looking at pt54

GrandNational87

My car is being built pretty slowly since i owe alot on it still. but when the time comes im going to get a pt54 for the car. and i was wondering what is the best times ran from one of these and max hp. also what is the A/R most people running this turbo using.

I would make your turbo the last thing you buy since there is alot of new technology stuff coming out. Finish everything else first then make your decision.

clayton,

im trying to keep the boy inline (and his drool off all my parts)

but you know how it goes ........bigger,bigger,BIGGEST

hee hee

shawn

Originally posted by idaho gn
clayton,

im trying to keep the boy inline (and his drool off all my parts)

but you know how it goes ........bigger,bigger,BIGGEST

hee hee

shawn

Yup, been there done that! :D

high altitude and turbos

FYI... I've spent a year learning how to get my PT54 to spool at high altitude (5200'). After following advice on increasing flow (high flow heads, intake, ported intake), and chasing every possible error, the end resolve is that the stall speed must be increased for altitude. My first increase was to 3200rpm and was still stuck at 2psi and no climb at 2000rpm when in brakestand. Now changed to 3800rpm stall and it gradually, I mean it takes 30 seconds to climb until the brakes/tires won't hold it (~5psi). You're at half my altitude, so won't be as much a problem. Looking back, I'd have spent the best money on a ball bearing turbo (spools easier, quicker). btw, reducing the A/R is another way to help (but hurts top end performance). Mine is at 0.63 and they don't make them smaller.

Suckin' thin air at 5200'

Brad, whos's chip do you use?? Something definitely is not right there. Mine spool like crazy with a 3000 stall and 2200 ft. altitude.

chip & spool

Scott,

Went down that road too. I've got 009 injectors, had Joe Lubrant cut me a leaner chip, no change. I went down to 4000' saw a good pickup in spool, then 3000' , another big difference (had to drive all the way to Nebraska!). So after a year of trying all else, the converter stall fix, implies this is mass of airflow problem (also tried using a leafblower on the intake-worked well, except the 110V cord is a problem). I could use to go up further in stall speed, but I'm a bit tired of pulling the tranny right now. Altitude is a major deal to work though.

-Brad