Kinda Worried...

The race car count was down a little from last year. I was surprised as well at the small number of show cars, however there have been cars in the show in the past that had no business being there. There were several people that I know of that made the trip, but didn't bring a car due to various stages of work on their vehicles. Overall I was pleased with the attendance of an event that only gets promoted by these boards and word of mouth. There are some big events at BG thoughout the year, and they all have taken bigger losses in attendance and participation than the GS Nationals. I would like to THANK all of those that did make the trek to BG, and hope that you all had/have a safe trip back home.

It is such a bad time of year for us in the North,:mad: either the weather is good or real bad.The cost to tow that far and sit in the train is too much:(Congrats to all that were their and some pics would be nice;)

Kevin

I have a TON of video footage I'll be working in today; just got back at 4:30am. The event was great and I think it's still a great event. Who cares what attendance was compared to other years; just as long as they can keep it going. There were plenty of first time attendees there and first time Nats racers that I met, so that is a great sign. Weather could have been nicer, but moving back to May is a crap shoot. May is the most wet month in BG and October is the least wet.

I have been to every BG event since 1993 and enjoyed every one of them. Even though the weather didnt always cooperate. The attendance was down this year, but so is everything else. It's just sign of the times. A great bunch of people. I will continue to support the event as long as i can and hope others do too. And the theft incident was unfortunate , but not a common occurrence. That wont deter me from being there. I will just bring a pitt bull and tie it to my car!! Lol. Guys, please dont give up on this event. Keep coming and bring all your friends. Maybe they will buy a Buick and bring it to Bowling Green with you.Howard Gaston,

I have been to every BG event since 1993 and enjoyed every one of them. Even though the weather didnt always cooperate. The attendance was down this year, but so is everything else. It's just sign of the times. A great bunch of people. I will continue to support the event as long as i can and hope others do too. And the theft incident was unfortunate , but not a common occurrence. That wont deter me from being there. I will just bring a pitt bull and tie it to my car!! Lol. Guys, please dont give up on this event. Keep coming and bring all your friends. Maybe they will buy a Buick and bring it to Bowling Green with you.Howard Gaston,
thefts? my friend was there last months NMCA race he took 2 late model corvetts and a 2010 camaro race car, along with his toter home, he said he wasnt concerned about theif at all, just a buick thing,

Alot of it is the kids are in school, and all the sports are cranking up for the little ones so that makes it difficult for folks with kids to make it. I know of several that would have went if it were not for that. Weather was predicted to be rather ok, mid to low 60's with a 20% chance of rain thereabouts each day....although the weather turned out to be much different than that and very cold brisk winds, I don't think that was the reason for low attendance since the forecast wasn't all that bad...too bad the weather man was dead wrong.
Theft is always a concern for my Buick...parts are not plentiful like the late model cars, so that makes them a prime target. Mine was heavily secured during the power tour, soon technology should make it where thieves will be scared to steal a car as they can be caught in minutes if the technology is used right :)

There were about a usual number of racers I thought, car show was about a 1/3 of what I have seen in the past, over attendance was awful, the stands never had very many people in them...I remember at the 25th there was hardly any empty seats except for the top rows at the starting line.

Yeah, we arrived Wednesday, didn't see a single Buick in the hotel parking lot or on the streets, didn't see one until almost to the track Thursday...used to the streets were packed, one at every stop light.

There were buicks running the streets as recently as a few years ago when i went the year before it got flooded out....

I would like to see this event go back to may or early june.It is not the same in Oct.The track is about the same but after you leave the track it is cold and not to many poeple hanging out in the parking lots bench racing,which I think is half the fun of going to Bowling Green.

Dennis

I like it being in October, turbos like cool weather. Besides,in may I'd be less concerned with theft than I'd be of my car being 20 feet under water... Lol

I believe the rules say that it must be Buick powered to race.

While this is true, and the S10 and Corvair I know both had Buick V8s, the two late model camaros were def not Buick powered. There was also a late model LS Firebird there, wtf? I understand if you are friends of the track owners, have a Buick there, whatever, but I don't like to see non-Buick powered vehicles out the same weekend as us. Lowers the value of the event. Hope it doesn't turn into LS fest like most events.

This year's date conflicted with my KS Speedway season tics. I am really looking forward to going next year

If anyone has kept up on the "thefts" from last year, I believe it was an isolated incident. I believe the person was caught, I believe it was not a long and thought planned incident.
I don't think taking your Buick to the Nationals puts you anymore at risk for being stolen than driving it to the grocery store, or going to your local race track or even to another Buick only event.
If some stupid non working piece of shit thief wants to steal it, it doesn't matter where you are or when you are they are going to take it.
Times have changed and people have no respect for other people's property. Maybe we should stiffen the laws to include cutting fingers or hands off of thieves. Maybe they would think twice about it.
But until then we should not let an isolated incident ruin attending an event that has had a proven track record of being a wonderful race, show and fellowship event.
We can't allow criminals to empower us and by changing our plans does just that.
I agree we should take a few more precautions but don't stop attending.
Maybe start planning now and everybody throw an extra 20 bucks in or something to hire an off duty police officer to do security at the track from 6,7 or 8pm til the same the next morning.... Leave your rigs there.. Or the same for a parking lot at a hotel...
My 2cents.…

We travel in a group every time we go to events. we all share motel rooms + costs, we all chip in for food at the track and that alone keeps the costs down.. Hell even this year I brought a Air-Mattress along for another to crash on in the room.... It's all about keeping the costs down for everyone and it seems to work out well...

On the theft thing, It didn't seem to effect anyone that came with us but it was still in the back of our heads. We even stayed at one of the motels where one of the rig's were stolen at and we were fine. It was an isolated incident with one group passing through BG that knew the event was being held there because one of them actually had a Turbo Buick. Now believe me when I say this I was still scared to death about getting my stuff stolen but it also boils down to the precautions you take when you park your vehicle at night. Last year they stole complete "Rig's" and not just cars by themselves...

Here is what I do:

I always park under a very lighted area
Ask where the motel cameras are and park near them
Disconnect ECM or fuel pump to prolong them even more
Always rent a ground floor room and park in front of the room window every night (even if you have to bring cones to save the spot)
When we were packed up and stayed Sat night I parked the front of my tow rig against a concrete wall and the rear of the car Gary & Donnie parked right behind it very close so it was boxed in. It was still there in the morning!

Any further security measures are sure to add to the security of your vehicle being stolen ANYWHERE!

I noticed a lot of cars and trailers boxed in this year at various hotel parking lots since my lot shared property with 5-6 other hotels. I talked with a number of veteran diehard v8 guys who have been attending since the inception and several have cars getting built as we speak or after taking a hiatus are getting back in the game.

Plus it was an older crowd to begin with as well. Several diehard guys are not doing well health wise and cars are being sold or not being driven and thus not taken to event.

Bogie hit the nail on the head, it was an isolated theft bc the owner owns/owned a TR and wanted to take one bc he knew the Nats were that weekend. I always see people in the parking lots drinking or doing whatever at all hours. The cold weather provided some of the best TR racing i have seen in years. Sure weather was cooler but cars were flying. This was my first time back since 2003 after not missing an event since 1989. Sure attendance and overall car count is a lot less than when they would run time trials and eliminations all day saturday and finish at 9pm. Those days are gone but still a very devout group of guys who keep coming year after year.

The place will always be Buick mecca. I wanted to see more older Buicks because BCA was getting involved with car show. Believe me i have thrown money up the rear at Columbus for BPG and still our car count has never met my expectations. Now the track is not everyones favorite for a variety of reasons and the heat kills performance and thus makes many people just attend and minus a car because it nullifies their performance.

I think long term Buick clubs need to merge as Clint Atkins and I have talked, BPG, GSCA and BCA. The chances of it happening are about as good as me becoming the Pope.
We all love the cars, we want to see the best of the best show up to be put on center stage for the car show and racing. Good pr promotes these cars for new enthusiasts to join and spend money which supports restoration, performance, shops, etc and also increases values of our cars. Put people do not look at the picture and everyone wants to take the glory for being responsible for success. We have been talking about this for years but who knows what will ever happen. We have a lot of events for an ever dwindling population of not only cars but also attendance wise because the originals are starting to get sick and die off. Quite a few original GS guys i have known for a while who have multiple cars are now talking about downsizing due to age health etc. Sad to see walking the lanes seeing cars scattered this past weekend bc i can remember the days of the place being absolutely all over the place and street racing down Scottsville and burnouts at the Auto Zone.

Keep the faith and keep supporting the events or they will die. I had the most fun i have had in a long time at a Buick event and cant wait to bring a car next year. To me attendance was better than i was expecting and election has people nervous. May is hit or miss and if you have a repeat of the flood the losses of personal property will cause people to never attend again. Sacrifice warm weather for cooler and better racing. Summer sure people cant bring kids but you cant win and get everything. Give and take as life is a two way street.

Razor and VETKILR said it best its a combination of things fuel cost, more Buick events, Age of cars and people. We all need to make the GS Nationals a priorty by attending with your car before its too Late!! I have been to 25 of the 32 events and October has been the best weather for Racers and for the car show. Why do we pay the cost of Collector Car Insurance if we are going to be afraid to take them to 1st class events like this and enjoy them. For the price of a NOS wheel opening molding you can buy a GPS tracking device for your car.