Lets Talk Convertors and Flex Plates

ILikeSix

Boost is Good
So I've been hearing that the stock flexplate is a weak link, how weak and to what power level can it go reliably? When they break do they just crack the bolts loose or does it take out the whole bellhouse and trans?

Lets say I had a really well built motor around 500WHP, and a beefy trans, and I wanted to rip off some 10 second passes here and there maybe 8-10 track days per year yet still be streetable. Which convertor and plate would I be looking for?

Also, I have a small trans cooler, maybe 3" wide by 10" long, is that enough? There's no external filter either, I know I should install one, is there a spin on style cartridge filter available?

Any opinions or ideas appreciated for this build:smile:

Alan

Its not a weak link but most drag strips require SFI approved parts at certain levels depending on sanctioning. An engine that can put down 500whp is nothing much to a stock flex plate. Run the largest cooler you can with no filter.

Good info

I was wondering about that myself after my rotating internals were balanced with the stock flex plate.

I was wondering about that myself after my rotating internals were balanced with the stock flex plate.

The engine in the car ive been testing turbos on has a stock flex plate. Its been over 500whp and has made about 75 pulls over 460whp. It has seen at least 50 full passes on street and thousands of WOT blasts for a few seconds. To be honest i dont see any problems relating to even a stock engine at that power level as long as the tune is good. No detonation means none. Not a little. Not ever.

I'm sure Bison is talking about not using an External inline filter. These can reduce Fluid flow. An External inline filter can be used when breaking in a new Trans to catch clutch material etc..
The Brass or Nylon mesh type Pan filters have the highest flow. The Felt type Pan filters flow less but, catch smaller size particles.

I've always been a 5SPD guy, this is my first auto car (excluding DD's or grocery getters:biggrin:)) so I'm on uncharted territory with putting real power thru an auto. It does seem like all the fast auto guys in the Chrysler turbo scene run an external 'fuel style' filter, the kind with the anodized Aluminum case and serviceable mesh screen. Are we limited on line pressure/volume on the TR's trans? Those guys over there mod the trans case to be able to adjust the line pressure fromt he outside of the trans for tuning shifts. That seems like a great idea to me, we have an equvalent mod? You know, bangs into the next gear for race days and something just a bit softer when the Wifey and kids are in the car:cool:

Alan

Pics to of the 'new' motor and trans to follow, it's making its way home from a 850+ mile trip yesterday. It's still attached to a neglected T Type;)...

I've always been a 5SPD guy, this is my first auto car (excluding DD's or grocery getters:biggrin:)) so I'm on uncharted territory with putting real power thru an auto. It does seem like all the fast auto guys in the Chrysler turbo scene run an external 'fuel style' filter, the kind with the anodized Aluminum case and serviceable mesh screen. Are we limited on line pressure/volume on the TR's trans? Those guys over there mod the trans case to be able to adjust the line pressure fromt he outside of the trans for tuning shifts. That seems like a great idea to me, we have an equvalent mod? You know, bangs into the next gear for race days and something just a bit softer when the Wifey and kids are in the car:cool:

Alan

Pics to of the 'new' motor and trans to follow, it's making its way home from a 850+ mile trip yesterday. It's still attached to a neglected T Type;)...
You can run a filter as long as you service it. If the line is restricted it could be a big problem.