Larger throttle body discussion...pros and cons

wouldn't extra air in the compressor tank result in more heat?? The only way I can see needing a larger TB than the up pipe is if the air begins to re heat because it is being compressed again as it goes back up the up pipe.

fin question...

Sorry if this is a STOOPID question, but:

Would adding "fins" to the up-pipe do anything for cooling?

You know how stereo amplifiers, power inverters, computer chips, etc have "fins" coming off of the body to help cool it down?

Would this do anything on the up-pipe, or does the charged air move to fast?

I am not REALLY mental, this just popped in to my head...:D

Not on the upo pipe.
The temps underhood are usually around 200 degrees.
The air in the pipe is around 100-130 degrees.
Heat insulation helps that though.
Now on the turbo outlet pipe.....

kB had a water cooled uppipe years ago. Didnt se many of them on the road. Dont know if it actually helped any or not tho.

I've been reading the thread and there seems to be that this wasen't mentioned. Someone did discuss the fact that larger Intercooler pipes would decrease the velocity to the TB. (the velocity decreases because the airflow is allowed to expand) Well a larger TB and plenum will also decrease the intake velocity (or manifold pressure) More airflow (cfm) will not necessarily equal more HP. Modified TB's like JJ's decrease the parasitic drag through the TB, increasing the maximum airflow through the TB and plenum. Which still brings up the question.... do you require the additional airflow? Like others have mentioned it all depends on each individuals application. My car still has the stock TB and my new mill will still have the stock TB with a modified plenum and a powerplate. Just my .02

John

Seems like a lot of people reply with comments such as "you will only need to do it if you are in the 10's" or something like that. This is true not only for this thread, but for all threads about "air". This is really no answer.

Someone who really knows about this stuff should come up with a definitive answer to the ALL of the "air in, air out" questions.

Maybe a one page write up over at www.gnttype.org or something.

I am very big on the "air in, air out" way of thinking.

It would be great if someone could drive this all the way from air filter to tailpipe...

Where are there going to be "bottlenecks"?

air filter
MAF sensor - 3", 3.5", none(FAST)
turbo inlet bell
turbo outlet
intercooler inlet/dutweiler neck?
intercooler, intercooler and 1/2, front mount
intercooler outlet
up pipe
throttle body
plenum
plenum spacer/power plate
intake manifold
heads/valves
exhaust manifold/headers/crossover pipe
exhaust elbo
downpipe
cat/no cat
mufflers
tail pipes/dual/single
:confused:

Someone who really knows about this stuff should come up with a definitive answer to the ALL of the "air in, air out" questions.

It would be nice, but would take hundreds of Dyno pulls and countless man hours and hundreds of combinations.

Re: fin question...

Originally posted by jsta6

You know how stereo amplifiers, power inverters, computer chips, etc have "fins" coming off of the body to help cool it down?

The fins you have noticed are termed: "Heat Sinks" :)