Leave hood on for engine removal??

87NAT

In Between GN's
I am working by myself removing my engine. If I unbolt my hood shocks can I bring the hood back and lay it against my windsheild? It looks like it will go back past 90 degress and I could lay a blanket down but I just want to make sure before I do it.

Just prop the hood up almost 90 degrees with a board or something. It wont go all the way back without damaging your cowl trim and or hood from what i remember.

I've got a piece of lightweight angle iron and bolt the hood in the 90 degree position. Don't lay it on the windshield, it will crack.

You will want to place a blanket over the front of the car when using your cherry picker as you will have to push it up against the front bumper. Don't want to ruin that bumper molding.

when i did mine i just tied the hood to the garage door. also as far as the cherry picker it will hit the bumper molding so put a rag down like posted above.

yeah, dont prop the hood up without tieing it off with something so it dont blow back into the window!!:eek: and your better off taking off the front bumper unless you have a engine hoist with a long arm.

yeah, dont prop the hood up without tieing it off with something so it dont blow back into the window!!:eek: and your better off taking off the front bumper unless you have a engine hoist with a long arm.

I just went in from the side. No big deal.

I am working by myself removing my engine. If I unbolt my hood shocks can I bring the hood back and lay it against my windsheild? It looks like it will go back past 90 degress and I could lay a blanket down but I just want to make sure before I do it.

I have done exactly this more times than I care to remember.
What is going on BTW?

o and if you do tie it to the garage door make sure you pull the power cord on the garage ;)

I have done exactly this more times than I care to remember.
What is going on BTW?

Been having an upper rpm miss/loss of power for a long time now. Checked /changed everything under the sun.:frown: Thought it was valve springs as the ultimate culprit.. Heads are Eastern Performance installed back in 1994. Pulled some springs and they tested 96-99#'s. Now I figure if they are that old they lost some pressure. They must have been pretty strong to begin with. Long story short I think they have taken a toll on my stock cam being so strong. I am installing a roller and checking my bearings while I am at it.

o and if you do tie it to the garage door make sure you pull the power cord on the garage ;)

I have a 3 year old who loves to open and close the garage. Yeah..I will remember to do that. It wouldnt be pretty at all.:eek:

For what it is worth, taking a hood off, and putting it back on and realigning it is a very simple task as well. One person can do it, but two make it alot easier.

Unbolt the hood shocks, get two bolts about 3" long and about 3/8 in dia.
Lay the hood back and take one of the bolts and put thru the hole in the hood shock and line it up with one of the holes in the hood, the hood will be about 80-85 degrees to the car, then do the same to the other side, works great, of course do not do it in a high wind situation as the could could go flying back on to the roof.

Ron

For what it is worth, taking a hood off, and putting it back on and realigning it is a very simple task as well. One person can do it, but two make it alot easier.

If you take a 1/16" drill bit and drill a hole on each side, through the mount and into the hood, it's very easy to get it back together aligned perfectly:smile:

Rich

Why remove the hood when it isn't necessary?

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 189
I've never been able to pull it back much further than vertical. It wouldn't go back any further, so just ran a rope back to something to tie it off so it wouldn't fall closed.