let the cam arguing begin*roller*non roller*

I wish some of the flat tappet cam guys would chime in.:biggrin: I know all of us in this thread are using roller cams. I see why every cam thread ends with do a roller cam and forget it!;)

...Well I didn't use "rollers" till 2007. We liked stock stuff an were only goin mid 11s in street trim. Stock cams were working great till the late 90s early 2000s. Had a few customers cams fail way before though with lower mile cars. I thought it was from not using the car much. 2000/2005 ate a few more cams than usual. That was enuff for me. I just didn't need the aggravation.
..Nowadays I don't work on others guys stuff anymore IF I can help it. BUT I won't put in a flat tappet because I know when it goes bad everyone wants it fixed for nothing!! Its bad enuff to do it all over never mind for nothing.. Just isn't worth the hassle to me. To each their own :p Ya ..opinions opinions !!
... So throw what ya want in!! BUT Please don't come in here crying if it wipes. :eek:

I have been using flat tappets for years with no apparent failure.

I have used the 206/206 reliably

The old reed 210/205 I run currently.

I break them in using GM lifters, EOS or equivilant, some old used springs chnage oil every 1000 for the first 5000 and I use dino oil. I have so far never had an issue. Car runs 10.90's all day long.

My 11.50 car spli the block with a stock cam 130,000 no problems.

I dont seem to have any issues with the flat tappets. I have run rollers too in other cars and had no issues either. Not sure what was happening or what is happening but this has been my experience.

flat tappet

I wish some of the flat tappet cam guys would chime in.:biggrin: I know all of us in this thread are using roller cams. I see why every cam thread ends with do a roller cam and forget it!;)

I can afford a roller but I chose to go flat. By talking to Red Armstrong an Nick Mcale Red told me if it was him he would go flat,an Nick Mcale gave me some strong advice so I installed 206/ 206 flat tappet and my car runs like a beast.So how can you argue with two of the best in the Buick World.

Flat tappet...11.90 on 5 cylinders due to bad oil ring and foulded plug. New ring in motor and running great...haven't been to the track yet. When I upgraded last, I was told if I upgraded to roller there would be an increase in performance; but for a "light to light" racer I wouldn't see that big of a difference to rationalize the money spent on the roller. I have not come close to dialing in my FAST yet. Plent of performance in my tappet...ask the guys around here :)

I had the Comp 206, great cam. OP, your question doesn't even make sense to me, I told you what you THINK is the reason the Flat Tappets are dying isn't the case, you said Break In and Oil Changes, I guess that's how all these cams were dying. :confused:

Yes Flat Tappets work in GN's, I had a 206 for years, not the reason I switched or the reasons to consider switching for the long run.

No flats here

OK, here goes. I've done everything wrong. 23 yrs on Mobil1. Daily driver w/oil change every 4-6months. Sometimes I only had time to swap filters and add a qt. to hold me over for another week. Divorced early on, this car took me wherever, whenever. One story goes...core shift or lifter hole alignment keeps lifter from spinning. Another says today's oil lacks zinc/phosphorus. I now add 2 cans of EOS (I have plenty) @every change. Truth is..."it's all true to one degree or another". Doesn't change the fact that my unopened engine only has 195K miles on it and runs like a top. Someday I'll have a motor built, but I doubt I will ever see a more dependable engine in this car. All the pros on this site are keeping me well informed and someday I'll need to make this decision too. I plan on running 10.80s with a new build,so will probably go w/rollers, but not because I fear a flat tappat cam...

This thread needs to have more than opinions. If anyone has any proven info post it up. I ran a 212 flat and went 122mph in the quarter back in 2000 with good heads around 25psi with a pt54. I went 122mph last fall with a similar turbo and crap heads but boost was around 28. How much power is there with the roller? 10-15hp at best. The 212 flat did not survive once I got water in the oil. It was fine till then. The 212 roller had been in 3 engines so far and has over 60k miles on it. Flat cams work but I can't justify running one with the fairly cheap roller setups out there. Full throttle sells cam kit at a great value.

At that power level needed I'd just pony up for a Buick built stock motor from an honest seller.

My car only has 200K on it so I'm still testing that stock cam. :p

425 RWHP for the last 13 years or so pump gas and alky.

I started with that new-fangled synthetic oil when I put on a DBB turbo back at 155K. :biggrin:

Jury's not out on the Mobil 1 15-50 either but it seems okay and I don't use additives with it. :p

I'd be more worried about who's building it than using at flat tappet at that power level. :eek:

Since you say you have the money, and building an engine isn't all that cheap, I'd do the caps. and ported irons and small roller with a reputable builder, and then just limit the boost for her daily driving pleasure. :)

Or as previously mentioned find a nice Buick built stocker that should live for a long happy time at that power level. :cool:

I put an Erson 208/208 flat in my car this past Spring. Goes 115mph in the 1/4 on street boost 20-21psi, pump and alky, stock heads, shiftting at 5k rpms on 75lb valvesprings and new T/A "stock" lifters. After 65k miles though, my stock cam and lifters looked great yet, lifters still flat at the bottom. I use ZDDP and Amsoil 10W-30 every 2-3k miles with 6k miles on the car and 20 passes since install and lots of WOT street runs with no issues, normal 20min breakin, drain oil, refill, race.

The thing I like about hydraulic roller cams/lifters is...they don't wear our easily. Bought mine used from Papa Lou...works like a charm...
11.14 at 122mph with an easy 10.90 available in the tune and 60'

It went in a few months before the ported heads and intake and it really woke the GN up...especially noticed a lot more pull on the top.

There has to be something to the reason GM went to roller lifter.cam in just about all of there motors from 87-88 up.

I know that flatt tappet cam have gone fast and many miles. Most of the car that are still running have long been in the break in process with the older oils and weaker springs.

But the newer oils without zinc and the newer lifter without the harden foot on the bottom poses a problem.

For those that want to use a flat tappet cam source out the stock gm lifter with the harden foot for some added assurance.

JMO