Knock Problems Solved

84HAGN

Hi All just thought I would share my solution to my mysterious knock problems
Hers the scoop
last year car would run great 1 min and then run like crap the next.
Had tons of knock both real and false.
So over the winter out comes the motor and gets rebuilt.
found pass motor mount shot.
Put motor back in with new everthing.
Ran for 50 miles and changed oil cut filter open and found no obvious problems
Ran another 100 changed oil cut filter again no problems.
Turned wick up to 12lbs of boost and guess what 1 min runs great next runs
like crap.with minimal (1* to 2* max)knock and no false knock.
After checking and double checking every vacum line boost hose , wiring connector and so on found no problems .
Reset TPS and IAC about 12 times (actualy only reset them twice the rest they checked good).
Noticed lately that after start up and warm up car started idling like crap so pulled plugs looked brand new (literally)
Then by dumb luck went to start car and noticed volt light not lit up.
Checked volts while running found 11.6 at idle.
Ok been here before pull dash and clean connectors and check bulb
reassemble dash turn key light on now start car now have 14.2 idling.
car has had no problem starting for 5 months no sign of battery drain or alt not charging.
runc car down road and watch turbo link notice voltage all over the place
went as low as 10.9 and high as 14.7
Volt light on dash never lit up during low voltage conditions.
Go to local alt shop get harness with diode and resistor($4.99)
wired up to fan relay power .
Start car 14.5 idling.
Run down the road and voltage never drops below 14.2 volts.car runs great everytime.No more hit or miss.
Morale of story:
The stupid bulb in the dash does not have to light while riding down the road
for the alt not to charge .
these cars are over 20 years old so with that and the road vibrations
the dash can and will loose contact and the alt will loose field voltage and stop charging.THen at the next bump contact restored and alt starts charging again.
We all know these cars need a real good supply of voltage and 12 volt battery is not enough when you drop the hammer by itself.So the alt has to be working for them to run properly..
Just thought I would share :
Just because the volt light on the dash doesnt come on while you are riding around means your alt is actually working. IT MAY NOT BE CHARGING .
I have all the gauges EXCEPT a voltage gauge.(Pillar pod on the way:D )
Hope this helps someone.

Good find Mike, here is what I went through.

After converting my ecm with a chip I would always get knock at 17 mph whenever I put the pedal to the floor from a stand still. Eric from TT was sure it was the maf being slow or out of calibration causing it to lean out. After trying other mafs with no sucess I tried someting one day. I removed the air filter and tried it, guess what, no knock and maf readings were better. Put the filter back on and it started to knock again. Here I was using a K&N stock replacement filter with the bottom of the filter box open, but it was too small to supply the necessary air through it.

Since then I have installed a 9 inch round K&N under the top of the stock filter box. My maf readings would max out at 180 I cleaned the MAF with that CRC maf cleaner they went up to 210-215. Then I put in a piece of 3 inch round aluminum drier vent inside the acordion section of the stock inlet tube to eliminate any turbulance. By doing all of this I have about a 20% increase in my maf readings and now they max out at 220-230.

......... Just because the volt light on the dash doesnt come on while you are riding around means your alt is actually working. IT MAY NOT BE CHARGING .

Nice! ...........

...... Since then I have installed a 9 inch round K&N under the top of the stock filter box. My maf readings would max out at 180 I cleaned the MAF with that CRC maf cleaner they went up to 210-215. Then I put in a piece of 3 inch round aluminum drier vent inside the acordion section of the stock inlet tube to eliminate any turbulance. By doing all of this I have about a 20% increase in my maf readings and now they max out at 220-230.

Very nice!
What boost level is that at?

This sounds like what I have going on.....

Hi All just thought I would share my solution to my mysterious knock problems
Hers the scoop
last year car would run great 1 min and then run like crap the next.
Had tons of knock both real and false.
So over the winter out comes the motor and gets rebuilt.
found pass motor mount shot.
Put motor back in with new everthing.
Ran for 50 miles and changed oil cut filter open and found no obvious problems
Ran another 100 changed oil cut filter again no problems.
Turned wick up to 12lbs of boost and guess what 1 min runs great next runs
like crap.with minimal (1* to 2* max)knock and no false knock.
After checking and double checking every vacum line boost hose , wiring connector and so on found no problems .
Reset TPS and IAC about 12 times (actualy only reset them twice the rest they checked good).
Noticed lately that after start up and warm up car started idling like crap so pulled plugs looked brand new (literally)
Then by dumb luck went to start car and noticed volt light not lit up.
Checked volts while running found 11.6 at idle.
Ok been here before pull dash and clean connectors and check bulb
reassemble dash turn key light on now start car now have 14.2 idling.
car has had no problem starting for 5 months no sign of battery drain or alt not charging.
runc car down road and watch turbo link notice voltage all over the place
went as low as 10.9 and high as 14.7
Volt light on dash never lit up during low voltage conditions.
Go to local alt shop get harness with diode and resistor($4.99)
wired up to fan relay power .
Start car 14.5 idling.
Run down the road and voltage never drops below 14.2 volts.car runs great everytime.No more hit or miss.
Morale of story:
The stupid bulb in the dash does not have to light while riding down the road
for the alt not to charge .
these cars are over 20 years old so with that and the road vibrations
the dash can and will loose contact and the alt will loose field voltage and stop charging.THen at the next bump contact restored and alt starts charging again.
We all know these cars need a real good supply of voltage and 12 volt battery is not enough when you drop the hammer by itself.So the alt has to be working for them to run properly..
Just thought I would share :
Just because the volt light on the dash doesnt come on while you are riding around means your alt is actually working. IT MAY NOT BE CHARGING .
I have all the gauges EXCEPT a voltage gauge.(Pillar pod on the way:D )
Hope this helps someone.

This sounds like what I have going on....Im gonna have2 go home and look into this, this harness you speak of, what and where?? My local alternator shop was not faniliar with it and from my dealings I would have to say that he is pretty on top of it.....id like to purchase this part....Thanks, Ryan

Caspers electronics sells an alternator field -fix wire harness kit that will allow your car to still charge in the event of any dash bulb or contact issues.