Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump / anyone using??

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
See a lot of Mustang guys using these. Not much mention of Buick guys running them though. Currently running a Walbro 340 with Racetronix hot wire kit and not getting the "recommended" fuel pressure increase of 1 lb of fp for 1 lb of boost. Mentioned what was happening in a previous post and just want to know if this is a worthwhile mod. Have replaced fp regulator, checked for any vacuum leaks, etc etc and seem to be getting 5 lbs less pressure than I should be getting. Fuel restriction removed in hanger, new filter. Pump and tank new as well.

Couple of screenshots of a recent run I did here on the street. No traction spinning the tires up to around 60mph and then ran out of road around 100mph. Was just testing my PTC 9.5 non lockup TC to see what kind of boost I could get off the footbrake. Let it go at 11 lbs knowing it would never hook on the street especially without any burnout. Notice the BLM spike I got at the beginning of the run. This shows up whenever I get on it.

Attachments

• 11lblaunch1.jpg
    11lblaunch1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 272
  • 11lblaunch2.jpg
    11lblaunch2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 271
Just curous if you have a elec sender for the PL and a manual gauge as well?

If so are they reading the same?

I had one on the car since I bought it, had good fuel pressure with the original pump. Bypassed now with the Racetronix hotwire since I put in the 340. I've thought of running the hotwire through it to get to dial up to the 17v they say it can produce, but I have no fuel problems and I'm not going to mess with what's not broke.

I'd replace.the pump for a hundred before I pay $250 for a boost-a-pump.

Pump has probably about 300 miles on it! Just put in recently. Have mechanical gauge as well as the PL logging the fuel pressure.

I have a few cars out there runnin them. Lingenfelter also uses them in BIG HP Vette's :cool:

Mark,

IMO your being too critical. It's not effecting anything. Your afrs are rock solid.

If you had increased fp, you would be pulling fuel from the tune. 6 of 1 or half a dozen of another.

I wouldn't worry too much about the BLM spike. You probably have one cell that learned high (for whatever reason), and as you get on it, you "travel" through that cell.
You can verify this just by looking setting your curser just before that spike, switching to the data screen and then arrow forward in time and watch the highlighter on the cells as it travels during your "getting on it".

While in the data screen you'll see which cell is high

I'd be curious if both mechanical and electric read 60 psi at the same time. :wink: Not that both read 43 psi at the same time.

Because 43 plus 22=65. Be curious if the mechanical read 65 and the electrical read 62. just dotting my i's and crossing my t's :D

Will try to get a bonzai run in this weekend and verify, I am pretty sure I haven't seen the mech gauge go much over 60 at any time.