never get any money for the car than if it was stock, sometimes people would pay less because of the modifications. So, I personally think nobody would get that type of return on a stage II.

GNBrett, I am looking for a street car.
Otto, that is another option. I really would like the car to be streetable. Having never lived with a stage II, I am not sure if that is possible. Streetable to me is driving the car 10-15 miles at a time without any problems. Are there any 109 cars for sale that are near mint or mint?

I disagree with your assessment of true value.
Typically, when you sell a modified car , your never get any money for the car than if it was stock, sometimes people would pay less because of the modifications. So, I personally think nobody would get that type of return on a stage II.

GNBrett, I am looking for a street car.
Otto, that is another option. I really would like the car to be streetable. Having never lived with a stage II, I am not sure if that is possible. Streetable to me is driving the car 10-15 miles at a time without any problems. Are there any 109 cars for sale that are near mint or mint?
As far as assessment of value that is a difficult one to tackle. I think MOST of the time when someone modifies a car I would agree with you that it probably isn't worth more then a bone stock low mile car would be.

BUT, that really depends on how heavily it was modified and by whom. And was it modified to be a race car or a badass street car. Too many variables to really say one way or the other.

I have had two stage cars and could have easily went the stage II route this go around again but my goals were to build a street car not a race car per say. Although I may have quite a few race car parts it still has fully working AC/heat, a 2004r, no cage and no fiberglass bumpers. It will be street driven! Into the woods likely when the boost comes on.....:rolleyes: but street driven nonetheless.:)

I use to be on that SII kick and thought I had to have it to but anything low 10's or faster will likely melt most DR's on the street so going much faster is useless and a waste of money imo for a STREET car. A well built/TUNED 109 can handle that kinda power all day long. A SII can handle more power but power that really can't be used on the street.

Otto just tuned Bisons girdled 109 and it put down just shy of 700 rwhp and 800 lbs of torque. Do you really think you will need more then that on the street? If so then spend the money on a SII car. If not, that don't waste ur money on something ur never gonna utilize. Just my $.02

You can probably find a mint low milage GN but with a Stage II will be hard to find. Most people with a low milage mint GN will keep it mint with the stock motor and maybe add a few boltons. There are a few very nice Gn's with stage II or Stage 1 motors out there but, You may probably have to settle for a little more miles on the body. If you build one rite it will cost more than your budget you listed. I build my stage II on a tight budget. I found parts everywhere like Canada for the block, Ohio for the rods and at the best price i could. I still spent over 18K just on the motor, turbo, and fuel system. You can find a nice 109 car with a build motor and supporting mods for under 20K. I bought a 77K mile car two weeks ago with built 109 motor with H beam rods, J&E pistons, Champion heads, built trans and all of the supporting mods to run low 10's for 18K and it looks mint inside and out. Those are easier to find and drive. No matter what anyone tells you once you make enough power to run 11.50's or faster in a heavy car the car becomes less streetable and you break parts easier. Good luck, Tim

SRT8, I apologize if you feel I was trying to give the value of a car, I was trying to be more realistic on the cost of building one. I would think $40,000 would buy a mint stage II car if you could find one. I agree with Tim that it would be very difficult to impossible to find a mint stage car. Very nice would not be hard to find though, and you could probably get one between $20,000 to $30,000 if you are patient. The lower end of the price would have older, dated mods and the higher range would be more updated. Good luck.
P.S. Everyone is right about the power, a well built stage car is next to useless on the street. They are not as friendly to drive and you can't use half the power.

With those goals, just buy a 109 car and save the hassle. You seem like the show car type of guy, not the modded racer/street racer kind of guy. There's no real reason to have a Stage car for just cruising to the local car shows unless you just simply want to be able to say "Yeah, it's a Stage 2 car!" to your buddies!

I have 86 White T with 49K miles, solid roof car, the car still has the stock motor & trans rights now with minor bolt-ons. I have a mint Stage 2 on center block, forged rods & crank, Champion head & intake CNC ported. 400 Turbo Trans (stock). Some suspension parts and a bunch of other stuff. Over $30,000 worth of stuff. I just don't have the money or time right now to put it together. I would sell it for the right amount as a package deal but I'm not going to bust it up and If I can't sell it I'll just keep it and eventually one day put it together.

GNBrett

I agree with most of your post. I truly want a street car with no cage etc.
I guess I am the type that always believes that more is better.

As far as driveability, how does a 109 car compare to a S2? Would an S2 be hard to tune to live on the street?

Can someone post a clip of an S2 car at idle?

GNBrett

As far as driveability, how does a 109 car compare to a S2? Would an S2 be hard to tune to live on the street?

More is better. Just not necessary for ur goals imo. Tuning and driveability are the same. Check out how fast TSM cars go. They are all 109's and many go low 9's and one even went high 8's and im sure many more this fall will go high 8's as well.

Don't waste ur money on something u dont need for the street. If that's what you WANT then find a stage car by all means but be prepared to pay.

I don't think ur gonna beable to reasonably drive a car on the street that makes more then low 10 second power or maybe high 9's without risking going into the woods every time you step into it.

It's ur money and if you think that's what will make you happy then get a stage car.

GNBrett

A stage II block isn't going to change anything as far as driveability. It will make your wallet a little lighter.:biggrin: If you can find a off center block then you can install almost everything from a stock motor onto it. But why would you do that? You may also have to machine block for a wet sump oil pickup. That's more $$$$$. The only difference between a built stage 2 motor and a built 109 motor is the block and the cost. You also can't use stage II heads with a stock airconditioning box in place. They are too tall. So, you will have to use the same heads that will fit on a 109 block to keep your A/C.

I drove mine with my 2 sons this Sunday for a 80 mile round trip cruise and it didn't break:eek: How about that!

I drove mine with my 2 sons this Sunday for a 80 mile round trip cruise and it didn't break:eek: How about that!

Tom, I looking forward to seeing your car at the TR meet this weekend. I heard that it is super nice. ;)

Hey SRT8,
There's a all Stock mint GN right on your doorstep in SE Pa. It has 11k on it. Every option,twilight sentinal, even a block warmer. But the asking $ ain't cheap. Nice car thou.

car for sale

Springfield, Pa by the Mall.

Let me know if u are interested.

Still looking for your dream car?