Little issue after 84-85 HB conversion on the 87

Brandon#

It's been a couple of weeks since I completed the hydroboost conversion and so far it has been working great. The conversion was easy and straight forward. I can easily hold 8psi where I was struggling to hold 3 psi before .

The only issue I have is an annoying power steering pump whine during low rpm turns. I did the suggested bleeding procedure, I replaced the pump, and I've checked for leaks and found none.

I was going to try some Lucas PS fluid, or trans fluid, but I doubt a magic fluid will help it.

One thing I noticed is the HB to SG box line seemed to be 2 or 3" too long and so it has a little hump in it. It's not kinked, but I wish it was a little shorter.

My reservoir is the OEM side by side outlet.

I've searched and have seen folks with the same issues, but haven't found where someone fixed it.

So, with the front wheels in the air, you turned the steering lock to lock several times while a helper watched the reservoir for bubbles, any bubbles? What did you use for fluid? When I did mine I drained the system and went with power steering fluid. Apparently it is different than trans fluid and other things. It was nothing special, just O'Reilly brand fluid. But we did bleed it thoroughly before moving on to bleeding the brakes.
I also bled them unit I got clear fluid effectively flushing the brake system also.

You mention a line that might not be a straight shot. Maybe try to do something to straighten it. Could be causing fluid not to flow freely and the pump to work harder than it should.

Did you use the cedar crest reccomended 84 lines? Mine fit pretty well, they came from rockauto.
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

I spun the pump by hand first, and then I also jacked the front end up and went lock to lock probably 50 times. I don't see any foaming or bubbles in the reservoir.

I used prestone power steering fluid (vatozone special).

Stock 87 pump? Mine has 146k miles on it. It will whine a bit on the cold mornings but when warmed up it seems pretty quiet.

When modding the pump to hb hard line you didn't kink it?

Stock 87 pump? Mine has 146k miles on it. It will whine a bit on the cold mornings but when warmed up it seems pretty quiet.

When modding the pump to hb hard line you didn't kink it?

The pump didn't require any modding. My factory pump had no whine, until it was converted to HB. I replaced the pump with a rebuilt one, and it whines too ( when rpms are about 2k or less and turning)

Yes but the hard part of the line I bought required some "massaging" to have it fit in the space alloted on the 86-87.

My pump is also stock. Came from the factory with it.

Excessive psi can do this... AIRC, this was just discussed recently.
Borgeson makes a kit to reduce the psi.

Yes but the hard part of the line I bought required some "massaging" to have it fit in the space alloted on the 86-87.

My pump is also stock. Came from the factory with it.

That's strange, mine needed no massaging . Everything hooked right up

Excessive psi can do this... AIRC, this was just discussed recently.
Borgeson makes a kit to reduce the psi.

I was thinking I may need more psi or volume since I added some additional load to it. Never thought about it being too much psi.

As shown on the cedarcrestsppeed.com and my thread, I had to do a little bit to it so it didn't rub.