Local Engine Builders/Machine Shops?

turbotony1

My 109 block will be sent out in the next few weeks to get freshened up. It's 100,000 mi motor thats never been apart before. Everything looked surprisingly well during tear-down, but I'm sure it's going to need the works!!

I would love to hear some 1st hand feedback about any shops in the Chicagoland area that you guys would recommend. I have a friend helping me with the work. The car is at his shop right now, and he's been telling me to take it to Built-Rite. They've done tons of Chevy and a few T-R motors for him in the past with great results. He's also able to get me a good price due to the volume of work he sends them. :) We will most likely do the re-assembley ourselves. (I'm still on the fence about that)

I know a lot of people recommend Brian (Speed Service). He does great work!! He's just WAY Too backed up right now. My dad's Stage 1 455 has been sitting there since August! He said he won't be taking on any new work until the fall. :frown:

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
Anthony

My 109 block will be sent out in the next few weeks to get freshened up. It's 100,000 mi motor thats never been apart before. Everything looked surprisingly well during tear-down, but I'm sure it's going to need the works!!

I would love to hear some 1st hand feedback about any shops in the Chicagoland area that you guys would recommend. I have a friend helping me with the work. The car is at his shop right now, and he's been telling me to take it to Built-Rite. They've done tons of Chevy and a few T-R motors for him in the past with great results. He's also able to get me a good price due to the volume of work he sends them. :) We will most likely do the re-assembley ourselves. (I'm still on the fence about that)

I know a lot of people recommend Brian (Speed Service). He does great work!! He's just WAY Too backed up right now. My dad's Stage 1 455 has been sitting there since August! He said he won't be taking on any new work until the fall. :frown:

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
Anthony

I was at Speed Service yesterday and it was Big Block Buick day. That may be good for your Dad but not so good for the rest:D I no longer call, I just go visit in person.

TurboBuRick.... I live West of Chicago in Elmhurst.

Another big block friend of mine has used AES. I know he has had good luck there, but I don't know much about their V6 work.

jasjamz... that is good news for my dad! If only the rest of us were that lucky!:D

The Built-Rite I'm asking about is the one in Lombard.

I guess I'll try calling Precision Engine and Machine & A.E.S. to see how busy they are and to see "roughly" what their price would be.

I'm still open to more opinions and it would be great to hear more peoples positive/negative experiences with local shops.

(Sorry to keep pushing the subject, but I want it done right & done once!!)

THANKS!!!

My first choice is Brian at speed service. However, if you really need to take it elsewhere to get machinework done sooner, I also have used and have been happy with:

Opel Engineering in Streamwood, IL. (630) 837-2900
R & R Engineering in Addison, IL. (630) 628-1545