Launching Trouble

Do you guys think its the IAC readings being to high causing my problems or something else? I havent got a chance to look at it yet, im moving to a new house soon and have been getting stuff ready.

I got the IAC perfect and that changed nothing, so i was talking to brian at gbody parts and he was saying it sounded like to much fuel. So i go to adjust my FP witht he regulator and with the line off it was showing like 50 something. So i start screwing and it doesnt seem to want to move but finally does after alot of screwing, but it wont ever go below the 40psi mark. And when i reconnect the line the gauge doesnt change at all. What do you guys think is going on with that?

I got the IAC perfect and that changed nothing, so i was talking to brian at gbody parts and he was saying it sounded like to much fuel. So i go to adjust my FP witht he regulator and with the line off it was showing like 50 something. So i start screwing and it doesnt seem to want to move but finally does after alot of screwing, but it wont ever go below the 40psi mark. And when i reconnect the line the gauge doesnt change at all. What do you guys think is going on with that?

Sounds like a bad regulator.

It sounds like you have a lot of problems here. Some good diagnostics will help.

First, don't run this car hard until you figure out what's up with the fuel pressure. Last thing you need to do is blow a head gasket because you ran the car hard and lean with a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Try to adjust the fuel pressure to about 43 psi with the vacuum line off and the engine idling (you did have the engine idling while you did this, didn't you???). Screwing clockwise should increase the fuel pressure, screwing counterclockwise should decrease it. You shouldn't have to turn the screw very much to get the pressure to go up or down 1 psi (less than a turn). Once you get it to 43 psi, put the vacuum line back on. The fuel pressure should drop a few psi (say to the high thirties). If you can't get this to work out, either the regulator is bad, or your fuel pressure gage is bad. Try to borrow a stock regulator if you're not sure - install that, it should be close enough. That will tell you if the fuel pressure gage is bad, or the regulator is bad.

Once you're sure that the regulator and gage are good, get the fuel pressure to about 43 psi, and drive the car for a while. After driving for a while, make sure your BLM's stay in the neighborhood of 128 while you're driving around (say 128 plus or minus 20). That should be close enough that you're not overly rich at WOT while spooling.

I have a TA49 (basically the same as a TE44), and with a D5 converter, I can hit 3 psi with about half throttle (if that). If I floor it off the footbrake, it won't take more than two or three seconds to spool to 3 psi. You should have no problem doing the same with your set-up. If you get the fuel pressure figured out, and still can't spool off the foot brake, then there are a couple of other things to check...

1. Your wastegate puck is stuck open, either because it's binding, or because the wastegate actuator is not adjusted properly.
2. You have a large exhaust leak, either in the manifolds or in the cross-over pipe.

Get the fuel pressure nailed down first, and then see where you're at. If not better, take a good look at the wategate and exhaust.

Good luck,

Ok im going to try and get that FP thing sorted out first like you said, to get the PSI to drop any i had to screw it alot. I felt like the screw was about maxed out when it finally went down to 40psi. And it deffinatly did not drop any psi when i hooked the vaccum line back up. And yes i had the car running and warmed up before i did this. I used to be able to spool the car just fine and my tranny went out. So i had it rebuilt and waited about a year to put it back in. When i did i was with this problem. Is it possible the FPR went bad from sitting? I also have another gauge and the stock FPR to try out next time so i should be able to pinpoint which is the problem.

Ok im going to try and get that FP thing sorted out first like you said, to get the PSI to drop any i had to screw it alot. I felt like the screw was about maxed out when it finally went down to 40psi. And it deffinatly did not drop any psi when i hooked the vaccum line back up. And yes i had the car running and warmed up before i did this. I used to be able to spool the car just fine and my tranny went out. So i had it rebuilt and waited about a year to put it back in. When i did i was with this problem. Is it possible the FPR went bad from sitting? I also have another gauge and the stock FPR to try out next time so i should be able to pinpoint which is the problem.

I once had an adjustable FPR that only lasted about a year or two. One day, for no apparent reason, the diaphram started leaking, and fuel was coming out of the top of it (not a good situation). I don't remember if that was after a long period of sitting or not. The point is that I've kinda lost some faith in FPR's having long, happy lives. That's why I'm somewhat suspicious of your FPR.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but wanted to clear it up incase it might help somebody else one day. The problem was the torque converter was bad, ended up taking out that new transmission...

Yup, these kinds of threads are way more helpful when the cause of the problem is made known once found :)

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but wanted to clear it up incase it might help somebody else one day. The problem was the torque converter was bad, ended up taking out that new transmission...
bad converter ? lock up clutch come apart or what exactly what failed just wondering I had a converter go bad but it was were the input shaft slides threw the converter don't know if it hurt the transmission.that's why I was wondering when you said took out new transmission metal or clutch material go threw the pump ?

Im not sure what exactly went wrong with the converter. I had a local guy look it over and confirm it was bad. He wasnt the one who built the trans so he wasnt trying to cover himself. But there was alot of clutch material in the pan when I dropped it.

To take out the thrust bearing, the TC has to 'balloon' out. Once it's swells and bottoms out on the pump, it shoves the crank into the block.

Personally I don't think that was your problem. You didn't have enough HP to do a burnout, that wasn't the TC fault. Then again, if you can't do a burnout, you shouldn't have had enough HP to balloon it in the first place.

It did put an end to the experiment though.