Long distance transaction /how did you pay?

NOKA72

Hello guys. I know many of you have purchased cars on eBay or privately. Curious to how you closed the deal. Vinny

If the purchase is through ebay use paypal as it will give you some protection. Otherwise, if it is a private sale i would take a cheap flight and inspect the car then handle the financial transaction in person. We all have different levels of comfort when it comes to money. You need to decide your comfort level.

I just paid someone through Walmart . U can send it to any other wallyworld for them to pick up

I've done a wire transfer straight into their bank account before and others have done that with me. That being said, it was all done face to face. I've never sold or bought a car site unseen. I could never bring myself to do it. That being said, I think you had Nick check out the car and vouch for it. Take this for what it's worth, but I've known Sean for 13 years and he is a good friend. He was my manager at one time and helped me get my career started. Although he is not known on this board, I can personally vouch that he is a stand up guy and is not going to screw you. I'm honestly really bummed that he is selling his GN. I have fallen in love with that car and really wish it was me buying it. I was considering selling mine to buy his, but my wife told me I was crazy and talked me out of even thinking about it. That thing is amazing. The minor mods are absolutely perfect for it. It is a time capsule too.

I purchased a car on the other side of the country. Paid 1/2 upfront and 1/2 upon delivery via cashiers check.
There's still a few people out there that you can do a "handshake" deal with.

Hey guys. I was just trying to get ideas on how to do this. Mike I have to say I been going back and forth with Sean now for a little while and I have to say he has been very fair to me and I agree he seems like a great guy. Vinny

My most recent long distance purchase was done via wire transfer. Worked out well. To that I would add...trust that little voice in your head. If you spend enough time talking to the person you are potentially buying from you get a feel for what kind of person you're dealing with. If it doesn't feel right, for any reason, let it go. I've passed on nice cars for that reason alone. I live on an island thousands of miles away from the continental US. Taking a trip to see every vehicle I'm interested in buying is very expensive. Some would argue ending up with a turd because I was too cheap to see the car in person is even more expensive. Bottom line is its a risk anyway you look at it. Many have looked at a car in person only to bring it home and find out later the car was not what it was purported to be...Trust the voice. It's usually right.

I'd always said I wouldn't ever buy a car sight unseen or send money on a prayer that it'd go smooth, but I did both when I sent multiple postal money orders for a roller. Told him to mail me the title and told him I'd arrange the shipping. Went perfect.

its not that I am worried about getting the car or it not being as advertised I just want to know what others have done. you know I talked to some and they sent personal checks then set up the shipping...its just a little scary no??? vinny

Others are correct , after talking to the seller for some conversation , you kinda get the feeling if its good or not . I have done 2 cars that way , one needed to be restored , so wasn't overly concerned if it came in worse than described , the other , my 89 TTA 15k orig miles came from Alabama , I'm in Ct , so did a lot of conversation with the guy , asked for more pics , which he was instantly getting them to me . so that was a good sign . Paid with a bank check . Car came in actually better than he described .
But now when it came to my X , I was not trusting any pics/sending money , it was to be a face to face inspection/purchase . With that said , I drove 577 miles to Ohio to go see one that was said to be wow/spotless/awesome/etc " the best thing around " , and it WAS'NT !!! Had the money with me and all . Went home empty handed .

wow... yeah I am sure that has happened many times to people....everyone's opinion of BEST AROUND i am sure differs...

Vinny, I think you're going to be really happy with this car. I've been through it pretty well and know a lot about it. I'm seriously in love with that GN. It drives like a new one and that is an experience that I will never forget. It is smooth, the doors close perfect, the windows roll up fine, it is dead quiet inside because there are no air leaks. It also runs fantastic and has just the right amount of mods. Tell you what. PM me when you get it and let me know your honest opinion. The only reason Sean really sold it is because he is scared to have one so nice. He refuses to drive the damn thing and even sold his Mustang to give the GN more room in the garage LOL.

You should just have this guy bring you your car:

Ha. Mike that was great.... Too funny. Yes from what I'm gathering the car is very nice. Nick spoke very good about the car also. So I felt I should pull the trigger. I will definitely let you know when I get it. Actually can't wait. Vinny

hello mike...what's up guys..I have to say. Man you weren't kidding...the car is that nice...I am very happy with it...granted there's a few things im going to take care of. But over all...it looks,feels,smells,runs,sounds just like back in the day...just the way they were when I was a kid...the car is tight and rides really nice..I am very happy with it....rolling the dice this time definitely paid off....vinny

that doesn't work cause bank checks from out of state take a few days to clear. buying site unseen is quite the gamble. been burned myself twice now from two scumbags. one of them is a member on this site.

bank checks are worth NOTHING! just like a personal check its worth nothing until its cashed and verified. a lot of ppl seem to be under the misconception that a bank check is as good as cash. that cud not be further then the truth....

not all banks or credit unions will wire transfer money if they are financing it. they want a bank check issued and they want someone cashing it and signing it under video surveillance.

if its your cash vs the banks then a wire transfer is the easiest way to pay someone if ur not comfortable carry lots of cash.

I purchased a car on the other side of the country. Paid 1/2 upfront and 1/2 upon delivery via cashiers check.
There's still a few people out there that you can do a "handshake" deal with.

hello mike...what's up guys..I have to say. Man you weren't kidding...the car is that nice...I am very happy with it...granted there's a few things im going to take care of. But over all...it looks,feels,smells,runs,sounds just like back in the day...just the way they were when I was a kid...the car is tight and rides really nice..I am very happy with it....rolling the dice this time definitely paid off....vinny

I'm glad you are happy. I had the privilege of riding in, working on, and driving this car. It is truly a time machine. I REALLY wanted to sell my car and but this one, but my wife thought I was insane. I put a ton of work into mine, but certain things just could not be replcated. Tings like how quiet it is, how nice the weatherstripping seals, how smooth it drives, how nice the doors close. That is just not something you can replicate. I spend big $$$ on NOS weatherstripping to find out it is not the same that was installed from the factory. That being said, proper resto-mod Pro Touring GN's are bringing good money. Having Heath Elmer attached to mine helps a bit. But still, there was something about that car. I'm still appalled that Sean sold it. He was truly scared of it. Scared to park next to it. Scared to drive it. Not sure how it runs in NY, but it ran amazing out here. The mods I did to it seemed perfect. It did have a couple minor gremlins. Rear mail seal was leaking (surprise surprise), and the right channel in the stereo was funky. Oh, and the antenna didn't work (again, no big surprise). I was going to swap the amp in my original head unit with his but never got around to it. If you get that fixed, make sure to check out the speakers in the doors and dash. If they are all aftermarket and 4 ohm, then they are running a 2 ohm load to the headunit and will cause issues. You will want to put 8 ohm door and dash speakers in it. The rears are Kenwood 4X10's I believe, but should be fine. Obviously I have good knowledge of this car and can answer any questions you have of it (just PM me). And it is blatantly obvious this is my favorite GN ever!!!!

I don't know what the difference is between a "bank" check and a cashiers check is but I'm 99% sure the cashiers check is guaranteed. Once the cashiers check is issued they will not allow the account balance to go below the value of the check.
I sold a car on eBay to a guy out of state. When he arrived I called the bank that was printed on the check. No answer as it was early Saturday. I made him wait until I talked with the bank to verify the check was good.
I bought another GN in New Jersey last year. Brought cash.
It's the easiest on everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 GN's I sold the 2 of the guys showed up with a wad of cash the other gave an out of state bank check I gave him a bill of sale but kept the title until the check cleared.
Cars I buy are usually a combo of paypal and cash.