Kirbans vacuum brake conversion

dragrazor

I have been looking for a vacuum brake conversion and came across this:

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/44018/REBUILT+COMPLETE+VACUUM+BRAKE+BOOSTER+KIT+#7454.html

It states that you can use your own powermaster factory brake pedal and not have to modify it therefore not needing to be removed,therefore making it an easier installation. Am i reading this right? The only thing that i can see is that you are kinda married to kirban if ever you need a new brake booster since its not an over the counter part at a parts store. Does anybody know which company makes it? I am just trying to find another source for it just in case i cant get it from kirbans.

Not trying to be rude but think this through. Trying to circumvent a paying board vendor? Not the best plan.

If you want easy, this is certainly a good place to buy. Kirban has great customer service and stands behind his products.

If you want cheap, the do it yourself trial and error comes with it.

I wasn't sold on the vacuum so I went hydroboost. I think the cost of each are comparable.

Yeah, you are right, but my honest intentions were not to circumvent anyone,although it did sound that way. My fear is that if ever i needed a replacement booster, and god forbid kirban wasnt around anymore, i would have to do the whole switch when all i would need is to go to a parts vendor with a part number and get a replacement. In all honesty, it was not my intention. My intentions were to buy it from kirban with the relief that i know i can always get a replacement part like any other brake booster.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I understand. I may be calling the kettle black as I buy cheap too. Four kids and the expenses of life keep me on a very strict (read low) budget. It is one of the reasons I went with the hydroboost. I knew it works on our Burb and worked on the 84 T-Type I traded in on my 87. By the time I paid for the $40 vac port block, and booster, pedal, and such, I bought two lines and the hydroboost for what i felt was the same or cheaper. I did have to buy a brass tee and some trans cooler line to make a return but everything else bolted in. There is a rebuild kit for the hydroboost so I figured future repairs can be accomplished. And I got the Cadillac m/c so it looks kind of period correct with the plastic reservoir.

I have three kids myself and i ended up going the cheaper route. As a matter of fact,i just got back from the junk yard with a brake pedal. The last regal on their lot!!! I ordered the mc and booster from advance(they had a $20.00 discount if i bought it online). I also ordered the booster filter. All i need now is to decide if i am going the vacuum block route or the pcv route to get the vacuum. Which do you recommend? I am in it exactly $180.00 so far.

Silly as this sounds I'd drill and tap for a fitting in the original block. I've seen it but didn't know enough to ask at the time. Nothing wrong with your two choices and if forced to chose I guess I'd order the t/a block.

You are right in there with what I spent I believe. Mine was under $200 and I even bought a chinesium flare wrench to do the fittings on the steering.

I'd definately plan on some new fluid and possibly a wheel cylinder or caliper unless yours is a southern car.

Sounds like you are well on your way to stopping with confidence.

All i need now is to decide if i am going the vacuum block route or the pcv route to get the vacuum. Which do you recommend? I am in it exactly $180.00 so far.

I tried it at the PCV and it didn't pull enough vacuum for me. I tapped into another line instead and it works flawlessly. No need for the vacuum block

i want to know how the Kirban setup is able to use the stock PM pedal? the ratio would be off for a vacuum setup...

if i was gonna do it, i'd probably go with the big late 80's B body dual diaphragm booster from a junkyard donor.. it's like 11" in diameter and bolts right in.. then i'd probably just figure out where the pivot needs to be and drill the stock pedal..

I bought a vacuum pedal for mine. I can see how drilling it would have also been good, that way,you wont have to change the pedal if you ever go back to the powermaster. I plan on keeping the car so the originality is not as important to me as the safety aspect, especially since my kids go out with their dad whenever dad drives the gn. :)

I tried it at the PCV and it didn't pull enough vacuum for me. I tapped into another line instead and it works flawlessly. No need for the vacuum block

If you don't mind me asking, what line did you tap into to get enough vacuum to run brakes? Doing vacuum conversion myself and am at the hair pulling stage. Thanks..

Tied into one of the lines that went to the charcoal canister.

image.jpg