Kill Switch

Rubicon 327

Protected by Attack Cat
In my search to find out why I lost taillights (not brake) just running taillights I came across an alarm that I knew the car had but wasn't sure how to use and just want to remove to avoid future starting problems. I came across a "CERTAIN" wink wink;) colored 10/12 gauge wire on the Buick harness that the alarm taps into and when I cut out the alarm found what I figured and that CERTAIN colored wire is the ignition kill and unless I solder that "STOCK BUICK" wire back together the car doesn't start or even turn over.

MY QUESTION..... Is this where most of you all put a super secret kill switch in that "STOCK BUICK" wire and then hide the switch somewhere? Or is there a better less obvious place to tap into that isn't right under the column where a thief is first going to look?

**** Now I'm not expecting anyone to give up special information on this public board that would compromise the safety and security of our cars, I'm just looking for a yes or no answer. I realize doing it would be better than nothing but it's an obvious place for thieves to start looking (under the column) for a kill switch and I'm not sure how I could extend the switch wire to say where ever, with out it looking obvious and not like stock.......I'm talking about a stray wire under the dash going off to nowhere by it's self.

Any info is appreciated and PM's welcome on this subject to keep info safe.

Oh and if anyone has any ideas on the tail lights I'm all ears.......so far I have checked,

1.Fuses on fuse block.
2.Main wire connection in trunk and the ground.... All look good with no corrosion or bare spots and gave them a tug and push and not even a flicker of light.

Have not done any tests with a meeter yet as I got sidetracked with all the alarm wire krap I wanted gone.

My guess is a bad dash switch or fuse link B?....from some searching I have done on here as to a cause. As I don't see anything obvious yet under the dash or in the trunk yet.

I think and am not positive but I think this may have happened after all the work in my sig was done.....I quite sure the lights were working before all this work just not sure about after, and I don't drive it much at night.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advise!

IMO, the simplest and most effective way to effectively provide a "no-start" condition is to ground the CAM sensor signal wire. Ground it, no spark and no fuel - no flooding of the engine either. Crank the engine all day long, won't start. Period.

Now, to facilitate the grounding of the signal, I have my own suggestions, but don't want to post them here for obvious reasons. I can say it includes a very small "stealth" switch in a very discreet location. There is also a stealth way to get to that signal wire, using a jumper inside the wire harness that can be wrapped up into it. Retrieving the wire inside the cockpit would be easy at that point. Then, wiring to that switch becomes a simple task.

Anyway, teaser finished.

Thanks GNVenom,

I would be interested in more info if you'd like to PM me on it!

As for the taillights I just found a brown wire in a group of other wires that plug into the side of the fuse block that looks as though it may have been accidentally cut and it is a solid aluminum? wire, not stranded copper wire. When I touched them together and checked the taillights were working again. Soldered back together and all is good now!

FYI, it's so much easier to take the seat out when working under the dash! Now to go put it back together and enjoy this spring like weather we are having here!

I think I just might do a write-up on this subject. It would involve some simple wiring, but the end result would be a good anti-theft feature that can be used along with other measures to prevent theft.

Let's face it, our turbo Regals and GN's are still on the top ten list of cars stolen for parts, and they're only going to get more stolen...can't avoid that since parts are so rare.

I think I just might do a write-up on this subject. It would involve some simple wiring, but the end result would be a good anti-theft feature that can be used along with other measures to prevent theft.

Let's face it, our turbo Regals and GN's are still on the top ten list of cars stolen for parts, and they're only going to get more stolen...can't avoid that since parts are so rare.

Please do the write up- it would help a lot of owners!!

Here's what I'm thinking. I can put together a Plug And Play kit designed specifically as a stealth anti-theft add-on. Now, here's the kicker. I don't want to advertise how it installs or functions, so what I'm thinking, it would be a "brown-bag" sort of kit. You would order it off the website and won't know anything about it until you receive the product. I can advertise it as a "security add-on" with no explanation of what it is...it's up to the turbo Buick owner to take a chance at it.

Does that make any sense? I would be an easy to install kit, very bare-bones, and just simply do the job.

On another thought, I believe we should be putting anti-theft on our tow vehicles! Especially the tow vehicles in light of what's been happening recently.

If you have a Hotwire Kit, remove the fuse. Only you should know where it is located. When you park your car, turn the wheels to full lock so that if a rollback or an idiot tries to move it, it will be damaged by the object you parked close to. You can also get a blinking LED to make them think you have a security system. Hopefully they will notice these and move on to an easier target. HTH.

John, I am definately interested in a kit, especially if it plugs or jumper into the car. I don't like having to cut any wires in the factory harness.

Thanks, Craig