Kirban 1,600 mile '87 GN Barn Find Clean up Thread

That's pretty darn cool. is this that same rust remover stuff they used on the Miss Belvedere time capsule car?

Great thread - do you know what the name of the product is that is removing the rust? It seems to work very well.

Yes, I believe this thing was undercoated at some point in time.. :O

The liquid product Tom Fischer at Muscle Car Alley is using can be found at For great rust removal Safest Rust Remover

Thus far it has really worked well. Tom is thinking of "tweaking" his spray system, and giving it another round.

It looks like it's going to clean up nicely. However, due to the age of the surface rust (this car was parked in late '87-early '88, and basically sat until 3-4 weeks ago), there is quite of bit of pitting on some parts. :(

FWIW I work in a steel mill in the rolling mill part and we honestly use liquid toilet bowl cleaner to remove surface rust on old rolls and it works like a charm. I was completely shocked the first time i watched it.

FWIW I work in a steel mill in the rolling mill part and we honestly use liquid toilet bowl cleaner to remove surface rust on old rolls and it works like a charm. I was completely shocked the first time i watched it.

Hmm, really? I might have to try it out...interesting.The thing with the product im using now is that it will NOT damage paint or decals. Not sure if the toilet bowl cleaner will.

I am currently re-doing my spraying system. As anyone knows, the first build leads to other ideas....this time around should be pretty darn cool..we are modifying attatchments to the system for different targeted areas. So far i have a couple grand into this system, and countless hours. its quite the process to do what i'm doing. But in the end i believe for the guy who would like to keep thier car together and not spend thousands on a resto type, this will be the ticket.

More pics comin soon.....

WOW

A lot of people are going to be eating their words in regards to this car, myself included. If you get that looking presentable without a full disassemble and media blasting, you are going to gain some business.

Here are some updates...

DSC01652.jpg

Not any rust left on rear end area...just pitting that looks "funny" in the pics.

Should finish up the front end next week or first of year.:biggrin:

Great to see this car saved! Imagine if it sat in that same environment another 10-20 years. :eek: