Launching with stall converter??

airwolf

OK, My new tranny is in. It's not a top of the line unit but it was built by a guy that's got a lot of experience with the 2004r. I also got a 2800 stall converter to go with it. I've never run a stall converter before so my question is what is the best way to launch the car with this converter? I know it's a rookie question but how you gonna learn if you don't ask somebody?! I'm just breaking in the new motor so boost is turned down to about 8lbs. I did get on it a little bit today and it really comes to life at about 2800 rpm. I just don't know how to get it there from a standing start. Somebody tell me how it's supposed to work??

Far as I know you powerbrake it until the converter hits stall. I might be wrong but thats what i've been told.

launching with stall

OK but how do I keep from roasting the tires when I do that. Mine breaks the tires loose waaaaay before 2800!! Even before anything shows on the boost guage, I'm still showing vacuum when the tires start to spin. I'm running street tires, Dunlop 235/60/15s. Is this normal for street tires?

I had teh same problem with the 235/60's. I put 295/50's on and it helped alot. Do you have airbags? Try removing the pinion snubber it helps too. To top it all of, traction on the steet sucks in general. Best I've held was 4#'s on the street and I heated the tires first.

Launches

OK guess I'm not the only one that can't keep tires on these things! 295/50s huh? Might have to try 'em. Thanks for the info. I can't wait til this motor gets broken in and I can turn up the boost!

Good luck. You might need spacers for the 295's if you still have stock wheels. The T wheels have a different backspace or offset(can't remember) and alumium drums that help with clearance. I was able to get away with no spacers or anything and my car is lowered(only 1") As long as no one sits in the backseat I have no rubbing problems.

Check out your brakes...

Should be able to at least hold a few lbs of boost. Shoes worn, need adjusted? Drums glazed, worn beyond limits?
I'd check there first.
HTH, CaptRob

Also try posting in the Drag Racing section on this board...

Brakes are a big factor...you'll find that most are using "soft" brake shoes with S-10 Wheel Cylinders. of course with fresh drums.

Hold the brake till your red in the face...

EGT has some to do with it, if your exhaust isn't hot enough to turn the compressor...

Tires/Traction/ you need when you actually get it at 10psi and let go of the brake.

Air bag is good or box your stockers.

*what convertor? Lock uP or Non Lock uP? maybe locking up too early.????

launch

It's a l/u 2800 stall. If you ckeck my post in the "Brakes" forum you'll see I'm having problems with my rear brakes locking from time to time. Could this be related ??