Kirbans Korner

I am ex-military. In July 1985 I started a two year assignment as a military adviser in El Salvador. While there I would receive my car magazines and kept reading about the Buick GN. I loved everything about the car except the fact that it did not come with a manual transmission. I put it on the back burner. Exciting but I really thought a muscle car should have a manual transmission. I returned back to the states in early October 1987. I had read that the 1987 Buick GN build had been extended until Dec 1987 and figured that since I was home, I would order one. I liked the looks of the car, the performance and its uniqueness and figured it would be a collectible car someday. Besides performance wise nothing was close. I went to my local Buick dealer and ordered the car. The day after the order was accepted by Buick the sales bank closed. Got my order in just in time. Car was delivered 15 Dec and I picked it up the same day after work. I remember it was raining, not hard but kind of a mist. That has been the only time the car has been in the rain.

kirban 2 cents worth

Bill, based on your story.....since you purchased one of the last ones have you ever checked your VIN number against what is known as the last one. Also date on the label on the drivers door jam?

So, your example like a few others have had lots of birthdays and seat time together.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have actually been to the dealership in Spring Hill a few times and have had some alone time with the Last GN. Robert Colvin is a VERY cool guy and was all about sharing info on his car. Here's a thread covering my visit to the car. :cool:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/273106-pics-last-gn-ever-built.html

Yea, those tires lit up and smoked for days. :D

Hopefully the Saints keep up the good work. If they go all the way, get ready for a cooooold winter... Cause Hell will have finally frozen over. LOL!

kirban 2 cents worth

I thought you would be familar with him....He almost came to my 60th birthday bash two years ago when I had Molly here and Richard Clark and the last GNX built. It would have been history having last GNX and the last GN side by side. Doubtful that will ever happen as the GNX resides in NJ and the GN is in Saints territory.

Long as Brees stays healthy and protected and fires those quick releases they got a shot.

Listen get a chance....call Bob for me as I do not have his number....he video taped the car being built and I can get that made into a DVD which would be very interesting for any Turbo owner. I talked to him awhile ago about it but nothing became of it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Safe bet I'm younger than about 90% on here was born in 81 so my view of things is a bit different. Pretty much out of the womb I had some type of car toy with me at all times. I grew up loving Knight Rider. The 3rd Gen Trans AM was really my first favorite car. In my teenage years before I was able to drive I really dug into pretty much any car magazine or book I could get ahold of. I've always been a GM guy particularly Pontiac. I used to build model cars I got tons of them still to build. Always was into Nascar too.

By the time I was old enough to drive I recognized many of the 80s cars or knew their backgrounds, one of my friends had a 86 Monte Carlo SS, which I promptly stomped with my 88 Quad 4 Powered Grand AM. Never much cared for the Grand Prixs and Monte Carlos of that particular body style. I knew there was a Buick and Olds variant of the car but never thought much of them. Upon my digging into F-body history I learned of the TTA and its place as the only Trans AM to have a V6 but oddly the fastest one ever made. I knew the engine was from Buick but never really bothered to find out what cars from Buick it was in.

My grandfather owned 2 buicks so it never really clicked in my head as being a "performance car". From the time I turned 16 and had my cars I got into the 4 cylinder world and never really looked much into the past of muscle cars anymore.

I considered going to a Cobra or Mach 1 mustang for a little while because I was getting tired of the 4 banger world and wanted to dabble in something different. Then I started looking into GTA Trans AMs because I always liked 3rd gens and they were just the best. Then of course I rediscovered the Turbo Trans AM and I became obsessed with it and had to learn everything about it. During that time I also learned all about the Grand Nationals.

Like many others on here alot of folks with TTAs have Grand Nationals and vice versa. Its a brillant engine. I've kinda fallen in love with the Turbo Buicks. To me its the perfect link between the classic muscle car and the modern computerized forced induction muscle car era that we are in now. Its the best of both worlds, I think thats also why it has a very wide range of appeal to so many different age groups. Young guys like me, we love big turbos and we like to be able to tinker with the engine computer to get the results we are looking for.

The real tragedy of course is the demise of the Turbo Buick and to me its case and point of why GM failed. Instead of worrying about something else being faster than the Corvette maybe they should have gone to a Turbo V6 in the first place rather than continuing on with old V8s that weren't making more power or being more efficient. Can you imagine with another 20 years of factory development and refining what the 3.8 would have been capable of? One can only wonder, but at the end of the day you feel blessed that you got to enjoy something so awesome as the Turbo Buick, even if it was only for a short time.

Safe bet I'm younger than about 90% on here was born in 81 so my view of things is a bit different. Pretty much out of the womb I had some type of car toy with me at all times. I grew up loving Knight Rider. The 3rd Gen Trans AM was really my first favorite car. In my teenage years before I was able to drive I really dug into pretty much any car magazine or book I could get ahold of. I've always been a GM guy particularly Pontiac. I used to build model cars I got tons of them still to build. Always was into Nascar too.

By the time I was old enough to drive I recognized many of the 80s cars or knew their backgrounds, one of my friends had a 86 Monte Carlo SS, which I promptly stomped with my 88 Quad 4 Powered Grand AM. Never much cared for the Grand Prixs and Monte Carlos of that particular body style. I knew there was a Buick and Olds variant of the car but never thought much of them. Upon my digging into F-body history I learned of the TTA and its place as the only Trans AM to have a V6 but oddly the fastest one ever made. I knew the engine was from Buick but never really bothered to find out what cars from Buick it was in.

My grandfather owned 2 buicks so it never really clicked in my head as being a "performance car". From the time I turned 16 and had my cars I got into the 4 cylinder world and never really looked much into the past of muscle cars anymore.

I considered going to a Cobra or Mach 1 mustang for a little while because I was getting tired of the 4 banger world and wanted to dabble in something different. Then I started looking into GTA Trans AMs because I always liked 3rd gens and they were just the best. Then of course I rediscovered the Turbo Trans AM and I became obsessed with it and had to learn everything about it. During that time I also learned all about the Grand Nationals.

Like many others on here alot of folks with TTAs have Grand Nationals and vice versa. Its a brillant engine. I've kinda fallen in love with the Turbo Buicks. To me its the perfect link between the classic muscle car and the modern computerized forced induction muscle car era that we are in now. Its the best of both worlds, I think thats also why it has a very wide range of appeal to so many different age groups. Young guys like me, we love big turbos and we like to be able to tinker with the engine computer to get the results we are looking for.

The real tragedy of course is the demise of the Turbo Buick and to me its case and point of why GM failed. Instead of worrying about something else being faster than the Corvette maybe they should have gone to a Turbo V6 in the first place rather than continuing on with old V8s that weren't making more power or being more efficient. Can you imagine with another 20 years of factory development and refining what the 3.8 would have been capable of? One can only wonder, but at the end of the day you feel blessed that you got to enjoy something so awesome as the Turbo Buick, even if it was only for a short time.

kirban 2 cents worth

Good story.....those grand ams didn't they have problems with coolant? I know they were fairly quick as my son had one when he was around 20 years old. Actually those 1980s TAs are now becoming more valuable....Us old guys its hard to fall in love with the ride of those F body cars...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I'm sure I have told my story here before but here goes again.

Have been into cars since the 70's. Ever see the movie "Dazed and Confused"? Well that was my high school years. I couldn't afford the nice muscle cars all my rich friends had as my parents made me pay my own way. So, while my friends were driving their new 70 Chevelle SS's, Novas and Torinos I was slumming in a 66 Falcon with a straight 6 and automatic transmission.:rolleyes: Only paid a dollar for it.

Well, like any kid back then, first required item was a set of Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks. Air those babies up and get that dog in heat look.:rolleyes: Long story short, I swapped in a 289 and manual 3 speed from a friend's Mustang that was rolled at 90 mph and now I had a "hot rod" too. Ended up blowing up the 6 cylinder rearend and learned that a 66 Fairlane 8" rear would bolt right in. This car helped me learn a lot about cars in general but
since Falcons were not considered cool, I eventually ended up with a 66 Chevelle that I bought for $350.

Little did I know that this car would be mine for almost 20 years and end up in just about every magazine except Field and Stream. Some guys change cars like they change their socks but for some reason I just hold on to things for a while. The Chevelle was a daily driver for a few years as I slowly fixed it up and eventually graduated to a full on show car. Went from a 327 with nitrous to a 427 tunnel ram with nitrous and Doug Nash 5 speed and then the ultimate transition to a pro street car with a supercharged 454.

Assembled all the motors myself, just learned by reading and then doing it. Even started a car club in the 80's that went strong for 15 years. Unlike most of my friends who got married and started families in there 20's I just played with cars and traveled around the country going to car shows and running my own local events. Many trips to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals when they first started back in the late 70's out in Indy, then Illinois as well as Super Chevy Sundays at Maple Grove in PA and NH.

Finally got serious with someone and got married at 37 for the first time. Most of my friends were already on their 2nd marriage or divorce.:rolleyes: Once married, I ended up selling my truck and car trailer and the Chevelle rolled on it's own to shows. (Was actually more fun doing that) THEN, baby time. Was a father at 40 and no way was I cutting the cage out of the Chevelle to make room for a baby seat. Time to sell. Went to the big show at Lake George NY with a for sale sign on it and got my price. Won at the show too. Was tough driving home afterwards knowing the car would not be mine at the end of the week when the new owners were coming to pick it up. Still remember that feeling of driving down I-91 with my friends coming back from the show, listening to the blower whining and looking out the windshield at the dual 750 Holleys and scoop obstucting my view.

My plan was to buy something already done as I didn't want to build a car with a baby on the way. Wanted something with creature comforts, good looks and performance. Hold on we are getting to the Turbo Regal aspect of this story................

Tried to think of what I could pick up that met my requirements, street rod? No thanks, restored muscle car? Too boring. Hmmmmm, thinking back to the 1988 Car Craft Nationals East when it was held at Englishtown NJ got me my answer.

Remember a BUNCH of these weird sounding black cars beating up on all the classic 60's and 70's muscle cars. The place was crawling with Buick Grand Nationals and my friends and I all hated them! How can a brand new car put a hurting on our beloved hot rods. Didn't make sense. Most of us ended up running against one of them at some point in the day. (that Nationals had a show AND drag racing) At the time my Chevelle had the 427 tunnel ram motor with nitrous but with my manual shifting abilities it never ran the number it was capable of. As far as I can remember I DID beat the one I ran but it was real close. Even found a picture of this event years later showing me running it. Have attached it here, notice how different Englishtown looked back then!

So here we are now in 1995 and I am now in need of a "new" car. A Grand National it is! AC, cruise, power windows, back seat for the baby and power to boot. Chevelle has been gone for two weeks now and ironically the Englishtown swap meet is coming up.

Bunch of friends and I go down there and only a few GN's for sale and most were beat. I was looking for the lowest mileage car I could find and if it had a few mods on it that fine with me as I wouldn't be keeping it stock. Walked the whole swap meet and then I see it! A lowered GN pulling in with aftermarket wheels. Made a note of where it parked and we only had one row left of parts to look at and then would head for where the GN was. Get there and no GN! Friends were bugging me about leaving as we had the NY traffic to look forward to on the way back to CT.

Told them I had a feeling that this was "my" car and one friend and I walked farther down the track where the cars for sale were parked and there it was. 4700 miles and it was CLEAN. Still smelled new inside. Lowered with billet specialties wheels, all stock under the hood except for a K&N filter. Interior had oil and water gauges in the console but were never hooked up. Weirdest thing was the rearend. For some reason he put a Ford 9" in it! Always suspected that maybe it was raced but never found any rubber buildup under the car when I got it home. Unfortunately the original wheels, tires and rear did not come with the car as they were sold off. The guy was the original owner.

This car came out of Flushing NY near the 64 world's fair sphere/globe. Remember that big scene from Men in Black movie? We had to drive right by there to get the car the following week. Hard to believe that was 14 years ago and yes, have only had the one GN during this time, not planning on giving car up as it's the only vice I have.

Most ironic thing, the original intention of selling the Chevelle and buying the GN was so the whole family could go to shows, cruises, etc but as it turns out, my son could care less about cars. Video games and computers is his thing.

Attachments

• GNVSCHEV.JPG
    GNVSCHEV.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 306
I'm sure I have told my story here before but here goes again.

Have been into cars since the 70's. Ever see the movie "Dazed and Confused"? Well that was my high school years. I couldn't afford the nice muscle cars all my rich friends had as my parents made me pay my own way. So, while my friends were driving their new 70 Chevelle SS's, Novas and Torinos I was slumming in a 66 Falcon with a straight 6 and automatic transmission.:rolleyes: Only paid a dollar for it.

Well, like any kid back then, first required item was a set of Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks. Air those babies up and get that dog in heat look.:rolleyes: Long story short, I swapped in a 289 and manual 3 speed from a friend's Mustang that was rolled at 90 mph and now I had a "hot rod" too. Ended up blowing up the 6 cylinder rearend and learned that a 66 Fairlane 8" rear would bolt right in. This car helped me learn a lot about cars in general but
since Falcons were not considered cool, I eventually ended up with a 66 Chevelle that I bought for $350.

Little did I know that this car would be mine for almost 20 years and end up in just about every magazine except Field and Stream. Some guys change cars like they change their socks but for some reason I just hold on to things for a while. The Chevelle was a daily driver for a few years as I slowly fixed it up and eventually graduated to a full on show car. Went from a 327 with nitrous to a 427 tunnel ram with nitrous and Doug Nash 5 speed and then the ultimate transition to a pro street car with a supercharged 454.

Assembled all the motors myself, just learned by reading and then doing it. Even started a car club in the 80's that went strong for 15 years. Unlike most of my friends who got married and started families in there 20's I just played with cars and traveled around the country going to car shows and running my own local events. Many trips to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals when they first started back in the late 70's out in Indy, then Illinois as well as Super Chevy Sundays at Maple Grove in PA and NH.

Finally got serious with someone and got married at 37 for the first time. Most of my friends were already on their 2nd marriage or divorce.:rolleyes: Once married, I ended up selling my truck and car trailer and the Chevelle rolled on it's own to shows. (Was actually more fun doing that) THEN, baby time. Was a father at 40 and no way was I cutting the cage out of the Chevelle to make room for a baby seat. Time to sell. Went to the big show at Lake George NY with a for sale sign on it and got my price. Won at the show too. Was tough driving home afterwards knowing the car would not be mine at the end of the week when the new owners were coming to pick it up. Still remember that feeling of driving down I-91 with my friends coming back from the show, listening to the blower whining and looking out the windshield at the dual 750 Holleys and scoop obstucting my view.

My plan was to buy something already done as I didn't want to build a car with a baby on the way. Wanted something with creature comforts, good looks and performance. Hold on we are getting to the Turbo Regal aspect of this story................

Tried to think of what I could pick up that met my requirements, street rod? No thanks, restored muscle car? Too boring. Hmmmmm, thinking back to the 1988 Car Craft Nationals East when it was held at Englishtown NJ got me my answer.

Remember a BUNCH of these weird sounding black cars beating up on all the classic 60's and 70's muscle cars. The place was crawling with Buick Grand Nationals and my friends and I all hated them! How can a brand new car put a hurting on our beloved hot rods. Didn't make sense. Most of us ended up running against one of them at some point in the day. (that Nationals had a show AND drag racing) At the time my Chevelle had the 427 tunnel ram motor with nitrous but with my manual shifting abilities it never ran the number it was capable of. As far as I can remember I DID beat the one I ran but it was real close. Even found a picture of this event years later showing me running it. Have attached it here, notice how different Englishtown looked back then!

So here we are now in 1995 and I am now in need of a "new" car. A Grand National it is! AC, cruise, power windows, back seat for the baby and power to boot. Chevelle has been gone for two weeks now and ironically the Englishtown swap meet is coming up.

Bunch of friends and I go down there and only a few GN's for sale and most were beat. I was looking for the lowest mileage car I could find and if it had a few mods on it that fine with me as I wouldn't be keeping it stock. Walked the whole swap meet and then I see it! A lowered GN pulling in with aftermarket wheels. Made a note of where it parked and we only had one row left of parts to look at and then would head for where the GN was. Get there and no GN! Friends were bugging me about leaving as we had the NY traffic to look forward to on the way back to CT.

Told them I had a feeling that this was "my" car and one friend and I walked farther down the track where the cars for sale were parked and there it was. 4700 miles and it was CLEAN. Still smelled new inside. Lowered with billet specialties wheels, all stock under the hood except for a K&N filter. Interior had oil and water gauges in the console but were never hooked up. Weirdest thing was the rearend. For some reason he put a Ford 9" in it! Always suspected that maybe it was raced but never found any rubber buildup under the car when I got it home. Unfortunately the original wheels, tires and rear did not come with the car as they were sold off. The guy was the original owner.

This car came out of Flushing NY near the 64 world's fair sphere/globe. Remember that big scene from Men in Black movie? We had to drive right by there to get the car the following week. Hard to believe that was 14 years ago and yes, have only had the one GN during this time, not planning on giving car up as it's the only vice I have.

Most ironic thing, the original intention of selling the Chevelle and buying the GN was so the whole family could go to shows, cruises, etc but as it turns out, my son could care less about cars. Video games and computers is his thing.

kirban 2 cents worth

Great story....finally hearing from people that are near my age....about the Car Craft Nationals....I think the first one was held in Memphis TN as my wife and I went to that one in our 1963 split window corvette.....around 1971?

She took first place running that obstacle course that was woman only.....trophy was bigger than any I ever won at any car show. Back then these events were small.

We make the emergency brake handles for those 1964-67 Chevelles...almost identical to the same year GTOs except Chevelle was threaded and GTO was a push on....made them back around 1991 for the companies...You could buy a new S10 truck for what that tooling cost...

Did you have that goofy knee kicker tach think they put the turn signal blinker in it. They had a slick looking two spoke optional plastic wood steering wheel that was also high buck at swap meets back in the day.....

At Don Garlits last weekend I should have bought them a set of LS7 aluminum heads that once belonged to Smokey Yunick.....dated 1970 on the tag....

You did a smart move enjoy the ride.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Bill, based on your story.....since you purchased one of the last ones have you ever checked your VIN number against what is known as the last one. Also date on the label on the drivers door jam?

So, your example like a few others have had lots of birthdays and seat time together.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Last 6 of the VIN 463365. I'll check the door label later. What was the VIN of the last GN made?

Last 6 of the VIN 463365. I'll check the door label later. What was the VIN of the last GN made?

kirban 2 cents worth

According to the Facts & Figures book the last GN which resides in Lousiana still is 465288...so if I am doing the math correctly they built another 1,923 after your example. Although I don;t have my notes handy they were buidling so many per day starting in the fall of 1987 and only those cars as part of that last 10,000.

By looking at the decal on your door that should show the month. Taking a wild guess it may read like 11/87.

Any of you current 1987 Grand National owners may want to run your VIN number against the last one see who can come the closest to the last one built. Obviously your door label would get you close with the month.

Ashame for any of us 1987 Turbo-T owners I have no clue as to the last one that was built. Your door sticker would nail down the month in 1987 which would give some inkling since I assume production ceased sometime in late spring early summer of 1987 since Buick was switching over to an entirely new Regal platform......again just my thoughts.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

be sure to put post it on your computer for Thanksgiving weekend for the Christmas Contest.

I enjoy all the stories.....member life is all about memories.....some good some bad.....Buick related, the smaller the oil puddle on the garage floor the better!

kirban 2 cents worth

According to the Facts & Figures book the last GN which resides in Lousiana still is 465288...so if I am doing the math correctly they built another 1,923 after your example. Although I don;t have my notes handy they were buidling so many per day starting in the fall of 1987 and only those cars as part of that last 10,000.

By looking at the decal on your door that should show the month. Taking a wild guess it may read like 11/87.

Any of you current 1987 Grand National owners may want to run your VIN number against the last one see who can come the closest to the last one built. Obviously your door label would get you close with the month.

Ashame for any of us 1987 Turbo-T owners I have no clue as to the last one that was built. Your door sticker would nail down the month in 1987 which would give some inkling since I assume production ceased sometime in late spring early summer of 1987 since Buick was switching over to an entirely new Regal platform......again just my thoughts.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

be sure to put post it on your computer for Thanksgiving weekend for the Christmas Contest.

I enjoy all the stories.....member life is all about memories.....some good some bad.....Buick related, the smaller the oil puddle on the garage floor the better!

My last 87 had a 12/87 on the door jam sticker. It went to the son of one of the origional founders in Motorola (electronics and CB's etc). Have to dig around and see if I kept any reminants of the actual VIN#.

Ty

My last 87 had a 12/87 on the door jam sticker. It went to the son of one of the origional founders in Motorola (electronics and CB's etc). Have to dig around and see if I kept any reminants of the actual VIN#.

Ty

Car had 20,100 miles and rode on the origional tires when it left Kansas.

I saw the first Grand National at a indoor car show in British Columbia, Canada. I had my 1956 Ford p/u there as well. The following year I went to Hot Rod Super Cruise in Vancouver, Washington and the guy that owned the GN was there as well. Met him that weekend and got to know him, met him at a few more shows and I mentioned I was looking into special ordering a Cutlass Supreme to which he replied he was thinking of selling the GN, called him a few weeks later, went to look at the car in White Rock, BC. I mentioned I would really like the car but neede to pay off my grandmother (She helped me with a down payment on a house) He said how long will that be- I said 6 months. He said no problem, I gave him $100 in March 86, car was parked till he delivered it to me the middle of Sept. 86!! The '84 GN had 4,000 km on it when I purchased it at two years old!! I had talked with a local Buick dealer in those months and had to show the salesperson in the brochure- he hadn't heard of a GN in the 2 years they had been built!! I showed the car for 4 years in ISCA shows then I sold the car with just over 100,000 km when my oldest daughter was born (needed a 4 door)... Sad thing is I know where this car is now- parked in a carport, about 1/2 hr from my home... I tried to buy it back and owner won't part with it, sad to see it go to waste. pics are in my sig.

I was a Pontiac guy who read in Hot Rod that the GN was the fastest car in America and that caught my interest. I wanted to test drive one but up until 12-31-86 you could deduct sales taxes on a new car on your Federal income taxes so most car dealers had no GN's and low inventories on most cars so I kind of gave up on the idea.

One Saturday in February I was driving by a Buick dealer and they were unloading turbo Regals from a car hauler. There were 2 GN's, a silver T-Type and what I thought was a 3rd GN. I went in the showroom and was told that the 3 GN's were sold. The salesman did mention that one of the buyers had poor credit and that they would not know until Monday if the deal would go through.

Monday morning he called me at work and told me the car was available! I was excited and told a co-worker about the car and how I was leaving to run over to the dealer. He knew I liked cars and said there must be something special about them If I was so excited about it. He came to the dealer with me and I bought the black car... which turned out to be a WE4 (but I had no idea what that was) and my friend was so impressed... he bought the silver T-Type!

I called my wife to tell her I had bought the car for a birthday present to myself. The dealer was close to our home so she came by to see the cars. We were getting our paperwork done in the salesman's cube and knowing that they had no turbo Buicks left... she went up to another salesman and asked if they had any GN's or T-Types available because if they did... she would pay $1,000 over sticker to get one. She fooled that other salesman!

Paul

kirban 2 cents worth

All great stories in the next day or so I will post the next question. I also have taken a photo of something unique that I will have MR AMC post probably Monday. Most of you probably realize that I have a wealth of literature from being at this "game" since the beginning.

It in a way its kind of neat this is the turbo world and MR AMC posts my photos. Positive proof, it is possible for all of us to get along.

Vancouver area story, even when these cars where new these cars were seldom seen. In my area when they were new I would see several every day in my travels. We even did the wave to each other like Vette owners do.

Now, we are an endangered breed as far as being seen on a day to day basis.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Car had 20,100 miles and rode on the origional tires when it left Kansas.

kirban 2 cents worth

One of the very first cars I bought to resell was a GN from your state...Hardly had any options crank windows no window tint. The guy was a fanatic even saved every burned out lite bulb and the original black ribbed oil filter. Think it had like 6,000 miles on it.

I had a transport company go get it. Kansas, is alittle more than I wanted to drive.

I am willing to bet some of the members on this forum with a late 1987 GN built probably have one very very close to the end of production.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

^^^ I believe it , because when I realized I had #5 of the TTA's I was extremely impressed. I bought it without a clue ... I am sure the same goes for someone with an early OR late gn ---

OOOH I cant wait to add to this story. My story goes a bit further back so bare with me....Guys like Dennis & Grumpy might remember better than you YOUNG guys.

Well if anyone knew the Boston area back in the 60's it was a happening place. Lots of greasers, hippies, etc, etc...
I remember seeing SKY high jacked up late 50's early 60's cars. You could hear drag races off in the distance or RTE 2.... all 4 speed cars WHINNING thru the gears.;)

To a 7 to 10 year old it was like watching rolling candy all those years with old & HOT NEW CARS driving around everywhere.

Dad use to take us out to REVERE BEACH & the LYNNWAY. You were surrounded on the parkway by Mopars & Goats & Vettes & Mustangs VIRTUALLY A SMORGASHBOARD of HOT CARS!.

I remember being in Dads 64 RAMBLER at center front middle lane of red light. These 2 Mopars
maybe 65 or 66 boxy LOUD cars pull up reving on each side of us. The light turned GREEN & it felt like dad was going backwards as those MOPARS RACED off I WAS HOOKED.

Well I met member Pronto in 6th grade which I think was 1970.
We lived in Suburb of BOSTON. We had our Stingray bike , HOT wheel redlines & dreamed of when we would get our liscenses. We built Models of cars all winter. We begged our Dad's to take us to NEW ENGLAND DRAGWAY.

Unfortunalty by 1976 the muscle glory was fading but you could get these cars CHEAP. I remember looking at SOME WINGED MOPAR that was $1300 dollars :eek: a Shelby $2250 :eek::eek:

Anyway by 1977 I had 2 GTO's for $1k total. I raced brakets at NED. Slowly these cars faded away & nobody liked them.

The rage was Datsun B series, or Trans Ams of the late 70's early 80's.

I got out of cars by 81 selling them all. (v-vega & 73 Z-28)

That bug stayed with me & ate away little by little. I saw the 83 Monte SS & thought wow nice car Crappy 305. as I still bought Hot car magazines.
I saw lots of Black regals driving around in 86.
I went to local dealer which had a 85 Maroon monte ss & a 85 GN. The sales man said the GN had a v-6. You want a v-8. MISTAKE I popped for the MONTE. Got married in 86 & Monte got Stolen :) while wife was driving it.

Took me many years to finally climb back into cars. in mid 90's got an 81 TA with 400 transplant to wet my whitsle, then got 70 GTO.

Was at drags when all these BLACK CARS & WHITE TA's invaded Dragstrip.
These cars kept beating the BIG v-8 cars WHY?????
Grumpy's Daughter TOASTED my 81 TA at strip I felt like my dad when we were in his Rambler!

I said when one of these black cars came up for sale I am going to take one on a test ride. I took a 87 GN out & salesman came with me. I don't think either of us knew what was coming next. I stepped on the pedal & WOOSH!
He was holing the dash & I was petrified. I knew then this is what I had to have.
Traded the GTO & got an 86 GN. Sold the GN for current ride. :wink:

OOOH I cant wait to add to this story. My story goes a bit further back so bare with me....Guys like Dennis & Grumpy might remember better than you YOUNG guys.

Well if anyone knew the Boston area back in the 60's it was a happening place. Lots of greasers, hippies, etc, etc...
I remember seeing SKY high jacked up late 50's early 60's cars. You could hear drag races off in the distance or RTE 2.... all 4 speed cars WHINNING thru the gears.;)

To a 7 to 10 year old it was like watching rolling candy all those years with old & HOT NEW CARS driving around everywhere.

Dad use to take us out to REVERE BEACH & the LYNNWAY. You were surrounded on the parkway by Mopars & Goats & Vettes & Mustangs VIRTUALLY A SMORGASHBOARD of HOT CARS!.

I remember being in Dads 64 RAMBLER at center front middle lane of red light. These 2 Mopars
maybe 65 or 66 boxy LOUD cars pull up reving on each side of us. The light turned GREEN & it felt like dad was going backwards as those MOPARS RACED off I WAS HOOKED.

Well I met member Pronto in 6th grade which I think was 1970.
We lived in Suburb of BOSTON. We had our Stingray bike , HOT wheel redlines & dreamed of when we would get our liscenses. We built Models of cars all winter. We begged our Dad's to take us to NEW ENGLAND DRAGWAY.

Unfortunalty by 1976 the muscle glory was fading but you could get these cars CHEAP. I remember looking at SOME WINGED MOPAR that was $1300 dollars :eek: a Shelby $2250 :eek::eek:

Anyway by 1977 I had 2 GTO's for $1k total. I raced brakets at NED. Slowly these cars faded away & nobody liked them.

The rage was Datsun B series, or Trans Ams of the late 70's early 80's.

I got out of cars by 81 selling them all. (v-vega & 73 Z-28)

That bug stayed with me & ate away little by little. I saw the 83 Monte SS & thought wow nice car Crappy 305. as I still bought Hot car magazines.
I saw lots of Black regals driving around in 86.
I went to local dealer which had a 85 Maroon monte ss & a 85 GN. The sales man said the GN had a v-6. You want a v-8. MISTAKE I popped for the MONTE. Got married in 86 & Monte got Stolen :) while wife was driving it.

Took me many years to finally climb back into cars. in mid 90's got an 81 TA with 400 transplant to wet my whitsle, then got 70 GTO.

Was at drags when all these BLACK CARS & WHITE TA's invaded Dragstrip.
These cars kept beating the BIG v-8 cars WHY?????
Grumpy's Daughter TOASTED my 81 TA at strip I felt like my dad when we were in his Rambler!

I said when one of these black cars came up for sale I am going to take one on a test ride. I took a 87 GN out & salesman came with me. I don't think either of us knew what was coming next. I stepped on the pedal & WOOSH!
He was holing the dash & I was petrified. I knew then this is what I had to have.
Traded the GTO & got an 86 GN. Sold the GN for current ride. :wink:

kirban 2 cents worth

Good story hearing from someone near my age....with a Pontiac/GTO connection as we got into the GTO business around 1978. I remember some of this wing cars sitting as left overs on Chrysler lots back in 1970-71.

Also selling the only Hemi car I owned for a whopping 9 grand thinking that was big money for a 22,000 mile 1967 GTX Hemi....which I could not drive to its potential since the octane levels in gas was starting to fade away.

Keep them coming.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

We got some great news to annouce this Wednesday under this thread! Member to put post it on your computer to to look for kirban christmas contest under a new thread under turbo lounge. It will be a 2-parter with some great prizes.

Meantime see next post for a warm up contest.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Rules like always no employees related to Turbo Buicks can participate.

This opening contest is very very easy. First correct answer is a winner and a DVD will be awarded.

Here goes for you late nighters:

Every year 1984-1987 original Turbo Regal had a single digit on a certain part. Name the part I am thinking of.

Simple:

As they say the clock is ticking.......

kirban 2 cents worth

With everyones memories of Turbo Regals here is one I thought readers would enjoy. Appreciate Mr. AMC posting this for me. The ad is dated October of 1987 for Sea View Buick out of New Jersey. Not sure if the small print is readable but the discounted price onthe new 1987 Grand National amounted to a $1,600 saving.

While a lot has changed since 1987 we still lack the ability to turn back the clocks to 1987! Enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Attachments

• 1987 GN Ad (Medium).JPG
    1987 GN Ad (Medium).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 207