Knock Knock, whos there, please read..

wiked87gn

Banned
got this new T type and having a hard time tunning the thing, the car had a variable timing chip in addition to a three bar map put under the dash to aid with the boost feedback, weird set up but anyways, part throttle gets lots of knock this car makes boost like mad, 1/4 throttle and boost is up at 16psi and knocking like crazy, with the propain on at 50% still knocks hard, the knock goes away for a couple of frames but it comes right back at WOT big time, you can even hear it , i noticed the downpipe is hitting the frame but that would cause false knock not real knock, not the engine was assemble with a single steel shimm gasket which bring compression to around 9 to1 which means running 15 psi on this motor is like running close to 19 psi, but still with 91 pump and propain on the knock should not even be existent, i have direct scan hooked up in the car with the old chip it was showing wayy lean thus the major knock, so i took off the 3 bar map and hook had a new chip put in, still getting knock at part throttle but now its running way rich, around 850's or 870's on the 02's or should i say around 9 to 1 and 10 to 1. what is going on, should i be looking at something else on this thing, is driving me nuts.. btw the car has a caspers fuel pump in tank that is hotwire from the relay from the 3 bar map at the fender on the car, fuel pressure holds good , 13.7 volts from the alternator so that is also good, any ideas feel free the chimme in... also has ported heads/intake/ stock ported turbo and inlet, so this things flows air like mad and that explains the spool being so quick at part throttle..

If you are using a 3 bar map how do you know what the boost really is.The 3 bar throws the guage off.
Podt this ? in the alcohol section and Razor will answer the ? properly.

how can you tell morgan?I dont hear any funny noises or anything and the car idles beaufifully..

Originally posted by Buicksx3
Are all the lobes the right shape on the cam? :)

Originally posted by wiked87gn
also has ported heads/intake/ stock ported turbo and inlet, so this things flows air like mad and that explains the spool being so quick at part throttle..

You my man have a mess. The sig says 3500 stall converter. Let alone your messing with the propain mess.

Drop 110 in the tank, get a "normal" chip, and bring your car back as close to original as possible to start eliminating all the stuff done.

If the 110 octane fuel curbs the knock then your going in the rite direction. If not.. then you know its not octane related.

Swap ecm's, coilpack ign module, and MAF.. taking those three out of the equation narrows a lot as well.

You need the car to run clean at WOT at a very low boost level.. then work from there. As long as its knocking.. do not up the boost. Thats placing the carriage before the horse. I say take it down to 12 PSI at WOT and tune that.. then move forward.

Good luck.

Re: Re: Knock Knock, whos there, please read..

the signature of the car i got here is not the car we are talking about razor, the car i am talking about is a T type and it has 2,800 stall in it, i will try to tune by starting at a very low boost level just like you said and take it from there, tomorrow i will get some race gas and see if the knock goes away, hopefully that be it and end of the story.. i will keep you updated..

Originally posted by Razor
You my man have a mess. The sig says 3500 stall converter. Let alone your messing with the propain mess.

Drop 110 in the tank, get a "normal" chip, and bring your car back as close to original as possible to start eliminating all the stuff done.

If the 110 octane fuel curbs the knock then your going in the rite direction. If not.. then you know its not octane related.

Swap ecm's, coilpack ign module, and MAF.. taking those three out of the equation narrows a lot as well.

You need the car to run clean at WOT at a very low boost level.. then work from there. As long as its knocking.. do not up the boost. Thats placing the carriage before the horse. I say take it down to 12 PSI at WOT and tune that.. then move forward.

Good luck.

Ahhhhh.. ok..

baby steps.. start low and clean.. then work your way up.

Good luck.