Looking for an ATV, any recommendations?

GNJimC

I did a search to see if there was an ATV thread but I did not find any. Anyways, I am shopping for an ATV to plow snow and was wondering if any TB guys/gals were also into ATV's. The last quad I had was an 87 LT250 Quadracer that I sold in 95 so It has been a while since I was around these things.

Anyways, what I need is somthing to move snow from my concrete driveway. I have a little JD 165 tractor with a blower but it is S-L-O-W..... I wont be getting rid of that since the grass still needs to be cut in the summer.

I am having a hard time finding a used 4x4 but I did find a nice, clean 2x4 honda 250 utility that would work with a plow. Does anyone have experience with a 2x4 ATV and a plow? If so would I be peeing in the wind or would it work for a flat concrete driveway?

Also, manual lift plow or go with electric winch?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

On another note, not sure if the dealer was BSing me but he said his most popular unit has been the polaris 500 utility and has sold over 40 of those alone this winter. I guess people are still spending $$!

As far as a atv 2x4 w/plow Ud be peeing in the wind.I had a honda 4x4 300 w/manual plow.It worked ok until the snow got heavy.Then I had a yamaha 4x4 350 w/winch & plow.Same thing.I guess it all depends on how much snow & how heavy it gets.If you put chains on then youre gonna break something.Good winch$300,plow$250,atv$3000 on up.A salesman will tell you anything to make a sale.Now if you blow the snow first then use the atv to clean up and of course play then it might work for you.

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Good honest answer.

I am thinking of a 450 or 500 4x4 with a plow. A new grizzly 350 would fit the bill since it has a short turning radius but I have always had a hard time parting with my $$ on somthing brand new.

My hope is that after I make a purchase I DONT have to use it :biggrin:

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Good honest answer.

I am thinking of a 450 or 500 4x4 with a plow. A new grizzly 350 would fit the bill since it has a short turning radius but I have always had a hard time parting with my $$ on somthing brand new.

My hope is that after I make a purchase I DONT have to use it :biggrin:

Definitely stick with the Honda, I've been looking for one myself, not to plow snow but for hunting and playing around in the mud. From what I've found nothing out does the Honda as far as ATV's are concerned. I would not even bother with the 250 much less a 4x2. There are plenty of used ones for sale around here.

Yes, Honda's are good machines but hard to find used. The 2x4 was the only Honda I could find. I am surprised that I cant find more locally since it was just reported that my county has the highest unemployment in the State. Meanwhile, dealers are selling new ATV's like hot cakes.

Go figure.

ive got a honda foreman 400 full time 4x4, got it for 2500 4 years ago with a warn winch and a snow plow.
could not have got a better 4 wheeler, its a tank, ive got 27" blackwater tires on it, it will go through anything.
it sucks on the trails, i think second gear tops out at about 5 mph, 1st is so slow you can casually walk faster than it.
but that being said, its pulled multiple cars uphill into my garage, and has never broken down on me besides when i snapped a driveshaft pulling a dump truck. the truck had a tie rod that finally snapped while i was pulling it in, and that was enough to break some parts

Polaris all the way 100% American built and 500cc and up class is the absolute #1 in reliability since 2000. 4x4 system is better, tranny is better, motors are bullet proof and accessories from the factory are above all others.

I have owned Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and now Can Am which I am absolutely thrilled with. IMO if your going to push any snow at all, and want something with decent power for work and play, I would not go with anything less than 500cc and for sure 4x4. Lastly, I know you mentioned buying used but be very careful with that, especially with the 4x4 quads. You know as well as I do that the 4x4 quads can and do go places that no 2x4 could or should go for that matter. My own personal experience is you end up buying another's problem(s). If you do buyed used do a very detailed inspection of the machine or you will regret it later. I used to buy used and got tired of ending up with other people's abortions...nothing but new for me! I'm kinda anal about maintenance and want to know exactly how my machines have been treated from day #1...that's my mindset. Good luck!

The wife has a Yamaha Grizzly 600, bought it used with just under 1000 miles on it for a steal. Never really have a need for a plow hear, but It's automatic, has a high & low range plus reverse and push button 4wd. I have taken it out in the snow and it does really good and have never been able to get it stuck. If you're wanting something to plow with, I'd stick with a large CC utility ATV.

For 4x4's I had a 350 Yamaha Wolverine, and a Kawasaki prairie 400. I had a 4 foot plow on the pairie, but it only worked good in light snow. Once you angled the blade its a constant struggle. If your gonna use it to plow I would highly suggest you get a really big machine, with power steering.

arctic cat

i have an arctic cat 400 4x4. bought it when we were clearing a drive and land for our house. picked it over the competition due to the ground clearance and pulling capacity. it has the typical winch (forget the brand). i also picked up a 5 ft plow that will swing from side to side. it works great (drive is 500-600 ft long). only concern i would have with a cement drive is scraping it with the plow and tearing up your drive. HTH.

Buy honda snowblower, they will last forever, unless you like to make it fun, or you have really long driveway, this year is a fluke for the amount of snow,

My dad and I each, bought a honda snowblower over 15 years ago, and still going strong, honda is the best, but may cost money since the demand is higher...

Ski-Doo dealership said it best, PEOPLE ALWAYS HAVE MONEY FOR TOYS, it makes it easier if you can leave right from the house...

ACTUALLY FOOD, ALCOHOL & TOYS....
RIDE A TOY TO THE GRILL AND BAR, EAT FOOD, DRINK AND FORGET ABOUT THE ECONOMY, GO HOME TO SLEEP AND BACK TO IT THE NEXT DAY...

Buy honda snowblower, they will last forever, unless you like to make it fun, or you have really long driveway, this year is a fluke for the amount of snow,

My dad and I each, bought a honda snowblower over 15 years ago, and still going strong, honda is the best, but may cost money since the demand is higher...

I have a JD lawn tractor with a blower now and yes I have a really long driveway. Also if I buy somthing and it never snows again it was worth it.:biggrin:

Honda has a nice 420CC Utility 4x4 that you can get out the door under 5K new?

Thanks, I checked on one at the local dealer. $6600 plus tax for a new one. It was the 420 auto. The Griz 350 was $5150 and both were 09's. I have seen 08's slightly cheaper.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I will find somthing for sure. Thanks!