Leather Interior Install

Orion231

I just bought an ABS Leather Interior kit, and I am considering pulling the interior out and trying to do it myself...however the only thing that bothers me is making sure the leather is tight around the seats. Most people are asking $400 to install it WITH me removing the interior... :( But I dunno, does anyone have any advice on this? Is it very difficult? Or should I just take it someplace and have them do it.

UPDATE

Well no one has any opinions or ideas to offer, so here is an update if anyone cares... I pulled the interior out, and the back seat seems like a piece of cake, I just have to stretch out the leather cover over the seat and hog ring it just like factory, I am about to take the seats apart and see what I can do there, the door panels will have to goto an upholstery shop because I don't even wanna look at em!!! :( If anyone has done seat recovering let me know what you did and problems u ran into. I have manual seats so they are easy to take apart...

I don't know why I didn't see your post, but glad you went ahead and are doing it yourself. Good for you! Just like the backseat, the fronts should be pretty easy to do. When you pull the covers on, they will be pretty snug. Hog ring appropriately and you'll be done before you know it and $400 richer. I never did the TR seats but I did my 70 GS years ago. I'm sure there's not much difference in the procedure. I'm sure you won't have a problem. Good luck! ;)

Like John said - easy
The ONLY reason to havesomeone do it is if you're to lazy or no time!

Oh yeah...

I took the back seat all apart and used some steam and refluffed the foam a little, helped a little. I took the frame out and wire brushed it, and hit it with the Rustoleum Glossy Black, she looks perdy now... :D You guys are right, it's too easy, but the door panels, because of the sowing I will pull those and have a shop do em. *sigh* I just wished I could find the little parts that cover my seat tracks, I am missing a couple *black plastic trim* and my passenger side seat release is broken *little black handle to unlock the seat so it'll tilt forward so u can get in and out of the back seat* I am going to finish up painting and steaming tonight, tomorrow...I will cover! And I have a web cam so I can show some pics if you guys wanna see. :cool:

Question

I noticed the factory gathers the material at each corner and hog rings it tight... SO I assume the best way to put the covers on is to hog ring it on the frame first, then when u have it all on u can make final adjustments at the corners and hog ring the corner to tighten the seat up and snug the corner up. Also, has anyone ever used any other type of jibby besides a metal ring that will rust out over time? I have much experience with Zip Ties, and I can get some heavy duty ones that will last a lifetime and not get rusty... Just an idea, but I can make a small slit and then "zip tie" the cover down and adjust tightness. Good idea, or bad idea? lemme know what ya think interior guys...:D

when upolsterers work with leather or naughahide they usually put the fabric on a steam table to warm and soften the leather, then they can stretch and secure the fabric so when it cools it usually ends up being nice and tight.

Steam...

Thanks Blues, I have steam here I wa susing to rejuvinate those foam cushions a little, heats them up and the foam slowly expands, glad you told me I will heat them up and stretch them out. Is there any other reason upholstery shops use metal hog rings as opposed to something that u can adjust easier and that won't rust? I can use the big thick heavy duty ones and I have an excellent craftsman utility knife with multiple razor blades so I can make small slits for them to slide through. Thanks for the help guys! This may end up saving me alot of money, and I am enjoying it because I know I'll do a good job...i'm just anal retenative that way! :p