Killed a crotch rocket

RJ REYNOLDS

This kill took place a few months ago, but I’m just getting around to sharing now.
I rarely drive my car on the street because I hate how slow it feels on pump gas. (That has been resolved as I recently switched over to E-85.) On this occasion I had still had Sunoco 116 race gas in the car running 28 psi from the final race at Firebird.
With over 650 passes on my Len Freeman built tranny, the summer upon us and both tracks in the Phoenix area closed, I figured it would be a good time to freshen up the trans. I dropped the car off with Nick Micale at Arizona GN and picked it up a week later on a Sunday afternoon around 1:30.
On my way home I took the 101 Freeway. On the on ramp I punched it to see how the trans would shift at WOT. The car felt fast and the shifts were nice and crisp. I moved around some slower traffic and settled in at 65 MPH in the fast lane.
I immediately noticed a couple of crotch rockets approaching in the HOV lane. At first I thought they were friends that were just playing with each other, but as they got closer it appeared the bigger bike was trying to get the smaller bike to race him. After the smaller bike refused to play, the bigger bike flew past me and then did a double take and slowed down next to me.
Now, I know nothing about bikes, so I have no idea what it was. All I remember was that it had a huge back tire, and was noticeably larger than the other bike he was just messing with.
The dude gave me a head nod as if to say, “Let’s go.” I scanned up ahead and checked my mirrors for cops. There was nobody ahead of us for about a mile, and the traffic behind us was pretty far back, so I nodded back. The dude down shifted a gear and wanted me to take the go, so I punched it.
I hit 28 psi almost instantly and immediately started putting lengths on him. I watched in my mirror as I continued to pull away. I could hear his bike screaming and he was hunched over trying to reel me back in, but I was too far ahead. I stayed in it pretty long and backed out only after I started to approach traffic.
I have never run my car all out like this before and fully expected the bike to catch me and go by, but to my surprise my car continued to pull the whole time I was in it and did not hit the aerodynamic wall.
I eventually slowed down to the speed of the traffic that I caught and the bike rolled up next to me and gave me a thumb’s up. I gave him a thumb’s up and moved over to take my exit home.
Now that I am running E-85 with 120lb injectors, I plan on racking up more kills to share with this section.

Nice kill, RJ!

Turbo-spools-Car-memes.jpg

I love GN's (am looking to buy one right now) but looking at your 1/4 times, you came up against a guy who didn't know how to ride his bike.
I own a 425rwhp accelerates faster than a stock busa in 1st, and a stock busa can beat any 1000hp car.
When you say fat tire on a crotch rocket that tells me the bike is owned by a showman , as fat tires on crotch rockets actually eat horse power, the bigger the tire the more power that is lost.

Regardless good kill, even if the guy didnt know how to ride, he got what he deserved.

Anytime you can pull a big bike on the top end, you've earned HUGE respect. I imagine this guy will brake out in a cold sweat for a long time every time he hears his tea kettle whistle. :D

Legendary kill...

Mike Barnard

Ha, ha, ha. Good kill and that look is always priceless.

I got that look a few years ago when I passed three bikes that were passing another vehicle. They went WOT and so did I but they still lost ground. They were all under 750/800 cc newer rockets but still capable of low 12's/high 11's.

Anytime you can pull a big bike on the top end, you've earned HUGE respect. I imagine this guy will brake out in a cold sweat for a long time every time he hears his tea kettle whistle. :D

Legendary kill...

Mike Barnard

I love the look when heads snap to see what is causing the scream/whistle when my turbo spools. My son says that's all you hear in the stands at the track till I go by.

Mikey

Good Job RJ.
Glad to see you guys holding down the streets while I work on building my business. I'll be back in action soon... ;-)

Best race I've had with a bike was the one against a Honda CBR 900RR. He pulled me a little from the dig, and then I caught him and slowly went around him. He was busting up at the next light saying, "I should have known better! I'm a drag race photographer....you DO NOT race these things (pointing at me car) you just don't race them!"

That was the day I verified I have a solid mid 10 second capable tune...