killed a 71 trans-am HO today

inkcushion

I need parts to go fast
I raced a 71 trans-am with a 400 worked over! we ran head up from a dead stop . I launced at about 3lbs of boost and that was it,the only thing worked over on that car was my car kicking his azz!But the car looked good, I have to give him credit on that and it sounded mean as well! It was a good race but he had nothing to give!!!!!! another one bites the dust!!!!!!!!!!! Until next time........ drive it like you stole it!

Something sounds murky here. The 71 Trans Am is supposed to have a 455 cid engine making 460 + lbs of torque--good for low/low 13s. The 400 was in the Ram Air 69/70 good for mid to low 14s. It must have not been a 71. A close to stock GN will not run with a close to stock 71 455 TA.

TA kill

Congratulations on the kill. However, I'd like to point out that the 1971-72 Trans Ams only came with 455cid, and in the form of the High Output 455. These ran about 14.3-14.1@100.5mph+, and all that at 8.4 compression! With the simple addition of headers, Motor Trend reports 13.8@105.6mph,(June 98), with a 2800 stall, headers and MSD ignition 12.9@108mph,(HPP April 98). All this out of a 4000# car saddled with leaf spring rear, 3.42 gears and smog era compression, or lack thereof, (335HP&480ft./lb.)! So once again, kudos on the kill, you put away a classic big block! Altough I should mention the possibility that it could be a "faked" Trans Am, ala Espirit, or base firebird with 2bbl./base V-8; I only wonder as the ease with which you beat him and that the vehicle didn't have the right engine.

A 71 455 TA running 14.1 ???

IMO These cars have the ability to trap the quarter @ 104/105 mph...that's low 13s. I really believe that a majority of those old mag track times are suspect due to questionable track conditions and a variety of other factors (stock "Puny" Polyglass tires). I can pull up an article of a stock 87 GN running 15 sec quarter, stock GNX running 13.9, and a 14.2 for a 89 Turbo Trans Am. This doesn't mean that these cars are not capable of more. My TTA ran 13.4 in stock configuration @ 16.5 lbs of boost.

I can guarantee you that a 71 TA with some air/fuel mixture adj, timing adv by couple degrees, a tank of race gas, modern rubber, will nail a low 13. As far as I am concerned the tweaks above (minus the rubber) still constitutes a "stock" car.

Like the TR, alot depends on how well it's tuned and how good the driver can launch the car. My friends 72 455 T/A ran low 15s. He couldn't get off the line. He blew that engine and put a 400 with E heads and roller cam. NOT tuned properly it ran 14.3. Had much more in it but he's not into tuning. On the other hand I have seen some GNs at the track with all kinds of mods and they ran 14s. Pretty much the same issues. There are tons of guys with more money than car sense and it shows.

here we go , the guy said it had a 400 in itthat had some work done to it? What kind of work I don't know,but I'll tell you this the car didn't have a 2 barrel in it ,and I know it was healthy,but back to the kill the guy did'nt stand a chance 455 or 400. like everone said my car went a 12.8 last outing with some worn out ****,but its back and running good alot stronger than a 12.8,so even if it did have a 455 it still wouldn't run agaisnt my car on a good day!I'll call the owner tomm. and find out the specifics on the car and the motor........

I know a shop in Sacramento building a Pontiac motor...don't remember a lot about it...some special block, special heads, huge (.800 lift) cam... I do remember that it was going in a '71 T/A and it was supposed to have 2000hp or some crazy number like that.

That is one 455 I wouldn't want to mess with...

Good kill Ink, although racing on the street is not the most sensible thing to do (read dangerous) it does have it's advantages and disadvantages. The biggies are momentum and traction. Back in the day I won against many faster cars(momentum) and I've lost to many slower cars(traction). Point is a Kill is a Kill, the only numbers that matter are the ones on "your" time slip. Later...

Inkcushion
I am sure your Buick Turbo V-6 is quick no doubt. Nevertheless Pontiac 455 (Pontiac engines in particular) are torquey out of the box, and are capable of high 10s/low 11s with heads/cam/fuel pump/intake mods. HPP magazine features articles every week with toolers and their variety of 400s/455s running impressive numbers. You might say these engines are not stock...but if your GN is running 12.8...yours isn't either.

I am a TTA owner and know the potential of the Buick 3.8 first hand...BUT I am also a old school Firebirder who knows the potential of Pontiac Torque--they deserver their due. I have a worked over 1970 Firebird with "tiny" Pontiac 350 with a "huge" 3.75 inch stroke that gets off the line quite well (considering it's only a "350"). A neighbor with a close to stock GN (daily driver) made the mistake of picking a fight at the light (thinking he was going to walk another old time "weak kneed" chevy 350) Wrong.

:D

The buddy who's friend owns a 72 TA 455 running low 15s needs to either sell the car to me :D or pay someone who knows how to tune the car. It would be embarrassing if his 455 went down in flames against someone like myself with a "tiny" 350.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/dmaya...dmayans77/lst?&.dir=/Firebird&.src=bc&.view=t

trans am specs

alright I talked to the guy today heres what he said: the car is a 78 my bad I was way off, it has a 68 400 in it, it has heads,ported-polished bigger valves- block is 30 over with flat top pistons? i guess so he could run nitruos? double roller timing chain, cam, and some sort of bigger gearsI don't remember what he said? But anyways its far from stock it sounded really good I like the sound of a healthy v8 Not putting them down I'll give them their dues they are bad azz just not bad azz enough for the darkside!!!!!!!!!!

Re: trans am specs

Originally posted by inkcushion
alright I talked to the guy today heres what he said: the car is a 78 my bad I was way off, it has a 68 400 in it, it has heads,ported-polished bigger valves- block is 30 over with flat top pistons? i guess so he could run nitruos? double roller timing chain, cam, and some sort of bigger gearsI don't remember what he said? But anyways its far from stock it sounded really good I like the sound of a healthy v8 Not putting them down I'll give them their dues they are bad azz just not bad azz enough for the darkside!!!!!!!!!!
Also not to Knock the TR-why would i want to if i have one, but this guy sounds alittle slow. Kinda like guys that tell you their Pontiac has a big block. (as opposed to a small block Pont?). Big valves comment is the red flag. Bigger valves than what? 2bbl heads? He shouldve given you a good drag and then started receeding as your turbo dug in. He could be strapped with a smog axle. Ive seen big valves and cams slow many a big v-8 DOWN.

Oh ya the guy also said he had headers,and about the bigger valves I'm just telling what he said! The car did run just not good enough!!!!!

I love it. Anytime someone says they bested a pontiac all the TTA and pontiac lovers get on here and tell you how the guy didn't know how to drive how the car must not have been up to par blah blah blah.

But if you had said you wasted a Chevelle bigblock hardly anything would be said.

Pontiac guys I like the fact that you guys are so loyal but at the same time the attitude that a mid 12 second gn or any other 12 second car could not walk 90 % of the old poncho's even with some work is silly.

Can they run fast sure. Do they on an average. NO!!

Don't get me wrong. I love old muscle and any fast car.But to act like most of the old muscle cars are running around doing low 12's and 11's on the streets so his story could not be possible is just wrong.

Good kill INK!!

:D