Leaking master cylinder reservoir

6banger

Slower Traffic Keep Right
I`ve had an intermittent brake warning light for the last month or so, checked the brakes at the wheels and they seem fine. And I didn`t notice any fade, soft pedal, or problems at all.
Monday I found a puddle of brake fluid on the garage floor under the master and the best job of finding its origin is the plastic reservoir. I don`t see any cracks. Is it time for a new master?
This is the longest the car has sit for months, I miss her already.

Thanks,
Jim

If it's the reservoir itself leaking because of a crack you will have to get the whole unit...you can get everything else seperately but not the reservoir...intermittent light sounds like the accumulator...
try to find out exactly where the leak is coming from...maybe one of the hoses is loose...reservoir cover could be leaking...the rubber gasket does wear out over time...pressure switch is known to leak...

Carparts.com = $199.00 exchange...don't forget to remove the grey pressure switch before you exchange it.
HTH
Jim

if the master is not overfilled(pump at least 10 times to unpressurize the system) its either the accumulater leaking down or the master itself is. get a 6 in piece of plastic hose for bleeding brakes, put it in the front hole of the res, see if fluid comes out of the top and spills over. repeat for the rear. front hole is master, rear is check valve blowby. could need cleaned or a cheap rebuild kit for the master. hope this helps.