Kinda pissed about my second champion race intake

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
I would strongly advice anyone that has ordered a new champion race intake to double check the ports . This is my second one and the water port is jacked . I filled in my other one with epoxy after it was leaking water into my lifter valley . You would think they would pay attention when porting these out . And if anything under port the .It right where the gasket seals hot pressurized water from hot oil . I thought it was just the one but I guess there is more then 1 acoming like this .

Attachments

• IMG_5479.JPG
    IMG_5479.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    645.3 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_4747.JPG
    IMG_4747.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_4748.JPG
    IMG_4748.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    992.8 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
I recently installed mine. I never noticed the water ports. Everything seems fine though. Driven about 100 miles and no issues. Sorry to hear.

So the first one I bought second hand and this one was brand new on center with the same F**k up . Looks like I'll have to lay some weld down and port it right

So the first one I bought second hand and this one was brand new on center with the same F**k up . Looks like I'll have to lay some weld down and port it right
I wouldn't weld it unless you are going to re-surfaced. I used fel pro 1000 for about 10 years with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have installed many Champion race intakes, and all of them are required to be machined to fit the heads properly. like many aftermarket performance items, it is not a plug-and-play part.

The head surfaces on these intakes are slightly oversize to allow a proper fit no matter what machining has been done to the block and heads.

We fit the intake after the heads are installed to check angle of the heads to the intake flanges, as well as port alignment.

Many variables come into play including the thickness of the intake gasket.

We have installed many Champion race intakes, and all of them are required to be machined to fit the heads properly. like many aftermarket performance items, it is not a plug-and-play part.

The head surfaces on these intakes are slightly oversize to allow a proper fit no matter what machining has been done to the block and heads.

We fit the intake after the heads are installed to check angle of the heads to the intake flanges, as well as port alignment.

Many variables come into play including the thickness of the intake gasket.

I get that I would have to do some port matching . It's supposed to be roughly matched off a standard gasket FP1200 . I have no problem blending in the intake but having to add material and then re port it the way it should have came is the issue . My TA heads lined up perfect to the 1200 .and they also say it's a rough port . It just sucks because it's right at the sealing surface of the gasket and it's water hot pressurized water :-( . Anyway I just thought that it was just the one and I received this one and agian the water port . I'm not mad at Tom the person I'm sure he is a great guy doing what he can . Just the machine work should be under ported if anything .

It looks like the water passage was cast like that to start with. I agree with Brian that I wouldn't start welding on it to fix the problem for fear of creating larger problems. A little JB weld in the corner will probably take care of this. We used to have to do something similar on 455 BBB front covers that were corroded back when no one made a replacement part.

Neal

i guess they are all like that. I just checked a Brand New one i have sitting on a shelf.... its the same. So don't feel too special :D

Yea i did the epoxy thing with my first one Neal. Was shooting for a permanent fix for this one

Attachments

• IMG_4747.JPG
    IMG_4747.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4748.JPG
    IMG_4748.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 157
What about returning them?

Is this not an option?

A breached coolant passage is not acceptable.

No I'm just going to fix them . And continue on with my build .

My off center is like that too but it has never leaked. It's a fairly old manifold, I think I bought it back around 2009 or so.

I use the felpro 1200's.

Yea the water port on both of them are on the drivers side

That is an obvious issue that should have been corrected before they were sold to the public.

Whether cast that way or a CNC program screw up it is obvious just looking at it that it could present a problem and shouldn't be sold like that.

Jb weld isn't what I would call a solution to a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. I would send it back if I bought one that way new and have them weld it and machine it even though I could do it myself.

Since when did the poor quality of parts become acceptable on something as simple to make as an intake???

Guess what... ? So I just picked up another motor with a champion race intake and this one has booth sides messed up :-(