Knock Sensor Location?

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
Where is the knock sensor located? Does anybody have a picture of it's location?

I bought a new one, just for same measures, but I can't seem to find it. :(

you can barely see the top of it ..rear top of right valve cover

Attachments

• MVC-003F.jpg
    MVC-003F.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 228
just installed a new one on my motor tonight. thanks Kirbans.

here

here you go. driver side back of the block.

Attachments

• DSCF0329.JPG
    DSCF0329.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 243
Thanks!

here you go. driver side back of the block.

That picture shows me a better description of where I will find it. :biggrin:

Thanks for going out of your way to take the picture for me!! Much appreciated! :D

i can get a better pic tomorrow if you need. i have rags and a spare intake to keep dirt out of my motor till my intake gets back. anyways no problem for the pic.

so the threaded hole in the back of the engine that you can see the flexplate is where it goes? the hole that i was arguing with my stepdad over that the knock sensor go into? i was right? ;)

buickbert

so the threaded hole in the back of the engine that you can see the flexplate is where it goes? the hole that i was arguing with my stepdad over that the knock sensor go into? i was right? ;)

buickbert

Torqued to 14ftlbs, no more, no less. No thread tape.

buickbert

correct

Torqued to 14ftlbs, no more, no less. No thread tape.

I replaced the knock sensor last night. It was right under the coil pack like Grumpy said. What a PITA to take it out with everything in the way. I just tightened it down, but didn't torque it to 14ftlbs. Will that be an issue?

I haven't driven the car yet, but then again, it wasn't reading any knock with the old sensor, that is why I wanted to replace it.

I replaced the knock sensor last night. It was right under the coil pack like Grumpy said. What a PITA to take it out with everything in the way. I just tightened it down, but didn't torque it to 14ftlbs. Will that be an issue?

Yes, it needs to be properly torqued to function right. I believe if its too tight, it will be too sensitive.

I haven't driven the car yet, but then again, it wasn't reading any knock with the old sensor, that is why I wanted to replace it.

i would torque it down if you can but i remember i had the same problem sometime back and ran it that way for years.

You guys correct me IF I'm wrong. The knock censor reads harmonics thats why no tape. Proper torque is very important on here if it's to loose it doesn't see enough vibration and to tight it will see too much. Knock produces a very specific harmonic "signature" and if the censor is to tight/loose it will either not register it or it will register other harmonics as knock/detonation. Good luck my motor is getting a brand new one in the rebuild while the motor is out of the car. Jon Hanson

Looks like I'm going to have to go back in and scratch up my arms and hands once again. :mad: